Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2010, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thunder over the Blue Ridge - Airshow - Martinsburg, WV 4-5 Sep

Thunder over the Blue Ridge - Airshow - Martinsburg, WV 4-5 Sep

Thunder Over the Blue Ridge

Sorry for the short notice but I forgot to post this earlier. The "Thunder Over the Blue Ridge Airshow" is being held this weekend, 4-5 Sep at the Martinsburg, WV airport. There are several high profile performances scheduled including the Air Force Thunderbirds and the Army Golden Knights Parachute Team.

Temps are projected to be in the high 70s so it should be a gorgeous and comfortable day (especially when comparred to the schorcher we endured at the Andrews AFB Airshow back in May.

I am planning on going on Saturday and would love to meet up with some fellow Pentaxians. If you are interested or plan to go, let me know and we can arrange to meet.

BTW, its a free show, but they encourage $10 donations which will go to the "United Way of the Panhandle".

Hope to see you there...

Mike
National Capital Area Pentaxians

09-02-2010, 06:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can't make that one, filling in for a contractor on vacation. I am hoping to get to the Culpepper show and Balloonfest in Oct while visiting my daughters in No VA. Just waiting for travel money to materialize.
09-02-2010, 06:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've actually never been to an airshow; do you think bringing a 4-year-old would be a bad idea? I just wasn't sure how loud it was or if there were any other things I wasn't considering
09-02-2010, 06:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I've actually never been to an airshow; do you think bringing a 4-year-old would be a bad idea? I just wasn't sure how loud it was or if there were any other things I wasn't considering
A 4-year old, and you, will love it.

09-02-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
A 4-year old, and you, will love it.
Excellent, I think we'll give it a try.

So now the more important question, which lenses to bring?
09-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

I'm running the half-marathon in Virginia Beach this weekend. Honestly, I think I'd rather go to the airshow.
09-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I'd love to go, but I'm back in school and that means I am on the other side of the state.
09-02-2010, 07:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Can't make that one, filling in for a contractor on vacation. I am hoping to get to the Culpepper show and Balloonfest in Oct while visiting my daughters in No VA. Just waiting for travel money to materialize.
I'll be driving back from Maine the Saturday of the Culpepper show so will be missing it this year. It is a great show though and is different from the norm in that there are few modern jets, but tons of old WWII warbirds... not to mention the world's only privately owned Harrier is usually there. I AM gonna try to make the Balloonfest though. May just see you there.

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
You and the little one will love the show dgaies... It can get loud and startle them at some points, but it's not generally a constant high level of noise. You may want to bring something like e to noise though. That demo can get loud. I've seen many parents do that and since it will be comfortable temp-wise it should work well.

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I'm running the half-marathon in Virginia Beach this weekend. Honestly, I think I'd rather go to the airshow.
Awwww... you know you want to skip the marathon Mel... come to the air show... come to the air show... come to the air show... come to the air show...

LOL

Last edited by MRRiley; 09-02-2010 at 07:37 AM.
09-02-2010, 08:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
By the way, their FAQ mentions backpacks and then small camera bags. Since they are rather vague here, i sent them an e-mail asking about camera bags, specifically describing mine as a daypack style with certain dimensions...

QuoteQuote:
Subject: Camera bags at the Thunder over the Blue Ridge airshow

The airshow FAQ mentions camera bags, but the description of "large" is rather vague. I have a, what I would call "small," daypack camera bag that holds a digital SLR and several lenses. The size is approx 12"x18"x7". Small enough or too big?
And the response from SSGT Sherree Grebenstein, USAF ANG 167 AW/PA

QuoteQuote:
Sir,
As long as the small camera bag is used to hold cameras and not other items you should be fine.

Thanks,
Sherree
She CC'd her commander too so unless I receive a rebuttal or "clarification" from on-high, we can probably assume that daypack sized camera bags are permitted. Still might be a good idea to have a backup plan available (for instance I have a belt and shoulder harness system I use to carry lens pouches).

Last edited by MRRiley; 09-02-2010 at 08:23 AM.
09-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi Mike, not related to your thread, thought I would pass this on to you.
suppose to be some sort of candle glow at Antietam later in year.
Cant be more specific, dont know anymore.
Regards
Bill
09-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Made it out there today, saw a bunch of Canikon with humongous glass. I wonder why I was the only one with a monopod, I would have died otherwise. Didn't see any Pentaxians, but I did see some Olys. The only attention my White K-x gathered was some snickering from Nikonians.

The Golden Knights performed a little bit, as opposed to not at all yesterday. I just missed the opening ceremony with them, and the second time they came down, they said they were cutting it short and didn't really do anything interesting.

It was fun, I learned a lot and want to go to another one. More reach would be ideal, though. Having never gone to an airshow, I missed several opportunities when I thought they were just going to do a simply fly by but ended up doing some cool stuff. I missed timed too many, but later on I remembered to use that both-eyes-open technique. I timed one so perfectly that it looks like it's just 5 in formation, when 4 where going very slow and the 5th flew straight through them.

I did have some height problems.

"Thunder over Bald Ridge"

Last edited by Eruditass; 09-05-2010 at 08:45 PM.
09-08-2010, 04:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great capture over Mount Baldy. LOL

I've been spending most of my time with my dad (visiting from FL) for the last few days but hope to get some shots posted this weekend.
09-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

That's the annual memorial illumination, scheduled for 6 pm on Dec 4 with a rain date of Dec 12.

See here for details: Antietam National Battlefield - 2010 living history schedule (U.S. National Park Service)

There are also 148th Anniversary hikes scheduled the weekend of Sept 17.

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Hi Mike, not related to your thread, thought I would pass this on to you.
suppose to be some sort of candle glow at Antietam later in year.
Cant be more specific, dont know anymore.
Regards
Bill
09-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I was at the air show on Sunday. Here's a link to the images.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmurphypr/sets/72157624787163253/

Last edited by MPrince; 09-08-2010 at 07:39 PM.