Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Leffe
Lens: DA 18-55 Camera: K-x ISO: 6400 Shutter Speed: 1/8s Aperture: F5.6 

This is pretty much what I expected whet I took the picture but still I feel like something is missing
No PP applied

04-23-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a really nice looking shot, the black and white really give the photo a nice mood and it brings out some detail in the glass. Now although there is a good amount of noise in this image I feel that it too adds to the image in a way. To me it gives the photo a film look which is appealing and fun to look at. One thing that I wish was more prominent was the logo on the glass. On my monitor it is relatively dark and hard to read which does hurt the photo some, but not much. Other then that I really like this shot and thanks for sharing.
04-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments Tuner, I did purposely boost up the iso to make that effect
04-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't think this photo is missing anything really, there's not anything technically wrong with it, it's nice and sharp, the grain is great and adds a ton of texture to it, the logo is prominent and the bokeh is very nice, but I guess I would have to agree with Tuner that the logo could be a bit brighter, maybe a local adjustment brush in Lightroom might be able to help you with that little problem too.

04-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's a nice shot indeed, but I would advice to adjust the curves just a little, so the total becomes a little lighter. It's a bit dark for my taste (and usually I like dark shots...). Just missing a complete range of grey, especially on the brighter side.
04-25-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The liquid is too opaque.

Some back lighting to improve transparency a bit would help.

As it is on my screen there could motor oil in that glass as far as I can tell.

Also I have to wonder if the subject really lends it's self to BW?

Last edited by wildman; 04-25-2010 at 07:46 AM.
04-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I don't think this photo is missing anything really, there's not anything technically wrong with it, it's nice and sharp, the grain is great and adds a ton of texture to it, the logo is prominent and the bokeh is very nice, but I guess I would have to agree with Tuner that the logo could be a bit brighter, maybe a local adjustment brush in Lightroom might be able to help you with that little problem too.
Thanks for your comments, I tried the adjustment brush on the logo but I felt it took to much attention and I don't want that. I think that part is ok after all

04-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
I think it's a nice shot indeed, but I would advice to adjust the curves just a little, so the total becomes a little lighter. It's a bit dark for my taste (and usually I like dark shots...). Just missing a complete range of grey, especially on the brighter side.
Thanks Rense,
I think you have a point on it being too dark, but I'm not sure what you mean by adjusting the curves, can you elaborate?
04-25-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
revised

I think I still prefer the original

thoughts?
04-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice. My favorite beer. Wife and I enjoyed a couple of glasses last night at dinner.....brune, of course.
04-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I am not going to comment on this beer, as a Belgian and a son of 3 generations brewers (I should have been the 4th), I am supposed to know what real and good beer is…
The only thing I am missing here, in this picture, is the foam collar on the beer. It should be slightly bold and a little higher than the glass. Next time try real Trappist Ale, then you will know what is good and pure. But, I really do like the mood in this scene, go on!

Santé

Philippe
04-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
I am not going to comment on this beer, as a Belgian and a son of 3 generations brewers (I should have been the 4th), I am supposed to know what real and good beer is…
The only thing I am missing here, in this picture, is the foam collar on the beer. It should be slightly bold and a little higher than the glass. Next time try real Trappist Ale, then you will know what is good and pure. But, I really do like the mood in this scene, go on!

Santé

Philippe
Actually it had a nice thick foam top but I had a few sips before I saw this picture in my eyes. no need to mention I regretted that immediately
04-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WiseOx Quote
Nice. My favorite beer. Wife and I enjoyed a couple of glasses last night at dinner.....brune, of course.
only one that could be mistaken for motor oil
04-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
only one that could be mistaken for motor oil
Compared to genuine Trappist ale, this “beer“ IS motor oil…
This Inbev product is a very popular but degenerated spin off from what used to be a good, honest and authentic ale, it does not even match the Reinheidsgebod. There are only 6 real, authentic, Trappist ales (in Belgium) and one almost genuine (in Holland) and this is it for the rest of the world.
The biggest critic on Leffe is the overdone sweetness and the use of impure basic products that should not be in an honest ale. Compounds such as rice, maize, ascorbic - or citric acid and other chemicals shortening the production time, forcing maturity, controlling fermentation, enhancing the taste, conservation and unrealistic limpidity, and that generate thick foam…

True Trappist ale is brewed in respect to life created by God, as stated by the monks, this is why they only use honest and healthy products to brew their ale.

Of course, there are other good-to-superb ales, particularly in Britain. But, historically, they originate in the abbeys as brewed by the monks during the ‘dark ages‘ and earlier. Beer was a way to make water drinkable and to conserve it. Brewing is mainly purification and conservation and this can only be done in the right state of mind.

Santé

Philippe
04-27-2010, 02:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A good looking picture.
But a wee "noisy", I think. But I feel that the little noise adds to the image in its own way to give the "grainy" look which adds some texture to it.
The picture is tack "sharp", and (in the 2nd picture), the logo is prominent and the bokeh is very nice.
I really like this shot and thanks for sharing.

Cheers.