Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Personally, I'd like to see something a little more eye catching than white. How about pink!!

Last edited by xs400; 08-03-2009 at 04:24 PM.
12-17-2008, 12:10 PM   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I want a blood red model with black trim and an FA77 to match... for hunting vampire!
12-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #138
Veteran Member

You know...I would love to have changable "face plates" or leathers for the camera. Just like I can re-leather my film cameras or change the color of my phone.

If Pentax ever offers a deep red camera with black leathers (the grip too...like the GP version), I'd be the first in line. That would look beautiful with either color FA Limiteds.

lol Robin posted before me
12-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eh. I actually like the white, if I had to have something that conspicuous. With stuff like this, I think it's kind of all about the subtleties: when Pentax went all-ersatz-chrome it just ended up looking *cheap,* whatever the design virtue of it: it's kind of like, 'Yaknow, that's maybe nice to look at, but a subtle eye can tell it's fake in the first place, and, don't put it on anything serious, cause the last thing a photo gal needs when presenting camera to someone is to have it girlied-up.

It's a little like when they market firearms for women, it's like, "OK, superfluous testosterone in design is not needed, but if I have to go tactical on someone's ahem, I'm not trying to accentuate my manicure. "

From what I see on TV, though, all the camera companies are marketing with a strategy of 'Let's make these devices party-bling for celebrity sponsors,' then, kind of like Nikon is doing, sticking in at the end an 'Oh, by the way, we also make these serious-looking things for serious people... if you feel better than a celebrity, buy Nikon...'

Yaknow, whatever works, I guess.

12-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #140
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
Personally, I'd like to see something a little more eye catching than white. How about pink!!
that pink matches my Zune perfectly. that's a bit odd. im not sure if I like that or not.
12-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #141
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slomojoe Quote
[sarcasm]Great for photographing wildlife in winter, I guess.[/sarcasm]
As I've posted elsewhere, at least it won't melt in the sun as quickly in July should someone leave it on the seat of their car. Its too bad that its not weather sealed, they could sell it with matching snow skis or snow shoes.
12-20-2008, 07:23 AM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I can't believe that THIS white camera was the big anoucement.

Big deal.

So I see two possibilities here:

1. Pentax has decided to target the entry level consumer that cares more about the "fashion" of their gear, and less about the function. This would be good to bring more people into the Pentax product line, but bad for the people that need or want higher performing gear. If I was in the market for a "better then K20D camera" this would push me over the edge and i would be in the store sniffing at the D300.

2. This was a test for the integraty of Pentax's internal comunication system. Could they launch a product without all the info leaks suffered by Nik*n's D700 release? So the leak happened a few hours prior to the official launch. OK. good test. Now Pentax knows what to do when they launch the LXD this spring.

I expect the truth is option number one. Option number two is just me trying to deal with my disapointment.
Except that it wont be called LXD but simply XC
(LX=roman 60 for the 60 years anniversary in 1979, thought the LX was delayed to 1980, XC=roman 90 for the 90 years anniversary in 1919, doubles as eXCellent... if they release a high end model next year, how can they avoid getting this idea, besides K-m show they have given up numbering models so no K30D etc, and they have given up "D" for digital, so no LXD)

Last edited by Douglas_of_Sweden; 12-20-2008 at 09:30 AM.
12-20-2008, 07:51 AM   #143
Banned

QuoteQuote:
XC=roman 90 for the 90 years anniversary in 1909
math is of course correct, but its 1919.
12-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
math is of course correct, but its 1919.
Me and math. Edited. Thanks!
12-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #145

Waiting for the camo version sold in a kit with a Rambo knife
12-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #146
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by frogger Quote
Waiting for the camo version sold in a kit with a Rambo knife
good luck with that.
12-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #147
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
good luck with that.
If it is a real "Randal" I'm in for one as well whether its camo or not.
12-21-2008, 04:50 AM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeremy_c Quote
I would like to read where there are going to be new camera releases this upcoming year.

it's all in Hoyas latest report, they states three "types" (or "classes") of DSLR's introduced next year. This has been widely discussed on this forum.
12-21-2008, 05:03 AM   #149
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=KungPOW;420895]I can't believe that THIS white camera was the big anoucement.
[quote]

Was the announcement supposed to be BIG?

QuoteQuote:
1. Pentax has decided to target the entry level consumer that cares more about the "fashion" of their gear, and less about the function.
Hey, have a look at the MZ-60.
MZ-60 / ZX-60

Combining black on the grip with another colour for the rest of the body is not unusual for Pentax. It is just that with the K-m this colour is *white* instead of the *silver* they used to do it with. For the record, I do have a *ist DS in black-silver and it is gorgeous!

The K-m is a very fine camera for the money and has many great functions, quite much more so than the entry level bodies from the film era that Pentax used to make. Pentax has always made entry level bodies, so this is not something new.

Painting the K-m white does not make it a bad camera!
It is not like the full black version is taking better images or has more functions...

QuoteQuote:
If I was in the market for a "better then K20D camera" this would push me over the edge and i would be in the store sniffing at the D300.
Ok, you don't like the colour white for a limited edition of the entry level model.
But why would you bother about the colour of the entry level model if you want a K20D or the K20D replacement? Wouldn't you be more concerned about the colour of that one instead of the colour of a camera you are not interrested in?!

This may come as a surprise - but Pentax has the ability to make both style conscious entry level cameras as well as great tools for advanced photographers. How I know this? Because this is what Pentax always has done in the past! Why would Pentax suddenly change their policy? Making a camera with two colour options is just in line with their past policy.

Even the *ist DS and DL could be bought in one of two colour schemes - full black or black-silver. I choosed the black-silver DS. It is just gorgeous.

White is the new silver. So?
I think it is rather neat actually.
12-24-2008, 06:55 AM   #150
ogl
Banned

K-m will be made only 3000 pcs. and it will very soon photo rarity. I bet on this camera will be in the collections of photo-fans.

3000 cameras are optimal quantity to be LIMITED.
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/dslr/2008/12/24/9897.html

Very good marketing move before Christmas and New Year.
"K-m white" rush is already started - I know.