Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
4th Annual U.S. East Coast Gathering

This is now OFFICIALLY Sat Oct 29th
After the ending of the Photoshow and will be a social outing only.
I will gladly guide you around a bit, but its social oriented only and will be mid-Manhattan only.
If you want a t-shirt made for the occasion they will be $20-25/ec and must be paid in advance, must have 5 commit.
No fee and no Sponsor swag, sorry its now a social only event, though I may have something left over from the others to raffle off
Dinner and Drinks are Dutch.
RAIN OR SHINE

Events will be as follows:

5:30pm (show ends at 4)
Meet around the statue of the buss-driver outside the bus terminal (625 8th Avenue between 40th and 41st st. Its about a 15min walk from the Javitts ctr where the show is).

5:45pm
Walk North to McGee's Pub (240 West 55th Street) about 30min walk if your taking in the sights and photographing along the way

8/8:30pm Head out of the pub to sober up

8:30pm
Walk to times sq. area to browse and photograph

9:30/10pm
I stop leading the group so I can drive back to Baltimore

-------------------------------------------------
]4th Annual gathering will be in NYC sometime in late July to August.
This will be a LONGGGGGGG day with a lot of walking, subway riding and tones of shutter clicks. General game plan will be sunrise, breakfast/official start, street shooting etc. sunset will probably not be officially shot though I am thinking of hitting the empire-state for that, Dinner at my favorite NYC Irish Bar and night-shooting in Times Sq area. Sunday all will be welcome to go to one of the 2 NYC super-photo-vendors, B&H and Adorama for geek and wish time

Est Cost between $75-$100
(gets you dinner, pro support, cool swag, t-shirt and maybe more)
Lodging TBA and will be at your own cost, but thinking we should determine 1 hotel (I am open to Ideas)

-----------------------------------------

Update: Potential Date of Aug 27th
I need to get 5 FIRM commitments for Aug 27th before I book hotel and Restaurant ASAP

thanks

-----------------------------------------

General Timeline: (We may/can do this all on a Sunday instead of Saturday)
Saturday
Sunrise (Informal)
9am Official Start in Lower Manhattan
12noon Brooklyn Bridge and area around it
3pm start heading north/break
6pm Dinner @ McGees Pub 240 West 55 Street (meal and one drink included with cost of gathering)
8pm Head to Times Square for Night-Photography
10pm Farewells

(Optional: Empire State Building? Day or Night??)

Sunday

10am? Informal gatherings @ B&H and/or Adorama photo stores

---------------------------------

Links to previous gatherings:
3rd
2nd
1st

Please note this first post will be edited with information as it comes about so always check this first for the official info

Last edited by BrendanPK; 09-10-2011 at 10:49 PM.
04-11-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in, more than likely. I'm thinking we could pretty much stick to lower Manhattan--more than enough to shoot there--lots of diversity.
04-11-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was thinking the same Dave, I was looking at the china-town area along with the brooklin-bridge and maybe on the long Is. side to a bit shooting back onto the city than head uptown for dinner and night-shooting at times sq.
04-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I split this into it's own thread...

Brendan, You may want to edit your signature to point to this thread vs the 3rd GT thread.

Mike
PF Moderation Team

04-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

My participation will completely depend on the dates. I'm teaching photography at summer camp for 6 weeks this summer which means all my Saturdays during that time will be tied up with working at the library. Maybe I can quit my job or something . . .
04-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mike!
And Mel, maybe you should work, remember the last time you stayed in the city ? LOL (sorry that really wasnt funny)

Lodging... Need location/place ideas in the $200 or less/night price range
04-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This one I may be able to do, being an hour and a half away. Maybe drive half way up and then catch a train in.

04-12-2011, 04:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
This one I may be able to do, being an hour and a half away. Maybe drive half way up and then catch a train in.
This sounds great, I'd like to participate. So many great photo shots. The open air observatory at the Top of 30 Rock (think Ghostbusters) could be a great shot. Anyway, date depending I'm in.
04-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #9
Inactive Account

OT for Mel

QuoteQuote:
I'm teaching photography at summer camp for 6 weeks this summer
Mel -I do not want to hijack this thread but maybe in 1 or 2 sentences you can mention quickly what the
resolution was to last summer's problem.
No photos of buildings on what seemed like public property at the place you were teaching photography.
Or, maybe direct me to a thread that has the resolution. Thanks. Just curious.
04-13-2011, 05:00 AM   #10
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomK Quote
Mel -I do not want to hijack this thread but maybe in 1 or 2 sentences you can mention quickly what the
resolution was to last summer's problem.
No photos of buildings on what seemed like public property at the place you were teaching photography.
Or, maybe direct me to a thread that has the resolution. Thanks. Just curious.
Nothing happened really. We did our research and had our argument ready and it never came up again. I'm guessing they realized they were in the wrong and ignored it rather than say so.
04-13-2011, 05:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I'm guessing they realized they were in the wrong and ignored it rather than say so.
That is, some grown-up asked, "Is this something in which we really want to invest time effort & possibly cash money?"
04-19-2011, 06:07 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Hey guys (and girls),
I hope you don't mind but I posted a link to this topic on the "Tri-state Pentaxians" social group.
04-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #13

Crossing my fingers on this one; I had another person's (well, 50% of their major headaches) major roles tossed to me last year and have some big projects coming up in May and June/possibly into July. Will stay tuned.

(paying down credit cards so I can get a K-5 and not feel guilty)
05-11-2011, 02:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

As much as I hate to miss a gathering, because they are always a blast, I probably won't make this one. Sorry Brendan.

Mike
05-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mike, Your Moderatorship should be stripped for such unloyality lol
I understand.
thanks for your help on the last one