Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #1

Any Pentaxians live near Sendai?

Just curious if anyone here on the forums lives near Sendai. I always shoot alone but would love to shoot with another Pentax user around Tohoku. Maybe I should find a Japanese language Pentax forum to ask this, but I thought I would try here first. Thanks!

03-17-2013, 03:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Oh drat, I was there for business about half a year ago, and had a weekend lingering around. Very nice area, and met a bunch of nice people, but didn't know of any pentaxians there then, so I didn't get to photograph a whole lot at the time.
03-17-2013, 04:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
Dang! I would have loved to have drove you around and photographed the area!! Please hit me up if you are ever back in the area!
03-17-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for the offer, will take you up on it next time.

The spring brings me to Tokyo (later this month) and perhaps to Tskuba in May - which is not exactly your neck of the woods. I do have a thing for Japan, though, so I do not protest when work brings me over there a handful of times every year

03-17-2013, 04:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
Your work must be quite tied to Japan! I rarely make it to Europe as it seems most of my work primarily keeps me in Japan and the suroundings (and my travel costs low). Too bad you are not heading to Kyoto. There is some amazing street photography to be had in Tokyo. I hope you get some time to grab some shots while you are there!
03-17-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Been to Kyoto half a dozen times, once on a week-long vacation (yes, I go to Japan for work and when I vacation I also head to Japan..) and even so, I have seen only a tiny fraction of the sights in the city.

One of the more memorable experiences in Kyoto was when (many years back, young and naive) I befriended a local Yakuza-boss whilst boiling off a long hard days work in an onsen, and ended up spending a night on the town with him (& on his tab).....when his driver drove me back to my Ryokan, mamma-san almost had a heart attack
03-17-2013, 04:59 AM   #7

Original Poster
Haha! I have never had that happen... that would be a real night out! Good thing you did not get on his bad side. Great story! Kyoto is a great city and it fits me a little better than Tokyo. Tokyo is just too big and hectic! I will be back in Kyoto at the start of April for some shooting. Next time you vacation you should try Nagano, Aomori or Hokkaido. I am especially fond of the north. But it is all nice! Have a great trip!

03-17-2013, 05:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CB Knipp Quote
Haha! I have never had that happen... that would be a real night out! Good thing you did not get on his bad side. Great story! Kyoto is a great city and it fits me a little better than Tokyo. Tokyo is just too big and hectic! I will be back in Kyoto at the start of April for some shooting. Next time you vacation you should try Nagano, Aomori or Hokkaido. I am especially fond of the north. But it is all nice! Have a great trip!
Well, he was quite a gentleman, and it was quite the experience (including a good part of the night at a real geisha establishment - I am given to understand that such is rare for a gaijin to experience) I must say, but it has frightened almost every Japanese, to whom I've told the story

Hokkaido is on my list of places to visit, the wife of a very good friend of mine is from there. He's a passionate amateur photographer also (albeit a Nikonist) and I must say that it's very picturesque.