Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2012, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Toronto Meet Sat April 14th HighPark Cherry Blossoms

Okay so due to weather/mother nature the meet is now rescheduled to as posted title Saturday 14th April 2012, 9 AM

We can all meet at Grenadier Restaurant as the line of trees are on two paths from there.

Map of the two walks marked with the "Xs", there is parking at the zoo and others scattered throughout the park if you're driving, Bloor street there are two subway stops Keele and High Park.

Here's the City's pdf map with parking and other details you might find useful

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/featured-parks/high-park/map-highpark.pdf

Last edited by Clicker; 04-06-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: new time
02-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
rhe
Closed Account

Great idea ... MightyMike and Clicker!

High Park has a website that gives running commentary on the progress of the blooming of the blossoms as we move into late April- May: High Park Cherry Blossom Walk
02-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks rhe that link helps a lot, sorry i have no info about your trip, never been there

You've probably checked the Canadian Govenment travel advisory which warns against travel to the north and east.
02-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Sounds good Any luck I will have a new K5 or maybe K-01 by then. Should be good

02-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
looking forward to meeting you jezza323...*K5*

guys/gals this isn't restricted to only Pentax users, lots of members are mulit-brand and multi format users, everyone is welcomed
02-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been lurking here for a while with the hope that I can actually have my work schedule and the walks line up. I think it might work this time! I look forward to bringing my K200D out for a stroll.

I recommend Lit on Roncesvalles afterwards for coffee and such.
02-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Welcome out of the shadows patrickrea, we'll be looking forward to meeting you and "Lit" is noted and looks like a photo-op in itself

Espresso Bar Toronto | Lit Espresso Bar

221 Roncesvalles Ave, Toronto, Toronto Division, Ontario - Google Maps

03-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
Forum Member

Cherry Blossoms & Alternative photo spots

Correct me if I am wrong, but the avenue of cherry blossoms is located well below the Grenadier restaurant adjacent to the children's playground and car-park. A road leading down to the blossoms is opposite the exit from the Grenadier car park and the blossoms are on the right at the bottom. As a heads-up to those wishing to access the park from the Gardiner or Lakeshore Blvd., you must navigate to Lakeshore Blvd and take the Parkside Drive exit and go north to the east gate on Parkside Drive halfway between Lakeshore and Bloor Street as there is no entrance from the Gardiner or Queensway. If you enter from the east gate turn right at the stop sign inside the park and go up the hill to the restaurant. You will see the cherry trees as you do so. The main entrance to the park of course is on Bloor St.
The ornamental gardens and reflecting light pools are are a good photo op and near the restaurant car park.
03-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
Hi folks. I did make it out last year, must have been only for about 45 min in the early morning before work. But it is a great idea and I wish I could be there, but I think it's unlikely. In reply to Mike's post, you can get there from the Lakeshore or the Queensway via Colborne Lodge Dr., which will actually take you right into the south end of the park. There's a place to park your car and then you walk for 5-10 min. and you're at the blossoms, not far from the southeast corner of the Grenadier pond. I guess they extend a ways, I didn't have much time to look around and frankly I think's been maybe the third time I've even been in the park.

To whet people's appetite for the outing, here's some pix. Mostly shot with the 18-135mm, and rather clumsily I might add in terms of metering etc. Still had lots to learn then and still lots more now.

03-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
Forum Member

Coyote's in the park

High Park is the most diverse in terms of photo ops. Many types of trees and plants, wildlife, many species of birds, hawks and owls. Also coyotes, fox and deer if you keep your eyes open. There is also a small zoo, but many of the animals are not on dispaly in the winter. Going early will avoid the crowds and wedding groups that show-up for the blossoms.
03-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
check the link that rhe posted there's actually 2 walks ... hoping for a big turnout?
03-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm actually in Toronto that weekend. I might see some of you there. I'll be the one the one holding Km and/or possibly a K-01 looking like I'm out of place. Thanks for the heads up on this.
03-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We'll keep an eye out for you but most likely anyone with a Pentax on that day is from the forum just introduce yourself
03-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, High Park is my old stomping grounds (used to live across the street from it)!
I'm cetainly up for a meet in May. I'll keep on eye on this thread in case the weather/blooming changes...
03-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tentatively in. Sounds good.
If you are into the whole garden/colour experience, the Tulip festival Royal Botanical in Burlington is worth a look too, although pubs on the grounds not so much. starts first weekend in May. WebLink