Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Trip to Thailand/Laos/Cambodia - advice needed

Hi,
I have done a photo trip in 2008 with my beloved K20D. I was in South America and my equipment survived everything. I took the DA 18-55 II and the 55-300 with me, we did trips to the moist jungle, to the dry deserts, cold salt desert of Uyuni (minus 25 degree celcius!) and I climbed a 6000m mountain.

My next trip starts soon, so I would like to hear some advice from you, please!
This time I will take the DA* 16-50 and the 55-300 ... and maybe the DFA 100 macro with me, seems adequate for me because I don't want to take all my equipment with me.

I want to come home with a load of phantastic pictures. I take pictures from almost everything ... landscapes/beaches/mountains/forests/islands, lifestyle/party/people/markets/religious places/slums, wildlife/birds/insects/animals.

My question now is where are the best places to take nice pictures? What national parks should I visit, what villages, what citys, where do I find scenes?

I am so looking forward to travelling around and I will sure poste some pics here.

Here is one of my last trip ... it was taken in Paracas/Peru

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
01-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't know any of the places you're visiting so no advice here, just wishing you an enjoyable trip
01-04-2011, 06:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
I have been in Cambodia, Siemreap, Angkor Wat complex for a week. The best place to be in south east asia. You may need 12-24mm as well in these temple complex. Sunrise and sunset are awesome, espesially on top of a mountain/temple.

Thailand in another trip in several weeks from north to south, follow all 4 capital cities.
Changmai is a great relaxing place in north Thailand. There is a zoo, snake farm and orchid farm near by but nothing very special. Try rather to see the market place in the morning, try some insect snacks. The capital cities have a lots of ruins, and Bangkok lots of temples. Interieu of these temples can be dark and challeng to take picture especially if you want to keep the ambient light as-is, and lots of gold reflections if flash is used.

My flight was stopping by singapore, and I stayed there 3 days. There is lots of thing in singapore too: national orchid garden, chinese+japanese garden, restaurant area riverside point.

My standard equipment would be 12-24,*16-50,50-200wr (or 55-300), cpl, nd8, light tripod, a flash+gels, + macro if possible. But the most time I ended to enjoy the moment and take less picture.

As photographer, you can looking forward for a numerous challenges.
Happy travel

Last edited by hoanpham; 01-04-2011 at 06:40 AM.
01-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I second the suggestion of Siem Reap/Angkor Wat & associated temples. I was just in Cambodia last October/November and I loved it. I was in Bangkok for a few days & would suggest seeing other parts of the country. It was a great city, but compared to Phnom Penh, Battambang, & Siem Reap/Angkor, it was a let-down.

If you want to see my pics from Angkor, click here for more.

Have a great time.

Derek