Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Rana Naved-ul-Hasan
Lens: Sigma 600mm f8 mirror Camera: K-x Photo Location: Hove, Sussex, UK ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/2000s Aperture: F8 

Shutter speed was actually 1/2500
I used 1600 ISO as the lens is ok, but not top notch and I prefer to see grain rather than a softness to the image.
The shot shows Rana Naved-ul-Hasan bowling for Sussex against Leicestershire on the second day of a 4 day match. Sussex proved victorious, wrapping the game up in only 3 days. Sussex has been served well over the years by its Pakistani players.

Attached Images

05-02-2010, 05:55 AM   #2
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pose is a little awkward and you should have used a smaller depth of field as the background is too distracting and encompasses the player, especially the white clothed fan to our right, which makes it look like his body is extended or larger than it actually is. It blends into his body. If you got a little to your left, you could have got his leg extending outward in a more suitable action pose than straight at the camera.
05-02-2010, 07:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How could Brighthelmstone10 use a smaller depth of field with a 600mm f/8 mirror lens? I think this is a great shot considering your limitations and how far you must have been from the action.

I do agree that the shot would have been more effective if the bowler's left leg wasn't extended toward the camera. If you could have gotten the left hand in the frame, that would have been great, too. Busy backgrounds aren't too kind to mirror lenses. Or is it the other way around? :P

However, you captured a great expression on his face, which adds so much to a sports photo.

Please post more!
05-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you both for your comments.
I agree entirely that this would look better with a smaller depth of field. Pentax has produced some wonderful long lenses (e.g. 600 f4) and I'd love to have one for this sort of shot; however, even if they were still made, my bank manager would disagree.
This ground used to have a raised stand to the right of where I took this, in line with the wicket, and situated over the indoor nets looking down so that I could get a neutral, out-of-focus grass background. (Please see the attached picture, I scanned in from a picture I took 25 years ago on my beautiful MX, showing the legendary Pakistani all-rounder Imran Khan, who also played for Sussex.
Cricket is not an easy game to photograph (no sports are, that’s why I like it) as all the action happens in the middle. With other sports, the action comes to the side of the playing area and you focus more closely, rendering then background completely neutral.
For interest I attach another picture of Rana Naved, taken on the same day, but from a different view.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo