Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love the coast from Edinburgh to North Berwick. I'm a keen golfer so that bit of coastline is heaven. Five courses at Gullane alone and they are all superb (including Muirfield). At the end of the day though they are just beaches (although lunch at the Golf Inn at Gullane is good and not bad value either). Tantallon Castle at North Berwick is a decent visit if you do go that way. I'm a member of the National Trust and Historic Scotland so visit most of these spots. In Edinburgh itself I think the Botanical Gardens are great. Superb views of the Edinburgh skyline. Trip out by ferry to Inchcolm Island in the Firth of Forth is good fun. I took my lad there last year and its a good trip - under both the Forth bridges and there is a very well preserved old monastery on the Island. You need to climb Scotts Monument on Princes Street. Incredibly narrow stairs, especially on the top section. Great fun, if a touch claustrophobic. Calton Hill is an amazing viewpoint as well. Not got any photos from there as I only took up photography last year and its on my still to do list. Google it and you'll see what I mean. Don't do the Edinburgh Dungeons. Overpriced and not good.

10-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I live in the Washington DC area and we have plenty of museums. I live for photography and my husband gets annoyed with it. We are both runners and like outdoorsy naturey as well as city. I want to see things I can't see here. I can't see standing stone circles, ruined castles and abbys and basically any architechture dating before the late 1700s. What about the Isle of Arran? Is that a worthwhile trip?
I just got back (last wednesday).

Here are some videos I made - all shot on the K5.

They look best at 1080p!

Enjoy.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 10-03-2011 at 08:56 AM.
10-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #18
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I just got back (last wednesday).

Here are some videos I made - all shot on the K5.

Enjoy.
How the heck did you get those places all to yourself? I've only looked at the third one so far but the Abbys etc, where are all the other tourists? What is that empty one that in the 2minute region (interior shots)? I wanna go there!
10-03-2011, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

You snuck over the border there :-) Fountains Abbey is magnificent though isn't it. I'd love to get in there for dawn.

Caerlaverock has always been one of my favourite castles - amazing walls on the inside. Nice to see a bit of sun at Hermitage as well. Always dark and grey when I've been.

10-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How the heck did you get those places all to yourself? I've only looked at the third one so far but the Abbys etc, where are all the other tourists? What is that empty one that in the 2minute region (interior shots)? I wanna go there!
Ah..my "secrets".

We've been going to the UK for over 15 years. We belong to English Heritage and the National Trust. We spend a month over there, and go to Castles/properties during the work week.

As a photographer first, I know how to get in, get out, before the tourists start to see someone and crowd around.

I call the concept of a "Fast Workflow" the key to getting the shots.

We tend to "Open" a property and "Close" one, and take pictures while everyone else is eating lunch. It works wonders.

10-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The interior is Fountains Abbey Mel - well over the border into England just off the A1. Combined with Studley Royal its a world heritage site. Very lucky to get it so quiet. Beautiful set of videos.
10-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Ah..my "secrets".

We've been going to the UK for over 15 years. We belong to English Heritage and the National Trust. We spend a month over there, and go to Castles/properties during the work week.

As a photographer first, I know how to get in, get out, before the tourists start to see someone and crowd around.

I call the concept of a "Fast Workflow" the key to getting the shots.

We tend to "Open" a property and "Close" one, and take pictures while everyone else is eating lunch. It works wonders.

A good tactic. I always try and get there early as well. Fountains is on my list for an early visit. Its a decent walk from the entrance so an early start is a very good tactic.

10-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, and here is the camera rigg I use.

It's heavy, but I can set it up and take it down pretty quickly.

I also have two back packs with other gear, so I travel VERY heavy when in the UK.

I tend to customie the load-out for the day.
10-03-2011, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mark lj Quote
A good tactic. I always try and get there early as well. Fountains is on my list for an early visit. Its a decent walk from the entrance so an early start is a very good tactic.
Sounds like I may run into you one of these days!
As for Fountains - try this parking lot and use the alternative entrance.

GPS 54.108814,-1.587616

Using that parking lot will give you at least 20 minutes. They call it the handicap'd lot, but it was the old entrance and you can still use it.
10-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The interior is Fountains Abbey Mel - well over the border into England just off the A1. Combined with Studley Royal its a world heritage site. Very lucky to get it so quiet. Beautiful set of videos.
I use a "Walking Stool" and set up where there are no benches. That way I can stay on station longer and there are less people congregating around.

Walkstool - The stool that walks

I use the stool in the "down" position when I am using my gear.

Again..tricks of the trade.

10-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #26
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah see I need to travel either alone or with other photogs. My husband is mainstream tourist. Go when its convenient. I get rather frustrated with that because I'm always missing the good light and catching the crowds. It would be nice to have some control over this aspect but alas, I keep my mouth shut in the interest of domestic harmony. Freedom to travel more and for longer periods would be swell as well. I do find though that I am frequently able to avoid hoards of people in my shots if I'm sufficiently patient. Unfortunately, doing so, I am usually left behind by my traveling companions.

Nice rig. I have to say though, I have no interest whatsoever in shooting video. Is that bad? Lol.
10-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Using that parking lot will give you at least 20 minutes. They call it the handicap'd lot, but it was the old entrance and you can still use it.
Thank you :-)

I'm a big fan of early starts.
10-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah see I need to travel either alone or with other photogs. My husband is mainstream tourist. Go when its convenient. I get rather frustrated with that because I'm always missing the good light and catching the crowds. It would be nice to have some control over this aspect but alas, I keep my mouth shut in the interest of domestic harmony. Freedom to travel more and for longer periods would be swell as well. I do find though that I am frequently able to avoid hoards of people in my shots if I'm sufficiently patient. Unfortunately, doing so, I am usually left behind by my traveling companions.

Nice rig. I have to say though, I have no interest whatsoever in shooting video. Is that bad? Lol.
LOL...I am a photographer first. I have now replaced my 645 gear on vacation with video gear. What the K5 is capable of, and with Pentax glass, forces the "video hand".

Yes..you NEED to travel with photographers on vacation. It's a totally different set of needs.

I am so NOT touristy when I am in the UK.

I wear my "uniform" Olive green cargo pants, a light green vest and a tan columbia technical fabric polo shirt...and ZERO makeup.

I also wear a green bandana to keep my hair in check.

Why the uniform?

The colors don't ruin others' shots and I blend into the background. No makeup because I am constantly putting a viewfinder up to my eyes.

Yep..you need to travel with photographers!
10-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you :-)

I'm a big fan of early starts.
And Google Maps / Google Earth.

I scope out locations from across the globe and try and maximize my time.

10-03-2011, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #30
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lordy I haven't worn makeup for over 20 years. I'm not new to shooting by any stretch but I just haven't had many ops for travel. And when they are so limited there aren't as many choices involved. This is supposed to be an "anniversary" trip but it's not like I could take this trip with hubby, then take another photo-centric trip on my own or with friends. That's just not gonna happen. So I have to try to squeeze it all in and keep him happy as well as satisfy my photog/art needs.

I need more money. That's it! That will solve all the problems and justify the trips! Lol.