Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shooting locations - Vancouver Island, BC

In less than a week I'll be heading to Victoria BC, and I will be attacking the island area with my camera gear. Not being very familiar with the Vancouver Island, I was hoping some of you could point me in the direction of some great rocky beaches, nice parts of town (bridges, monuments etc).. anything at all that comes to mind would be appreciated!

09-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My mom used to live in SIdney , so I know there are some great locations out there. But I don't know anyoone to point you too for advice. Some of my best pictures last time out came from Pacific Rim National Park... but that's a long way from Victoria. Buschart Gradens in VIctoria is a nice botanical garden in an old quarry in Victoria, and just going for a walk in the ocean front parks can be great. There has to be someone who knows more about this than me... I was last there 20 years ago.
09-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
In less than a week I'll be heading to Victoria BC, and I will be attacking the island area with my camera gear. Not being very familiar with the Vancouver Island, I was hoping some of you could point me in the direction of some great rocky beaches, nice parts of town (bridges, monuments etc).. anything at all that comes to mind would be appreciated!
If you have the time and the guts, I would suggest taking on the West Coast trail ...

West Coast Trail Hiking Adventure Vacation - Plan your Tour With Coastal Bliss Adventures

Then again, if you can't make the trek, it is still VERY worthwhile to explore the West Coast of Vancouver Island.

Cheers!

JP
09-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Esquimalt lagoon is a must (the pacific fleet is parked just to the left of the bird sanctuary as well). If you are fine with being there early morning (which is the best time) I can drop by on my way into work and can bring along the 600 or 1200 if your interested.

Victoria is near the tip of the island, so if you drive out the Sooke side, you'll be on open ocean with a more weathered look (checkout Easy Sooke Park, but do some research for which entrance you want to head into, as it can be quite a hike).

The gulf islands are nice but need a short ferry ride to get to. Downtown has the usual touristy stuff. Goldstream is a month or so from the salmon run and the eagle visit, but still worth a visit.

09-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have been to Buchart Gardens as a kid, but that was QUITE some time ago.. Esquimalt Lagoon I've looked up, and it does look like a promising location.. tempting to try out a 600 or 1200, but that would only be if my Ex allows me to take what used to be "Our" K-5.. now is "HER" K-5.. so I've jumped to a D800 because Pentax drag's it's heels on FF Sensor cameras.. I can reach to 300mm, and I can crop the living hell out of a shot being a 36MP sensor.. But in general I'm looking mainly for amazing scenery, landscape, seascape, cityscape type of shooting.. Personally most of my shooting preferences would lead people to think I should be a Vampire.. but I do enjoy Sunrise and Sunsets.. but i LOVE Night shooting. I have a relative out in Sooke as wellas around prospect Lake and another in Victoria.. so I have options to have an early start from any of those places... I have considered heading out to the Pacific Rim National Park area to see what's around there..
09-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Telegraph Cove is a nice place, we took a whale watching trip from there a few years ago. The area around is interesting as well, the big logging operations make interesting subjects to shoot.
The whale watching boats are restricted out of the area where the Killer Whales are commonly seen, you still get close but not really close, but the whales are fairly close to land so a decent lens and a bit of a hike might get some stunning shots. And of course there's Eagles everywhere. It's a beautiful area altogether, you could just point and shoot at random and get nice pictures. A setting like that actually takes some thought to get great pictures.
09-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info.. I leave at 6am.. ready to rock!
I think I'm ready for the weekend..

09-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Is the little Canon an APS system IXUS ? I had great results with mine for many years, it's still in a draw of my desk I think.
09-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the two canon's are purely for time lapse shooting, The little one is an SD600 and the bigger one is an A540, Just load CHDK's hacked firmware and it unlocks and enables an AMAZING amount of features from Time Lapse, Motion Detection shooting to RAW (DNG) file handling, I think even HDR Bracketing.. Amazing work they have done with that Firmware,

I'm Heading to Port Renfrew today, possibly Witty's Lagoon for sun-up tomorrow. I need to decide on a evening/night to go downtown and shoot yet. Unfortunately for photo's the tides are only 5-6 feet and slow to rise.. so no hard heavy sets of waves unless a good wind picks up a bit.. which I'm hoping for at Port Renfrew.

Any good non-London Drugs Camera stores here in the Victoria area?
09-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Being born on the Island and living there 33 of my 33+ years I wish I had found this sooner! OMG.. In the Greater Victoria area You.have to go to Goldstream Park and from there take a small hike across the highway to Little Niagara falls. In the Victoria area there is good shooting in and around Beacon Hill Park and out in the Colwood Metchosin area there is Royal Roads University with Hately Castle Gardens ...my parents live on the edge of the old growth forest there. East Sooke Park is equally awesome!
If you choose to go up Island, on the East side be sure to go to Qualicum falls,just west of Parksville and Cathedral Grove On the road to Port Alberni and the west coast (Pac Rim Park). I think there's a store called Robinsons Cameras in Victoria downtown that is good....on Broad Street.
If you want more info let me know and again sorry I missed this thread!
09-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wish ya posted earlier too!! Ahh well, I did get to Royal Rhodes, Witty's Lagoon, The Chinese Graveyard (My Great Grandmother used to live in that area), I went past East Sooke Park and shot.. but I wish I went to the Pot Holes.. I made it up to Port Renfrew and the Juan De Fuca Provincial Park, as well as some downtown Vic shooting.. Johnson St. bridge, Parliament, The Empress.. I didn't have time for Goldstream Park.. but I also am from the interior and have more than enough good water falls in my neck of the woods.. I wanted to hit Carmana Valley, but didn't have time for that drive.. I also missed out on Fantan Alley as well.. so I think I'll have to return soon.. I am thinking January when it's stormy and the waves are pounding the beach good!
09-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are some shots from both my D800 and my old (now my Ex's) K-5.. man do I miss the fisheye.. such a fun lens!!

K-5 Shots almost all fisheye.. I had the 18-135 WR and FA43 Ltd also

D800 Shots

Last edited by Chex; 09-18-2012 at 08:31 PM.
11-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Chex - can you tell me which photos you took with the k-5, unbelievable shot #1 and the MG, love the colour on the car.
11-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richardwong Quote
Chex - can you tell me which photos you took with the k-5, unbelievable shot #1 and the MG, love the colour on the car.
All of those pics were taken with my old K-5, except the picture OF the K-5 on the beach.. The first, which is my favorite of the entire damn trip.. taken on the way out there.., was taken with the 10-17 Fisheye! Damn I miss that lens!
11-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
All of those pics were taken with my old K-5, except the picture OF the K-5 on the beach.. The first, which is my favorite of the entire damn trip.. taken on the way out there.., was taken with the 10-17 Fisheye! Damn I miss that lens!
Thanks Chex those are great pics and is that your collector MG? The fisheye almost looks like it could be panoramic like in pic#1.