Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Toronto Meetup #8 - Spring 2010

Details:

Meet 9:45 AM Sunday May 30th at MaRS (SE corner of College and University), by the big chrome logo statue in the front.

Map of locations (MaRS is #55): http://www.communitywalk.com/map/529769

Map key: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tCN8zkJei1TWIwgd_gXjkjQ&output=html

We can negotiate stops after MaRS in the morning once we see how many people show up. The map key lists which venues allow photography and/or tripods in addition to the address and hours. Feel free to print copies of the map and key, and I'll bring a few extra.

There's been some interest in a spring meetup in this thread: PentaxForums.com - Hey guys!

So, when and where do people want to meet?

Recent outings have included the ROM, Toronto Island, High Park, and the Distillery District.

Hitting a couple of venues during Doors Open Toronto next weekend (Sat. May 29 or Sun. May 30) was mentioned as a possibility. I wouldn't mind going to a couple of stops around the City Hall/U of T/Queens Park area, and I don't really have a preference for which day. Most of the venues seem to open at 10 AM, and stopping somewhere in the area for a late lunch once we're done with tours for the day would be an option.

Here's a list of buildings open in Toronto: All Buildings

Other possibilities are also welcome if somebody has an idea for an interesting place to meet.

Last edited by Steinback; 05-28-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Updating meet details
05-25-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have warm feeling towards those Architects office building
05-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The OAA Headquarters? City of Toronto - Doors Open Toronto

Or the offices of one of the architectural firms?
City of Toronto - Doors Open Toronto

With ~150 venues the selection process might go better if people post links to the building(s) they are interested in. I was thinking that 3 or 4 places in walking distance of each other might be a realistic goal.
05-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Saturday - anywhere

Title says it all. Since (a long long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away) I worked in architecture offices, they aren't terribly interesting to me... but I'm cool with whatever. Maybe I can shoot a pano or two before they say "hey, no tripods in the work-pods!"

(Seriously, I worked for an architect that called cubicles, "work-pods"... like they shot into space or something?)

05-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anywhere!

+1 for anywhere

05-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Alright, Saturday is just around the corner and I haven't heard a "yes, we're doing this!" yet, so I'm off to do family stuff that day! I could join folks after 3 PM or so, or we could do something on Sunday.

BTW, I'm going to be "recruiting" interested Pentax users to help create a database of Adobe Lens Correction Profiles using our cameras and lenses. Might require some patience (~75 shots per profile!), but then the entire Pentax community reaps the rewards!
05-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm still fine for either day. There doesn't seem to be much interest outside of the 3 of us. I'll sit down with a map and the venue list tonight and work out a list of venues in walking distance of each other (I don't spend enough time in the city to be able to place addresses to street locations off the top of my head).

05-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yeah, this Door's Open site really needs a Google Maps API key...

Then let's say Sunday, and sort the venues by "open that day" unless you're committed to going to an architect's studio (since they all seem closed on Sunday, go figure!). I'll PM the other "usual suspects" and let 'em know when at least (and later, where).

I'm keen on the MaRS building at University and College, simply because they allow tripods (panos!), but sadly Queen's Park around the corner doesn't.
05-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The MaRS building is one that I thought looked interesting.

The Stantec office in the old McGregor sock factory is another that allows photography and tripods; it looks to be about 2.5 km from MaRS.

Canada Life Insurance is about half way between the two and allows tripods and photography.

I'll continue looking for buildings in that area that allow photography.
05-27-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Don't click on any of the ads on the page, but this should be a Google Maps overlay of all 90 locations open on Sunday in the Downtown area:

Map 529769 - CommunityWalk

The map is a little slow because there are so many markers. If you click on a marker it will give you the building's address and hours.

MaRS is number 55. I don't know what's up with the outlier (#88) and I haven't had a chance to double check all of the markers to make sure they're correct, but the ones I have checked look OK.
05-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If we were to meet at MaRS at 9:30-9:45 on Sunday to sign up for a tour, printouts of that map of nearby locations and this key: Doors Open Toronto_South_Sun (Google Spreadsheet page) would probably be enough to choose buildings to tour as we go. If I get a chance I'll mark the key with which buildings allow photography and tripods.

Edit: Tripod (aka Pano) and Photo info added to the spreadsheet

Last edited by Steinback; 05-27-2010 at 11:52 PM.
05-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
If we were to meet at MaRS at 9:30-9:45 on Sunday to sign up for a tour, printouts of that map of nearby locations and this key: Doors Open Toronto_South_Sun (Google Spreadsheet page) would probably be enough to choose buildings to tour as we go.

Very cool. Thanks for doing this!

So let's say 9:45 at MaRS (SE corner of College and University), by the big chrome logo statue in the front. Hard to miss. I'll PM the others!
05-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

sorry haven't been reading the forum as much lately.... don't think i can make sunday
i'll prolly try to do some buildings on saturday

let me know if you want to do a mass pm
05-29-2010, 05:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I'll see whoever shows bright and early tomorrow morning.
06-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Well, I'll see whoever shows bright and early tomorrow morning.
"Bright and early?"

IIRC, around 11AM, I was leaving the MaRS building (after shooting some panos like this) when I ran into Steinbeck!

I think next time we need to have more advance notice and get folks signed up to commit.