Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Thanksgiving in Ohio-Ideas Needed

We are going to Mansfield, Ohio this weekend, and staying until the end of the month. We have done a good amount of searching for some unusual places to shoot, but haven't really found any real *special* places to head to.

We do want to do some nature photography, and will be heading to Hocking Hills, but not sure if the waterfalls are in action this time of year.

Also planning on trying to head to the Amish areas, and covered bridges, but don't have any specific places locked in yet. Anyone have any suggestions for can't miss places? It doesn't matter how close to Mansfield it is, an overnight trip isn't out of the question.

Thanks in advance!

11-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I live in Elida, Ohio, not close to Mansfield but I hear that you can get into the old Ohio Reformatory at Mansfield, they filmed the Shawshank Redemption there. You are pretty close to the "touristy" Amish area in Holmes County.

I've never been to Hocking Hills this time of year, but I would think the waterfalls should be flowing.

Killdeer Plains Wildlife area is probably about an hour west. It can be kind of hit and miss. A lot of waterfowl, bald eagles, hawks, owls frequent the place. But, it is also hunting season and it is hunted. I don't know if that spooks everything of if you see a lot of mammals on the run. Where ever you are in Ohio in November, whitetail deer are on the move, be careful driving, especially at night.

You mentioned nature, but what other type ideas are you looking for?
11-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Tom,

We really love urban exploring, finding old buildings to wander through. Problem is, trying to find ones that we can get into, without getting arrested, lol. I know there are a lot of abandoned factories around Mansfield, but last time we were out there, most of them were fenced off.

I've never heard of Killdeer Plains, will look it up I'm not very familiar with shooting wildlife, but hey, that's the great thing about digital! lol

We have been out to the Reformatory, but have only been able to see it from the road, they close it up in October. Seems a lot of the places we've wanted to go to get closed up for the winter... Will have to go out there in the spring, or summer.

I remember hearing about a very old abandoned amusement park a long time ago, but can't remember where it was. It was set on a small lake, and the woods had pretty much grown over it. Are you familiar with Roscoe Village? I am a huge history and Christmas fan, and it sounds like it would be a fun place to visit.

Thank you so much for your suggestions, I can't wait to get out of the desert and have some real weather for a few weeks!

Sue
11-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is fun to go through those old buildings, it seems to he frowned on most places anymore. I did find this website, can't verify these things though. I live close to one of these and I think it's been torn down and was fenced in anyway, I don't know how those people got in. That old amusement park may be the one listed on the website, but sounds like it could be gone by now.

Killdeer plains is not scenic, it's flat with a lot of water, and it's hit or miss. It's close to Marion which may have some interesting old factories and a lot of railroads.

I'm not that familiar with Cleveland a Akron, I know Youngstown has miles of abandoned industrial sites, at least it did a few years ago. Columbus has never been an industrial town, lot of other stuff. Everytime I drive through Cincinnati I see old building that I would like to see, but never have the time, lots of old buildings with character spread throughout the town along I-75. Also would like to shoot that skyline from across the river on the high ground, it's beautiful.

11-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Just finished packing, will be in Ohio by this time tomorrow Sound like we will find plenty to shoot!

What a great link! That's the kind of stuff we try to find out here, but Vegas just demolishes our old buildings and rebuilds. I think Chippewa Lake is the amusement park I was thinking about, can't hurt to check it out

Wow... can you tell I'm desperate to go on vacation? lol

Thanks again, it sounds like we can find some interesting places, just by driving around. Can't wait!

Sue... Who has exceeded her allowed usage of smileys for the year