Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Travel to Netherlands

I will be in Amsterdam/Baarn in the last week of September for 6-8 days. I was wondering if some localites would recommend areas/districts to stay, places to see, and such. I plan to use my 18-55 kit lens, along with a 35mm. Most people say that traveling to Europe makes longer FL pointess due to great arcgitecture and smaller streets. This makes "zooming with legs" challenging.

I am not sure what is happening at the end of summer. Spring, I know, would have been beautiful. I am open to photography of people, places and things. So, ANY ideas would be welcome....

02-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what will you be doing there? work, or just holiday?

End of septem,ber is weird, last couple of years we have had much better weather in september/october than june/july. Beach going temps actually. But always be prepared for showers.
But where will your interests be, country side? city? beaches?

But I think you will have a wander around Amsterdam. I personally like Utrecht much nicer (pretty close to Baarn). Also Hilversum is nice. Small but pretty is Delft. And a must see in the area that you are is Naarden
02-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
what will you be doing there? work, or just holiday?

End of septem,ber is weird, last couple of years we have had much better weather in september/october than june/july. Beach going temps actually. But always be prepared for showers.
But where will your interests be, country side? city? beaches?

But I think you will have a wander around Amsterdam. I personally like Utrecht much nicer (pretty close to Baarn). Also Hilversum is nice. Small but pretty is Delft. And a must see in the area that you are is Naarden
Thank you!. I have a brief visit to Baarn the end of September. I may come in a week early, tour around a little, then finish the meetings, and finally head home. I imagine I could stay in Amsterdam and take the trains to various areas. Where do you recommend staying, with a baby?
02-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

To tell you the truth, I have no idea where to stay in Amsterdam (don't go there often, only when showing people around). But I'll ask a friend who lives there if he knows a good one. But a hotel close to the Voldelpark would be nice, you can take a stroll there and he (or she) can play in the grass.
Yes the train is a good option, it not that cheap though. But it will get you to most places. Just Naarden cannot be reached by train, you will have to take a bus.
Another place which is worth the visit (also not by train) is Volendam, you can't get much Dutcher than that place.

02-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wonderful tips! Thank you! What lens do you recommend for these places? I imagine them to be more open than the streets of Venice...
02-15-2013, 03:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

with citytrips I used to have a 20, 50 and a 135mm lens with me (analog period). haven't done a city trip with the digicam yet. But now it would be a 14, 28-35 and 85mm in ideal conditions (but as I do not have those lenses, I cant). The 14 for wider shots, 35 as standard on camera, and the 85 for portraits. With my equipment, I would now probably take my 20, 50 and 135M lenses with my K-01. But as you have a baby, I would take one zoom atleast (16-45 is my fav)