Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any Pentaxian from Hong Kong? or have been to Hong Kong?

Im going there at the end of the month,
1. I would like some suggestions on what places to go there
2. advice on what lens on my sig to bring. Specifically if will i be needing
the 50-200 or just the Tamron 90.. Is the 16mm wide enough for landscapes on that area.
3. Im also interested on where to get accessories like flashes for Pentax like
maybe a YN460, etc

08-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Go and visit Tin Cheung

Tin Cheung Camera Co.
Address:
Shop 5 Friends House, 6B Carnarvon Road
Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon

I used to do visa runs to Hong Kong from mainland China quite often. Unfortunately I didn't find the prices on camera gear as low as I expected. BUT, you can walk into this store and just ask for a lens and have it presented right in front of you, which I thought was very cool. Kowloon & Mongkok are good places if you are looking for gear.

Use the 16mm for people, it's crowded in HK. And most importantly don't forget to take a photo of this sign.. it's just off Nathan rd. Tsim Sha Tsui area (could be Kowloon). Have fun. HK is a splendid place for photography.

I can also give you an idea what the cheapest accomodation in HK looks like.. my advice is- don't go there if you can avoid it

08-07-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Fractal Love that first image. i saw that image before it was a different PP.. Ill PM you regarding the accomodation as soon as i have the exact location if where in Hongkong we'll be headed.
08-07-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

See parallel discussions in these two recentish threads:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/108356-where-buy-gear-hong-kong.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/104073-second-hand-lenses-hong-kong.html

And Ilove this work by afellow forum member - saw it before I went to Hong Kong and beleve it captures spirit beautifully.:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-video-forum/101078-ultimate-hong-k...efinition.html

08-08-2010, 05:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thx for the recommendation Arjay
08-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Im going there at the end of the month,
1. I would like some suggestions on what places to go there
2. advice on what lens on my sig to bring. Specifically if will i be needing
the 50-200 or just the Tamron 90.. Is the 16mm wide enough for landscapes on that area.
3. Im also interested on where to get accessories like flashes for Pentax like
maybe a YN460, etc
Hi,
Have had many trips to Hong Kong and have worn out a pair of shoes (& tested a marriage ) searching out camera stores in Hong Kong, our son lived there for 3 years, thus the visits with time to spare.

Stanley St on the Island is a good place to start, these boys dont bargain much, but can get you anything you want in a few hours or overnite.

As stated earlier, there are a number of camera stores in Kowloon, exercise caution in identifying grey market items (anything wrapped in shrink wrap is a clue), know your values and you should be ok.

My favourite place is Wing Shing Photo Supplies in Mong Kok (catch the MTR), they also have a sister store in Man Shing Photo Supplies, also in Mong Kok.

Another place worth a look is the Computer Centre at Wan Chai, this is three floors of gadgets & electronics to whet any mans appetite for 'toys'....in amongst it all you will find cameras & lenses.
At the bottom of the escalator at street level, look to your right (assuming you are stepping off the escalator), you will see a Mc Donalds, and just up from that was a small camera shop that carried a good range of Pentax gear....but I have seen these smaller shops come & go, so no guarantees that is is still there.

Hong Kong is a great place, and you will use your 50-200 a lot.

My golden rule when shopping in HK was to know your values, get your exchange rate worked out and know what you want. You will get on a lot better if you know what you want rather than just 'shopping around'.

If you want to try your bargaining skills then go to the ladies market in Mong Kok (cant miss it), that is a lot of fun (if you know your values), and the Jade Markets halfway between Mong Kok & Kowloon.....all shown on the tourise maps free at any tourist info kiosk.

Cheers
Grant

PS: Ladies Market is not electronics....just clothes, handbags, jewellery, watches etc etc

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 08-09-2010 at 07:19 PM. Reason: see PS
08-09-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Malle Boy for the suggestions and tips..
What do you mean by the 50-200mm you suggest?l
landscapes, the city or people?

08-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really depends on what you are shooting. The 50-200 will allow you a different perspective on all things where you can zoom past imperfections that intrude into your shot. Very good for people studies.
If you like architectural shooting then your 16-45 will get a lot of use, and yes, it will be wide enough.

Enjoy the trip.