Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FAIL!! Not Epic, but FAIL...
Lens: Pentax M 100mm Camera: KX Photo Location: My office ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F32 

Ok so does this work... with a flower being long, tall and wide, I just picked the pollen on the middle thingers (yeah, high school biology was long ago, I just remember something about sex)

But with DOF running along the white things and across the pedals, do the OOF things drive attention away from the subject... pollen & such?

I tried straight on, but nothing was in focus except the tips, and I tilted, rotated and bent... with the lens so stopped down there is all kinds of things wrong with edges of the leaves... but I know what causes that... I need help on how to compose this sucker... but enough with what wrong, what else is wrong?

Attached Images

04-28-2010, 12:16 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a fail because it is in no way obvious that the stamen/pollen are the center of interest.

With the razor thin DoF, it just looks messy. If you are going to do something like this, try not to have OOF areas in front of your main subject, it usually doesn't look good, especially in the case of flowers.
04-28-2010, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Mnn.....maybe one way to compose it is to shoot right at the opened petals, so that the pollens look like an offering to you. I would also stop down a couple so viewers can make out the flower....
04-28-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
Nubi

Can you pull it upright, and perhaps try B & W? How about maxing out contrast?? i wouldn't give up on yet it by any means.

Last edited by Nubi; 04-28-2010 at 07:58 AM.