Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #106
Veteran Member

23rd ave and Greenway

06-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #107
Pentaxian

Anybody up for a hike sometime? Not in the Valley, of course. Too darn hot. I've had some fun up in the Payson and Globe areas. Shame about the fire near Prescott.

If you guys aren't very physical, this place looks interesting. Butterflies, anyone?

Welcome to Butterfly Wonderland - A Rainforest Experience.

It's open all week from 9 to 5. Admission is $19 per person...

I had planned to go there with my Nikon buddy last weekend, but something came up for him. Maybe we could sync with his schedule some weekend and show him what Pentax and do.
06-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #108
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I went hiking up at Horton's Creek years ago. Great hike, but without a car I am pretty much stuck in the house
06-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cregar Quote
I went hiking up at Horton's Creek years ago. Great hike, but without a car I am pretty much stuck in the house
Shame about that. That was me two months ago. I considered that hike a few weekends ago, but wound up doing another one.

Is the lack of transportation temporary? Do you still want to do hikes? I wouldn't mind picking you up. You're only 30 minutes away, and not entirely in the wrong direction if I'm going to Payson. We could get together some weekend.

Anyway, sorry for the short notice, but I'm definitely going to see the butterflies tomorrow at 10:00 in the morning. I'm going to be there for at least a few hours. Anyone is welcome to join me if they want. I'll wear an orange shirt. I'll be with a bald guy with his girlfriend, and maybe a black guy and his girlfriend. Possibly a long-haired guy as well. If you get wind of this before I leave, PM me and I'll send my cell number.

It's at Exit 43 on 101. It's on the east side of the highway on Via de Ventura, right here. It's seems construction wasn't finished when Google took their satellite pictures. You can find directions on the website here:

Butterfly Wonderland Map & Directions

Last edited by scratchpaddy; 06-22-2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Added location info
07-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #110

Help with 16-50 SDM issue:

Hi Everyone,
I'm Sylvia a fairly recent Pentax user, having purchased a K-5iis and 16-50/2.8 lens in Feb. I purchased the lens from KEH via Amazon Marketplace. It has become pretty obvious that the lens' SDM motor is spotty having getting it to AF only a few times. I've taken a few trips since acquiring the lens/camera so I haven't really had the time to send it back to KEH. What I would like to know is,
1) is there anyone in the Phoenix area who has managed to deactivate the SDM motor using the method described in the following thread
(https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-dea...m-f-2-8-a.html) and
2) if so, would any of you be willing to do so with my lens? I would be more than willing to meet at a public location (mall, restaurant, etc) and pay for your time.
I have a month before returning the lens is not an option, and I really don't want to be without a normal lens, but will bite the bullet if need be.
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Sylvia
07-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #111
Veteran Member

We hike Horton Creek a couple times a year, usually October and May-ish. We also do an annual trek to West Fork in Sedona about the 3rd week in October.

Sprinkle in 2 or 3 Grand Canyon trips, especially if it snows and can get up there on a weekend, add 3 or 4 Sedona trips and you have our hiking itinerary for the year.

Around town, in the Nov-Mar range will make a trip or 2 to Gilbert Bird Park, and probably a trip to the botanical gardens during butterfly season.

We've also gone out to Bartlett Lake for wildflowers.

Come October, would be happy to organize something if there's interest. Right now I'm doing my best to get out of town for a week at a time, so when in town, stuck catching up on work so I can leave again
07-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #112
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LB1103 Quote
Hi Everyone,
I'm Sylvia a fairly recent Pentax user, having purchased a K-5iis and 16-50/2.8 lens in Feb. I purchased the lens from KEH via Amazon Marketplace. It has become pretty obvious that the lens' SDM motor is spotty having getting it to AF only a few times. I've taken a few trips since acquiring the lens/camera so I haven't really had the time to send it back to KEH. What I would like to know is,
1) is there anyone in the Phoenix area who has managed to deactivate the SDM motor using the method described in the following thread
(https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-dea...m-f-2-8-a.html) and
2) if so, would any of you be willing to do so with my lens? I would be more than willing to meet at a public location (mall, restaurant, etc) and pay for your time.
I have a month before returning the lens is not an option, and I really don't want to be without a normal lens, but will bite the bullet if need be.
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Sylvia
Hi, Sylvia -

I don't have a clue how to do what you describe, but if I were you, I'd simply switch the camera to manual focus with the lever on the left front of the camera, and use it in manual focus mode until I could return it to get the autofocus issue taken care of. A bit slower, but the results should be very satisfactory as an interim solution.

John

07-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #113

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
Hi, Sylvia -

I don't have a clue how to do what you describe, but if I were you, I'd simply switch the camera to manual focus with the lever on the left front of the camera, and use it in manual focus mode until I could return it to get the autofocus issue taken care of. A bit slower, but the results should be very satisfactory as an interim solution.

John
Thanks for the reply John, and yes I have been manually focusing the lens. As primarily a landscape shooter, this isn't really a big deal, it would just be nice to have the lens auto focus properly. I will either send it back or buy a used K10D body and attempt the deactivation myself.
07-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LB1103 Quote
Thanks for the reply John, and yes I have been manually focusing the lens. As primarily a landscape shooter, this isn't really a big deal, it would just be nice to have the lens auto focus properly. I will either send it back or buy a used K10D body and attempt the deactivation myself.
Sylvia,

I can loan you an interim AF lens if you want to get yours to the repair station in Chandler. You can get in touch with me at paladin@outdrs.net. I have a Pentax 18-55 sitting on a K200D backup body that gets little use. I've had some Pentax warranty issues too, and that repair station is handy and fairly fast in turnaround. The 18-55 isn't a world beater, but it sure works reliably. You are welcome to borrow it.

John
07-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #115

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
Sylvia,

I can loan you an interim AF lens if you want to get yours to the repair station in Chandler. You can get in touch with me at paladin@outdrs.net. I have a Pentax 18-55 sitting on a K200D backup body that gets little use. I've had some Pentax warranty issues too, and that repair station is handy and fairly fast in turnaround. The 18-55 isn't a world beater, but it sure works reliably. You are welcome to borrow it.

John
Thank you very much for the offer, John. I do have a couple of other lenses, one being the DFA100 macro that I can use, but I most certainly will keep the offer in mind. It is very generous of you.
Sylvia
08-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #116

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Repair

Did someone say there's an authorized Pentax service center in Chandler? Who and where?
08-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #117

CRIS, highly recommended by most of my photography friends. Just do a Google search for the address. I think it is somewhere around Ray Rd, closer to Awhatukee.
08-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

CRIS pretty easy to find. They are located about a block east of the I10 / Chandler Blvd intersection, and then about a half block to the north on 54 Street. They are on the left hand side of the street when heading north.
C.R.I.S.
250 North 54th Street
Chandler, AZ 85226
Phone: (480) 940-1103
Fax: (480) 940-1329