Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

2010 Adventure Photography Workshop in Boulder, CO

Hey there, Pentaxians! I'm excited to be part of an Adventure Photography workshop that will be taking place in Boulder, CO, September 25 & 26. This workshop will be geared towards advanced amateurs, enthusiasts, and people who are considering making a move towards semi-pro or professional adventure photography. I will be co-teaching the workshop with fellow adeventure shooter Lucas Gilman, and Photo Editor of Backpacker Magazine Julia Vandenoever.

Day 1 will be taught by Lucas and will be and will be a mix of classroom and hands on discussion about technique. This day is all about the camera and using to capture images. Topics like, various exposure modes, and how and when to use each, lens selection and camera angles, use of natural light and location selection and so on will be covered. The workshop will be right in the beautiful Chautauqua Park in Boulder, so photo hikes will be in and around the famous Flatirons. Above is both an example of my work, and the Flatirons as seen from Chautauqua Park. That's where you would be, although it wouldn't be winter! ;-)

Day 2 will be co-taught with myself and Julia, and we will be focusing on what to do after the capture. We will be talking about workflow such as backing up images, sorting and selecting favorites, editing, and finalizing images. We will be trying to talk about that in as much of a non platform specific way as possible, although we are both LR2/CS4 users (though I expect to be upgraded to LR3/CS5 by then). After that we will talk about the business side of adventure photography. How to market yourself and to who, how to sell images, licensing, contract negotiating and copyright.

There will also be time during that day, and mostly likely during the first, for one on one time with us for things like review and critique of your images, question and answer, or anything else you want to talk about.

This is going to be a really great workshop for people who are outdoor and photography lovers, and have entertained the thought of turning it into a secondary or primary income. Even if you have no intentions of 'going pro', I think there will be tons of info in this workshop for people who just want to step up their game to the next level, and even make some extra money from time to time.

I would love to get tons of fellow Pentax users at the workshop and make a god showing for what the brand is capable of. It is after all, in my opinion, the best system there is for outdoor/adventure shooting, from beginner to pro!

Cheers!

p.s. Mod, could you please sticky...?

More examples of work:

Last edited by FullertonImages; 07-09-2010 at 12:50 PM.
07-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to make a social group for this and add it to our calendar here: PentaxForums.com - Calendar

ATM we're full up on stickies in this section I'd say, but as the event nears, I'll see what I can do as far as making it visible.

BTW, I can also feature this on our site homepage if you PM me an accompanying textual description.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow this sounds like a great opportunity to find out what it will take for me to take my next step. I will for sure be doing this workshop. Any suggestions on what equipment to bring as far as lenses and or tripods. I saw on the site they said digital camera and a laptop if available.

Thanks
Jim
07-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Jim!

Glad it sounds like a good next step for you! The first day will be a mix of teaching and shooting, and the second day will be all classroom dealing with editing and business. I would say a basic kit, i.e. body, few lenses and maybe a flash, plus a tripod, laptop and memory. Basically, whatever you're currently shooting with. We're not going to be covering to much stuff that is specific on any one piece of equipment, since people are all coming from different brands, platforms and places in their hobby/career. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask away.

Look forwards to meeting you! Spread the word!

Last edited by FullertonImages; 07-17-2010 at 10:24 PM.
08-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Back to the top. Only one month away.

Jim
08-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Back to the top. Only one month away.

Jim
Thanks for the bump! Would love to see a good handful of Pentax cameras in the crowd!
09-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Back to the top.

Jim

09-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Damn, I just seen the link for this wish I could make it. This month is already booked.

Jim have a great time and learn lots.

Looking forward to the reviews, hopefully it will work out next time.

Best regards,

John
09-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Would love to have seen you there, John!

But if things go as planed, I'll be teaching more workshops in the upcoming seasons, so there will be more chances!
09-24-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Adventure photo workshop

Sounds interesting, but too long and pricey, IMO. A shorter/less expensive version would be of interest to this local shutterbug.