Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
Inactive Account

cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale next February

Advice please. I am cruising with the Gaither Group out of Ft. Lauderdale next February. It is my dream cruise down through the Caribbian.
I am taking My K5 but have no experience of this location and need some advice as to what lens to take.
Presumably the weather will be somewhat different to the UK. I have a large range of lens available from 300 prime to the 40mm M 2.8/17-28 fisheye/Tamron 18-250/ Pentax 100mm macro and others.
Maybe someone from that area with experience would offer advice. I am nearly 80 and this will be my first and last trip to the USA. I simply do not want to find myself with the wrong gear.

Regards Bannor 75.

Last edited by bannor75; 11-13-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling
11-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Tamron 18-250 will cover 99% of what you'll need. If you're into macro you may want to bring the 100mm macro and a tripod. If you intend to shoot indoors on the boat or during evening events without flash you may want to bring something like a 50mm f/1.4 or 35mm f/2.

On a recent trip to the West-indies I brought just my FA* 28-70/2.8 and the 100/2.8 macro. And since I knew we would go snorkeling I also brought my Optio water proof point-and-shoot camera.

In your case the longer focal lengths of the Tamron may come in handy when shooting the islands from the ship. I wasn't on a cruise and didn't need anything longer than 70mm.
11-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for that advice Ole. We are visiting Nassau..Phillipsburg..St Thomas and Half moon cay.

I would just like to get some info for these islands and what I might find interesting to snap.

I do dabble in macro and close up but I would like to know what I might find interesting to take macro to justify a macro lens and a tripod.

Have tried sourceing info on the Web but not really found what I want. Inspiration Cruises do not offer this kind of help.

Just hoping someone has been there and can give me advice.

regards Bannor75
11-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually, I don't think you need to bring a true macro lens. The Tamron has a respectably short close focus distance; should be fine for flowers and plants.

Here are some of my photos from my first trip to Cayman - the focal lengths I used are mentioned below each photo. On that trip I only used my FA 24-90mm lens and my Optio water proof camera.

11-20-2011, 02:41 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ole. Thanks for the pictures. Presumably, I can rely on similar weather.. Blue sky's, nothing but blue sky's!!
Checking through the itinery of the cruise, I get the impression that the Island visits is as much for a break as for sightseeing, the main purpose is the cruise and enjoying the many celeb singers of country and gospel.

Their music is altogether different than here in the UK.

Photography wise, I take your point that a macro lens is probably excess baggage. looking at the Sigma 30mm lens which is having very good reviews here, particularly good for street photography and album shots.

Appreciate your help.

regards Bannor75