Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #1

Places to shoot in Finland?

Hi Guys,

I'm going to be in Helsinki this coming weekend (Saturday-Monday) and am looking to do some shooting while I'm out there.

Anyone have any recommendations for places to go?

Thanks!

01-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If it was summer I could recommed the historical sea fortress 'Suomenlinna' (on an island right in front of Helsinki), might be a bit cold and grim this time of the year though . Other tips: Helsinki at ease: Favourite places - Helsinki.fi city portal.

edit: For getting around I'd recommend public transport, a three day ticket is 14€ (see:http://www.hsl.fi/EN/Pages/default.aspx, the route planner is handy, give it from and to street addresses and it figures out a way to get there with the next available public transport, the 'metro' and the trams are the most convenient with their frequent schedules ).

Last edited by jolepp; 01-04-2012 at 11:25 AM.
01-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The neoclassical center provides lots of interesting possibilities, especially the Senate square and its surroundings. The white cathedral is one of the landmarks of Helsinki. Another interesting church is the orthodox Uspenski cathedral not too far away. The Esplanade park with its winter lights is quite a sight after dusk. The interior of the University library is well worth visiting. These are all in the very center of Helsinki.
Temppeliaukio church is a showpiece of modern church architecture. You can easily get there with a tram.
01-05-2012, 05:32 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips!

Anywhere I might be able to find some urban wildlife/animals/birds? I don't really have the time or means to travel far beyond Helsinki unfortunately.

The weather forecast isn't looking too bad at the moment! Fingers crossed!

01-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The actual wildlife sites are on the countryside, and it takes a full day - or two - to visit them.
You might want to drop in the Helsinki zoo. In addition to the usual things they have many of the species typical for Finland. Some of them are very difficult to find in the wilderness. For example the lynx is very,very elusive, and even if you get to see it , it will be gone in a second or two. In the zoo you have much more opportunities for getting a decent shot. They also have moose, reindeer, typical Finnish sealife like seals etc. There are good connections from central Helsinki by bus and underground ( change required).
Weather permitting, strolling around the Kaivopuisto park by the sea might be worth considering. Swans and other birds sometimes gather on the shore here. The Ursula cafe here is one of my favourite places for having a cup of warm tea or coffee...