Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #1

Serious Fun
Lens: Tamron 70-300 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Playing at the park ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F5 

Just wanted to get some input. I have only been shooting for a month or so. Went to the park with the kiddos and took some shots while they were at play. I really love this picture even with my son the "subject" being a bit out of focus. It was a bit hard to get perfect focus since I was just running after them while they were playing. I just love his pose especially since it was just candid while he was playing. He just looks so serious! So any suggestions would be greatly Appreciated. My name is Chris by the way and this is my first photo post.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
04-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #2

Original Poster
No advice or suggestions? Anyone?
04-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this photo is not so good... even to family album IMO
out of focus,
face burnin,
hand is cut off,
arrangement is trivial...

try more...
04-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. I was just looking for some guidance and you pulled through.
What would be a good way to keep the sun from nuking the face.

04-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by overkillzone Quote
What would be a good way to keep the sun from nuking the face.
Meter off the face. This will make the rest of the photo darker, but maybe not so much that you can't tell he's on a playground.
05-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I do think that you had a good eye for what you wanted to see and if not for some technical problems it could have been a great shot.
1. I use center point focus then recompose while holding shutter 1/2 depressed to lock focus.
2. As stated above, center weight meter off of fair skinned subjects so as not lose highlights.
3. Try not to cut off hands, arms, or heads unless done for artistic expression but that is a whole dif discussion.
4. Keep shooting and have fun!!! Cute kid, won't be your last chance for a great candid portrait.
05-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nomad Quote
I do think that you had a good eye for what you wanted to see and if not for some technical problems it could have been a great shot.
1. I use center point focus then recompose while holding shutter 1/2 depressed to lock focus.
2. As stated above, center weight meter off of fair skinned subjects so as not lose highlights.
3. Try not to cut off hands, arms, or heads unless done for artistic expression but that is a whole dif discussion.
4. Keep shooting and have fun!!! Cute kid, won't be your last chance for a great candid portrait.
I agree with all of this. I'd add:

Consider turning on the "blinkies" which will show you when you are clipping highlights (and conversely losing shadow detail) and also turn on your histogram so that you will start to recognize what highlight clipping looks like. Apply appropriate compensation and bring the exposure up in post processing.

This can be hard since you are running around a park, but generally on a sunny day, the compensation, once set is fine.

On a sunny day use the opportunity to run a higher shutter speed. This will help both with camera shake and subject movement, overall tending to yield more in focus shots.

If you can wait for the SR "hand" to show up a little after focus lock, do so. If not, again, shutter speed will help.

Keep working at it. Your subject is adorable and you'll get much better at this.

woof!

05-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great advice. I will definately put it all to good use. I love this forum it's full of great people that are quickly willing to help.When your starting in photography that asset is absolutely amazing!