Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where to go in Pittsburgh?

Hi,
I'm going to travel to Pittsburgh on Thursday and visit my brother. Of course I'll take my camera with me and hope to capture some nice images of Pittsburgh. Do you have any advise on places I should check out? Any places where you have a good view on the skyline of Pittsburgh or architectural interesting places?
Cheers,
David

05-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the classic Pittsburgh skyline to the incline to Mt Washington. You will see the whole city. If you want to get to some old classic industrial era architecture, go over to the convention center and theatre district area along Liberty Ave and Penn Ave. Check out the old Benedum Theatre, if you can get inside the classic architecture is amazing. Plus, you are only a block or two from the rivers and get some excellent bridge pics. Have fun, Pittsburgh is a cool city.
05-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What EricBrown said.

Also, at Mt Washington, the view from the top of Duquence Incline is my favorite. The view from Mt Washington at night is also nice, of course you need a tripod. If you go further west to Point of View Park there is the iconic statue of George Washingtion and Seneca Indian chief. Imho, the best view of Pittsburgh is from the West End overlook, but it is a bit of a challenge to get there.

From Mt Washington, segway to Station Square Mall, Gateway Clipper dock, then North Shore for alternate view of the city skyline. If you have time, book a 1 hour ride on the Gateway Clippers.

Additional architectural interest around downtown: city hall, old jail, PPG building (watch out for over aggressive security), Heinz Stadium, PNC stadium, Smithfield bridge, 3 sisters suspension bridges.

Further out west to Oakland, there is the gothic Cathedral of Learning. The ethnic class rooms on the first and 2nd floor are exquisite and special. Next to it is the Carnegie Museum.

Last edited by song_hm; 05-15-2012 at 08:02 AM.
05-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If your brother has lived in the 'Burgh for a while, he should be able to get you to the West End Overlook. It is amazing, and I would offer to meet up with you if I hadn't moved to california. The city and it's surrounding area are so diverse that the real question is, what are you interested in shooting? That might help us give you some even more specific feedback.

If you are interested in checking out other people's work while you are in town, there is a wonderful gallery called The Silver Eye Center for Photography.

Good luck, and please share your results!

05-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm sorry, you already did mention your interests.
05-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #6
Banned

Photos: Albums
Also go on a boat tour. Either the limited tour; the Ducky from Station Square. Or a longer tour aboard the Gateway clipper.

Also hit the sub at the Science Center; or just plain walk around that general area.

QuoteOriginally posted by song_hm Quote
PPG building (watch out for over aggressive security),
Darn mall guards. Yes they even request photo id at the ppg parking garages. But remember that above ground (but NOT indoors) at ppg is indeed considered a public park; they cannot use restrictions. Also try the nearby Market Square, or even Point State Park.

To conclude for now; one of my two residences in near Pittsburgh, northern burbs. Anyone else here interested in a general Pgh informal meeting??
05-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input! I'm really excited to get there and see what Pittsburgh is like. If I'm able to take some decent images I'm definitely going to share them here with you! Right now I'm packing my things and can't decide which lenses I should take on the trip ;-)
Thanks again,
David

05-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I would love to see some images from the Vivitar 3.5 17mm, personally.

You will definitely make great images. One more place, which I don't think we have mentioned, is the fountain at Point State Park (the point of the triangle where the rivers meet). The sun sets behind the fountain, and there is a mountain to your left side. It is a great view.
05-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I would love to see some images from the Vivitar 3.5 17mm, personally.
I'm sorry, my signature isn't up to date anymore: I sold the Vivitar recently in order to be able to afford the DA 15 mm Limited.
05-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
Banned

Photos: Albums
Let me also add in...

The crime aspect; it can happen in any large city and even in a rural area. I personally have never had an issue with it; even overnight in places like Times Square and Central Park, even the Bronx.

But even in Pittsburgh, watch what area one might flaunt their camera. There have been instances in and around sporting events or where there are larger crowds. Also, Don't stray into Oakland - it's almost asking for trouble - unless you have others with you. The same can be said for SouthSide and the Strip District; where - there have been grab and go's with people on bicycles.
06-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi,
I'm back from Pittsburgh and a really great time there. It's definitly a place worth checking out. And thanks again for your input. You helped me a lot on deciding where to go in Pittsburgh. So far I've just started processing some of the many images I took and posted my favorites on PF: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/188516-travel-pittsburgh.html
Cheers,
David
06-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You definitely hit some of the best places! I am embarrassed to admit that, while living there, I took a bit of it for granted and didn't get picture of everything. It's great to see these.