Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: When will you attend the 3rd Annual East Coast Gathering!
Friday afternoon-Sunday afternoon 240.00%
Saturday and Sunday 120.00%
Saturday ONLY 360.00%
Sunday Only   00%
Unsure of attending   00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Head count: 3rd Annual East Coast Gathering!

PLEASE fill out the poll if you are sure you can attend.
I need an accurate headcount for final decisions.
If we keep this as a 2.5-day/ 2-night workshop/gathering I need to know ASAP
For Lodging I am looking into it still but with so few needing so far I may make it FYOB (Find your own bed)
thanks
Workshop Sponsored by: Kingston, Sigma, BlackRapid, Lenspen, Lexjet & P3 Imaging Inc.

Last edited by BrendanPK; 07-12-2010 at 07:08 PM.
06-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I signed up for the full 2.5 (and may do it myself even if the official event is truncated--there is the fishing option after all ;~) I'm fine with FYOB.
07-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm fine with either the full 2.5 or the Sat/Sun plan. I'll prob just be driving up since it's less than an hour from my house.

Mike
07-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like to attend all day Saturday. I my son may also attend.

07-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One photographic spot across the river from Harper's Ferry is Maryland Heights. Note significant upclimb invovled (i.e., 3.0 hours plus a half hour for lunch - 1,600 ft. Please check out

Harpers Ferry NHP Maryland Heights Map and Guide

"Maryland Heights is another of those must-do circuits for most hikers in the metro area. With a spectacular view of Harpers Ferry from the main overlook, and steeped in Civil War history, this shorter circuit is a favorite for many. But be prepared for the crowds, on nicer days this hike is very busy.

The main ridge at Maryland Heights has the ruins of Union Civil War forts, trenches, gunpowder magazines, and infantry encampments. With most of the circuit having informational signage describing the different ruins.

From the parking area start up the Combined Trail and pass the Naval Battery built in 1862, and first of the Union fortifications on Maryland Heights. At the next intersection, and informational sign, turn left uphill on the Stone Fort Trail as it very steeply ascends towards the ridge.

Once arriving at the ridge pass through the main fort area, then climb a set of log stairs to reach the main interior of the fort. This main section, and largest earthwork, was constructed in June of 1863. The main stone wall on the north of the fort was erected to protect it from northern attack.

From here the Stone Fort Trail will pass back to the south, with views of the Potomac River to the east through the trees. The trail will descend more steeply before ending at the intersection of the top section of the Combined Trail.

Turn left towards the overlook and in 150 yards turn right down the Overlook Trail. The main overlook for Harpers Ferry is in 0.3 miles.

Return to the Combined Trail, then follow it past the two trailheads for the Stone Fort Trail as it descends back down to Sandyhook Rd."

Also Jefferson Rock in Harper's Ferry is more accessible.

"Jefferson Rock is near Harpers Ferry in Harpers Ferry National Historical Park. It is several large masses of shale rock piled one upon the other that overlook the Shenandoah River just prior to its confluence with the Potomac River. The name of this landmark derives from Thomas Jefferson, who stood there on October 25, 1783. He found the view from the rock impressive and wrote that "this scene is worth a voyage across the Atlantic."

(Hope this wasn't TMI)....
07-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cdurfor Quote
One photographic spot across the river from Harper's Ferry is Maryland Heights. Note significant upclimb invovled (i.e., 3.0 hours plus a half hour for lunch - 1,600 ft.
I'm not sure I'd be up to that but I'll try to get in shape. My favorite access to the river is at Keep Tryst Rd. (perhaps just because I like the name ;~)

Last edited by dadipentak; 07-13-2010 at 03:48 AM.
07-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cdurfor Quote
One photographic spot across the river from Harper's Ferry is Maryland Heights. Note significant upclimb invovled (i.e., 3.0 hours plus a half hour for lunch - 1,600 ft. Please check out

Harpers Ferry NHP Maryland Heights Map and Guide

"Maryland Heights is another of those must-do circuits for most hikers in the metro area. With a spectacular view of Harpers Ferry from the main overlook, and steeped in Civil War history, this shorter circuit is a favorite for many. But be prepared for the crowds, on nicer days this hike is very busy.

The main ridge at Maryland Heights has the ruins of Union Civil War forts, trenches, gunpowder magazines, and infantry encampments. With most of the circuit having informational signage describing the different ruins.

From the parking area start up the Combined Trail and pass the Naval Battery built in 1862, and first of the Union fortifications on Maryland Heights. At the next intersection, and informational sign, turn left uphill on the Stone Fort Trail as it very steeply ascends towards the ridge.

Once arriving at the ridge pass through the main fort area, then climb a set of log stairs to reach the main interior of the fort. This main section, and largest earthwork, was constructed in June of 1863. The main stone wall on the north of the fort was erected to protect it from northern attack.

From here the Stone Fort Trail will pass back to the south, with views of the Potomac River to the east through the trees. The trail will descend more steeply before ending at the intersection of the top section of the Combined Trail.

Turn left towards the overlook and in 150 yards turn right down the Overlook Trail. The main overlook for Harpers Ferry is in 0.3 miles.

Return to the Combined Trail, then follow it past the two trailheads for the Stone Fort Trail as it descends back down to Sandyhook Rd."

Also Jefferson Rock in Harper's Ferry is more accessible.

"Jefferson Rock is near Harpers Ferry in Harpers Ferry National Historical Park. It is several large masses of shale rock piled one upon the other that overlook the Shenandoah River just prior to its confluence with the Potomac River. The name of this landmark derives from Thomas Jefferson, who stood there on October 25, 1783. He found the view from the rock impressive and wrote that "this scene is worth a voyage across the Atlantic."

(Hope this wasn't TMI)....

Thanks, I know about both, However I try to keep trips like this easy for most... I have done that hike up to the heights, Great view etc, but it is hard and time consuming.
Planing on shooting in the town, the river, maybe going up the hill a bit to the one overlook area, than off to anteatium for more fun along with sunset and dinner

(Note Dinner this year will be inthe 8pm arena so we get sunset!

07-13-2010, 05:02 PM   #8

I am down for Saturday, possibly Sunday if I find a place to crash. Should be a good time, looking forward to it.
07-16-2010, 10:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Im working on a room for me and a friend, your welcome to crash on the floor if I get one sat night
-b
07-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #10

Hey Brendan My wife (also Pentax shooter) aka Azorian Princess will be there too.