Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what to photograph in & around Boulder

I'll be in and around Boulder, CO, during most of Dec. 7-9. First, what's good to photograph? Second, is there any point to stopping by Pentax USA in Golden, CO?Third, what weather should I expect and therefore what clothing should I bring?

Any input appreciated.

11-20-2010, 12:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When I plan vacations, I use google earth because people post their photos on it, giving a general idea of photographic ideas. Regular google maps lack the photos...
11-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There are a lot of options in and around Boulder for many styles of photography? What are you interested in?

If you like landscapes, the Flatirons can be a dramatic subject. Additionally, a drive up to RMNP is almost a must, if you ask me. You won't be able to go over Trail Ridge Road (it's now closed until Memorial Day or so), but there's a lot of neat stuff on the East side of the park. We've had a decent amount of snow in the high country lately, so there should be some nice snow capped peak shots.

If you're into street shooting, the Pearl Street Mall would probably be a fun stop.

If you're looking at cityscapes and such, Denver isn't too far away and would give you some neat opportunities.

As for Pentax Golden, if you find yourself on the west side, it's easy enough to find in downtown Golden, but it's not really a mandatory stop. I was there for the K-7 Demo and I'm guessing it's pretty much just like most other offices on regular days. I'd say go for the Coors Tour instead. It'll be a little more interesting, and comes with free drinks (beer, of course, and soft drinks for kids or those not wishing to partake) at the end of the tour.

When it comes to weather, all I can tell you is that if you don't like the weather in Colorado, just wait 15 minutes or drive 15 miles. Generally speaking, it'll probably be on the cooler side, but highs could be in the 60s or lows could be below 0 that time of year. It's really hard to tell. The best advice is to dress in layers and adjust as the weather changes. If you plan to go into the mountains, bring an extra layer or two.

If you post what kind of photography you're interested in, I'll try to further refine your options. If there's anything else specifically that I can answer, let me know!
11-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks! I'm still not sure how much free time I'll have, when it will be, and what transportation I'll have available, and all of that bears on what I can (try to) do.

I was thinking landscape and cityscape shots mostly. If there is a good museum, maybe that.

I'll skip the Pentax trip, given what you say. Now, if they gave away free K-5s....

Layers. Yes.

11-23-2010, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

If you don't have a lot of time, I'd really suggest going to Rocky Mountain National Park as I think it will give you the best bang for the buck. The trails to hit will be along Bear Lake Road. Sprague Lake is one of the easiest trails in the park, but also quite scenic. The Glacier Gorge Trail is one of the most popular in the park. It's not too far along that trail to Alberta Falls. Bear Lake is another easy trail with nice views. The Bear Lake trail also provides access to trails to Nymph, Dream, Haiyaha and Emerald Lakes.

If you have a good pair of boots, I'd definitely bring those. Additionally, I don't know if you have snowshoes, but they could help a lot depending on trail conditions. If there's no fresh snow, all of those trails are busy enough that the snow should be packed pretty well and walkable. If there's fresh snow, though, it could be deep and snow shoes would help. I think you can rent them in Estes Park if all else fails.

The classic Denver cityscape is on the hill above I-25 at Zuni and Speer. It gives shots like this:

Flickr Link

If you only have a little bit of time, I'd definitely hit that one for sure.

Beyond that, the city will be decked out for Christmas by the time you're here. Union Station and the City and County Building both get the royal treatment for the holidays. I'd definitely recommend shooting those.

My favorite museum close to the metro area is the Colorado Railroad Museum, but that's because I'm a railbuff. Additionally, the Museum of Nature and Science, the Denver Art Museum, the Denver Zoo, and The Botanic Gardens are all nice places to shoot. One I would definitely advise against is the Molly Brown House. They have a nasty photo policy and I'll never return until they fix it.

Finally, you mentioned that some of this is transportation contingent. I can't help everyday, but I could definitely take one day off of work if you'd like a tour guide for a day to some of the local attractions. Additionally, I know there are other Denver Metro Pentaxians that might be able to help as well.

Hope this helps!
11-24-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Chris,

You have helped a lot!

I don't know how comfortable I would feel knowing that someone took a day off work just for me. But I appreciate the generosity behind your offer.

I'll see if I can find out what our schedule there will be.

Cheers,
Seth
12-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hey Seth!

I'm a pentaxian in Boulder. It would be fun to grab a coffee and chat, or head out for a little bit of shooting if you want. I always love connecting with other photographers, especially other pentax users. Let me know what your schedule looks like, if you want to get together. I'm full time freelance, so I shouldn't have too much trouble carving out a little chunk of time.
12-05-2010, 10:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looks like we'll be arriving in Denver by late Tuesday morning and suspect we'll get settled at the Millenium Harvest House in Boulder by early afternoon. I should have at least a chunk of the afternoon and perhaps part of the evening to devote to photography. Need to shop for my daughter briefly, along with my co-worker for her child.

Not sure if I'll have a computer or internet access; I assume I will have both.

How best to proceed? PM my cell phone # to you?

12-06-2010, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

All my info is on my website. Give me a call or drop me an email when you know what's up.

Safe travels!

Cheers,
Ben
12-10-2010, 05:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just a shout-out to thank Ben Fullerton, who took me out for coffee. We had a good discussion of many things photographic, from gear and software to projects and business. In the future, keep an eye out for workshops that he is expecting to lead....

Thanks, Ben.
12-11-2010, 01:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My pleasure, Seth! Always great to connect with other creative folks and chat. Hope the rest of your trip was great!