Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 02:05 AM   #1
Forum Member

Reservoir
Lens: smc-fa 35mm f 2 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Sunol Wilderness, CA ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F4.5 

Trying to get the hang of taking landscapes with the 35mm. Would appreciate any constructive criticism especially regarding dof, composition. PP done in lightroom. Images link to the original size image. Thanks!

bw treatment.

04-23-2010, 02:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I like the color one a lot more, because I think that the black and white one is losing a lot of detail in the sky, although the foreground looks better in the black and white version. By the way, I live kind of near here (the North Bay anyways) so I know what challenges and benefits these Bay Area hills can prove to be, but I think you got it pretty right in this photo. I don't really like the foreground color in the hills on the first one, but the black and white version makes that look much better, but I would still go with the first photo.
04-23-2010, 02:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I like the color one a lot more, because I think that the black and white one is losing a lot of detail in the sky, although the foreground looks better in the black and white version. By the way, I live kind of near here (the North Bay anyways) so I know what challenges and benefits these Bay Area hills can prove to be, but I think you got it pretty right in this photo. I don't really like the foreground color in the hills on the first one, but the black and white version makes that look much better, but I would still go with the first photo.
I concur.
The b&w one seems to be "over-exposed on the top part, and that IMO, caused the picture not so nice.
I prefer the colour one as it shows that the colour is slowly "fading" from the foreground towards the background.
Thanks for sharing.

Cheers.
04-23-2010, 03:18 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Colour for me also - along with the issues noted above, the white balance is slightly off towards the blue end, and could therefore do with an adjustment accordingly. Compositionally, it is pleasant nevertheless.

04-23-2010, 06:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a very nice looking shot, but there are a few things that could be fixed. For one I wish that there was more sky in the picture, if some more sky was added I feel that it would better balance the picture as whole. I also noticed that with the little sky that you do have it is almost blown out. On shots like this it is very important to use a circular polarizer to help keep the sky under some control. If that is not working well enough you could always try to use a graduated neutral density filter and that will definitely help in keeping the sky under control. Also I noticed that you posted the color and black and white version; out of those two I really like the color one the best as it just pops with all the amazing green grass. Also, if you use that circular polarizer that I told you about the greens in the grass would look much colorful and natural as well. Other than those things I really do like this photo, it definitely is a very pretty and amazing location and it has loads of potential.

I hope my advice helps you out,
Cory
04-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the critique folks! I agree about the sky being a bit washed out. I'll see if I can play around a bit more in lightroom to remedy that to whatever extent I can. Will try to use a circular polarizer or a graduated ndf on my next outing.
04-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Call me strange but I like the faded sky on this shot. There is a gradual desaturation towards the back of the image and the sky is part of that. It looks very natural and at the same time like a deliberate choice on your part.

Overall this landscape is very pleasant. The only thing I would look into is the white balance since I find it a bit off.

I notice in the front left some nice mauve wild-flowers in the foreground. This makes me think you could try an alternative shot with more foreground, emphasising the depth of the scene.

What a lovely vista.