Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Trip to Maine, New Hampshire & Vermont, first part of October

My wife and I are planning a 8 day trip to Maine, New Hampshire & Vermont during the first part of october. The primary purpose of the trip is sightseeing but naturally photo ops are high on my list. We want to see the countryside and small towns, not large cities. Any suggestions on must see places along with times. A particular goal of mine are some rocky coastal sunrises. We are willing to forgo VT and NH if Maine will keep us occupied (and I suspect it easily could).

Mike

p.s. Other than the drive up and back, I prefer local & state roads over interstates

08-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This is an intersting article about maine coastline

Gary Stanley

it will add time to your travel but if you are not in a hurry i would suggest you travel along Rt1(calling it a Route can give you a false idea of a big highway for the most part there are stretches where its only two lanes) for the most part it follows the coast where Rt 95 travels more inland.

should you go to NH I would recommend that you vist Mt Washington area this is an interesting ride
Mount Washington Cog Railway - Climb to the Top of Mount Washington on the world's first mountain-climbing Cog Railway trains!

very interesting ride. and the view from the top is worth it if you get good weather.
08-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Its been a while since I made that run and it sounds memorable. Or you could drive one day to Acadia Nat. Park and shoot 6 days there of the coast, caves of pink anenomes, Rachel's Salt Pond (wading in a foot of water for your shots), then one day driving home. Nah, although Acadia is a must, you can do it all in 3 days including a boat tour of the coves and islands.

Have fun, a lot of it.

Coming to the Oceana Air Show in September?
08-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We will be some where in the same area at about the same time on our way home from PEI - Nova Scotia. With a little bit of luck the fall colors should be almost at their peak at that time.

08-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah Coastal Maine, my wife's family is from the area. First and for most, I wish good photography weather. Scenic shots --

Well Damariscotta, ME is cute as a button and often found on the cover of Down East Magazine.

My wife's family is from the Penobscot Bay area and there are many vistas worthy of photographing. For example, Rockland Harbor, Camden Maine (which is like a mini Newport, RI) and home to many windjammers (and some wicked shore front homes), the view from Mount Batte (above Camden), anyone of the Ferrys (Vinalhaven, North Haven Ferry or Matinicus - (http://www.maine.gov/mdot/msfs/index.htm), although the latter may provdie photos of Puffins, the view from the top of the new Penobscot Narrows Bridge on Verona Island, Fort Knox (a stone fort similar to Fort Washington on Verona Island), Castine on Deer Island which is a cute little town with the State of Maien maritime school, the mail boat run out to Isle Haut which covers 5 miles of bay, the view from Caterpillar Hill near Hancock!!! and of course the mother of all great views.. Mount Desert Island and Bar Harbour. Great cliffs, vistas, hiking trails, cruises around the island and off island....

Other then that nope not a thing to see.....

Regarding Oceana Air Show in September, I plan to go and would love to meet up with other Pentax folks. In fact, I know a killer seafood restraunt in VA Beach (Charlies on Linhaven Inlet)...
08-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh two more and I'll stop.

On the way to Maine, please consider eating at Newicks which is just up (~ 4 miles) the Spalding Turnpike from Portsmouth New Hampshire turnpike.. Great seafood, checked table cloths and a view out over the water. Its a big favorite.

Also this time last year I did a one day whale watch out of Newburyport, MA. Great photo op!

Chuck Durfor's Photos | Facebook

Travel safely....
08-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
mel
Veteran Member

Bar Harbor (Bah Hahbah) and Acadia Nat'l Park. Must sees.

08-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you need an afternoon break to Outlet-Mall shop for some reason swing through North Conway, NH. At one time a quaint village - totally "miracle-mile'd" now.

Crawford Notch

White Mountains / Mt. Washington / Cog Railway NOTICE: Take geat care if you actually hike there or wish to visit the Observatory - most extreme, most volatile weather in North America. Mount Washington once held the world record (still the Northern Hemisphere and Western Hemisphere record) for directly measured surface wind speed, at 231 mph.

White Mountains / Mount Washington

While a student at Middlebury College in the 40's my mother-in-law ski'ed Tuckerman's Ravine (the Headwall) on wooden snow ski's. Girls just didn't do that then. She was quite a character.