Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
3 nights 4 days out of Vegas

I was thinking of flying into Vegas , renting a car and take 3 or 4 days to travel around and shoot some landscapes. This would be in the fall so the summer temps should not come into effect . I have a few ideas as several people have done it and I have looked online as well.

Just curious what do you think the have to see places that are reasonably close to Vegas ?

04-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I was thinking of flying into Vegas , renting a car and take 3 or 4 days to travel around and shoot some landscapes. This would be in the fall so the summer temps should not come into effect . I have a few ideas as several people have done it and I have looked online as well.

Just curious what do you think the have to see places that are reasonably close to Vegas ?
3 obvious one the hoover dam and though it's a bit of a drive from Vegas Yosemite (6 hours or so) and the Grand Canyon (300 miles i think) not much time for vegas in those drives though, make it a week and you'll have time to pay off the trip at the tables
04-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
3 obvious one the hoover dam and though it's a bit of a drive from Vegas Yosemite (6 hours or so) and the Grand Canyon (300 miles i think) not much time for vegas in those drives though, make it a week and you'll have time to pay off the trip at the tables
haha we have been to Vegas numerous times and this a compromise trip for me I manages to convine my wife we should get out and see the area. Yes we plan to stay a week , I get 3 maybe 4 days to get out and shoot and then and we will back to Vegas Thursday (during the day or night) where the photography trips ends and well you all know what happens in Vegas ................

I think Yosemite might be a bit far unless we plan to stay there the whole time - but maybe not thanks the suggestions.
04-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
haha we have been to Vegas numerous times and this a compromise trip for me I manages to convine my wife we should get out and see the area. Yes we plan to stay a week , I get 3 maybe 4 days to get out and shoot and then and we will back to Vegas Thursday (during the day or night) where the photography trips ends and well you all know what happens in Vegas ................

I think Yosemite might be a bit far unless we plan to stay there the whole time - but maybe not thanks the suggestions.
I just brought up yosemite because i've been trying to convince my wife it's a good side trip (even from San Fran she has no desire to hike up the hills so if we go it will be expensive because i'll be leaving her in san fran with a credit card and nothing to do

04-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

When I was in the neighbourhood, I enjoyed very much photographing the Valley of Fire state park and of course, Death Valley natl park early in the morning.
Both are close enough to Vegas. Obviously you need to be into rocks and dry, dead stuff
Yosemite is awesome and more refreshing but much further away.
And there's the Strip at night, which is not a big secret either! Have a nice trip 8)
04-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks victordeamorin I have heard of the Valley of Fire will look into that. I have more than enough pictures of Vegas the town , the stip, downtown Day, night and mid afternoon that the last couple of times I don't even bring my Camera - but the K5 has never been there so maybe some shots from the Eiffle Tower are indeed in order

Eddie I hear ya ! And as for winning enough at the tables to pay for the Trip ,,,, have you ever been to Vegas - ha that's the allure but I stopped counting on that after day 1 my first time there

I was thinking Zion Park, Death Valley, Bryce Canyon, now possibly Yosemite ... keep'em coming.
04-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #7

We just came from similar trip with my friend. So, I am second for Valley of Fire - amazing place. Also will recommend Lake Mead National Recreation Area - you can go to Valley of fire thought it and stop at Redsand dunes. Also Red Rock Canyon - very close to Vegas with small hikes opportunity.

04-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

hahaha I don't need to go to Vegas to know counting on the tables to pay for the trip is a fools game. but you never know you could get lucky someone has to (on the backs of the millions who don't of course - no different than lotto max or 649 - i never win there either )
04-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

also a bit of a drive (4 hours or so) is Joshua Tree park closer than Yosemite anyway and equally impressive (Valley of fire is just before Joshua tree)
04-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If you haven't booked as yet, land in LV rent the vehicle drive toward LA shoot everything inbetween and fly out of LA with vehicle drop off in LA also. it will cost more naturally.
I once did TO to LA drove up SF alondg the coast and flew out of there with car drop off...but no time constraints...there weas too much to find

Last edited by Clicker; 04-23-2012 at 12:27 PM.
04-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks yurko_yr and eddie1960

I like your idea Clicker - however landing in Vegas and driving to LA while not actually spending any time in Las Vegas for me would be an impossible sell :-) thanks though !
04-23-2012, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Here's a start,

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/179053-going-las-v...my-camera.html