Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2011, 12:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cockatoo Island 26th April?

Hi all,

I'm going to check out Cockatoo Island in Sydney Harbour on Tuesday the 26th, if anyone is keen to join me, let me know

04-21-2011, 01:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
143 views and not a single response? lol So far 2 other pentaxians and another photographer are coming.
04-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hmmm.
I might be passing through Sydney around 26/4, on my way back up to the far north coast. I could swing by Cockatoo Island. It's been years since I was there last.
04-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That would be cool, always fun to meet new people! Thinking of doing it in the afternoon, as I also want to try and get some sunset shots. There's now 4 others besides myself, 5 if you join us.

04-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, there's a few more people coming. If anyone wants to join us, we're meeting at 2pm, ferry wharf 4 at Circular Quay. The ferry to Cockatoo Island is at 2:10pm. If you decide you want to join us, message me and I'll pass on my number.
04-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Due to inclement weather, meet is postponed until Sunday. If anyone wants to come, message me.
05-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The White Bay Power Station will be open for the public on Saturday May 21 and on Sunday 22 here's the text of an email from the authority.
Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority will be holding a ‘Talks and Tours Day’ on Saturday 21 May 2011 and a ‘Photography Day’ on Sunday 22 May 2011.

Saturday 21 May 2011
9am to 5pm

Talks and Tours

This day will include talks and guided tours within some of the internal spaces of the power station. Learn about the process of power generation from the coal handling shed through the boiler house and into the turbine hall.

Heritage experts will be giving talks at 15-minute intervals throughout the day in the coal handling shed and boiler house.

Heritage experts will also host 15-minute tours of the turbine hall throughout the day.

Spaces on these tours are limited so please book in advance on 9240 8895.

Due to limited space and safety considerations, the turbine hall will be restricted to guided tours only.

The entertainment hall and part of the administration building will also be open for viewing.

You are more than welcome to bring a camera, but please consider others and save your tripod for Sunday's photography day.

Sunday 22 May 2011
10am to 4pm

Photography Day

If you are unable to make the talks and tours day on the Saturday, the power station will also be open on Sunday 22 May from 10 am to 4 pm.

Sunday will be a general open day where you will be able to take a self-guided tour of the coal handling shed, boiler house, entertainment hall and administration building.

No talks or tours will run on this day which makes it an ideal opportunity for amateur and professional photographers to come along and spend time taking photos of the historic site.

You are welcome to bring along your tripod on this day.

Please note there will be limited access to the turbine hall on Sunday.

05-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Peter, it was a great day out there and will let the others know about this

My shots from the day are here if you're curious Favourites from Cockatoo Island | Facebook
05-06-2011, 01:43 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I like your way of seeing things, Nicole.You will get some good shots at White Bay. I'm going to have a dig around for the shots I made at Cockatoo a couple of years back. I concentrated on the cranes I think. you can see my other photos at :/Flickr: peteranson's Photostream
05-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Peter, it would be an interesting day out that's for sure.

I like your photos too, you have some fabulous work in there.

I have to go and shoot some landscapes and architecture for an assignment tomorrow. I'll be in the city assisting a model shoot, so I'll start from there.