Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #16
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi guys. Just thought i would bring to your attention about the website mentioned that they ship from Hong Kong, and i recall reading somewhere a while back that they were a company that customs was watching and a few people had been getting slugged import duty. And the warranty thing as well.

That said i got my original K5 there for cheaper than anyware in aus and didnt get import duty (cheaper by around 2-3 hundred at the time) and cheaper than BH in the states (does anyone else hate the shipping costs from BH to aus? Its ok if you are buying a ton of stuff but try buy a couple small cheap things)

04-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I hate *all* the shipping costs from the States to Aus. Period. So often Ive seen things come up here in the marketplace at a good price, but postage has just killed the deal
DWI do seem to use FedEX tho - so at least it should be cheap.
04-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
The Kr has always been oddly priced. It's kinda like it never dropped. Ever. Even after it was discontinued.
As the K5II vs K5Classic - LOL
I happened to wander past a camera shop here in Perth the other day, they had an A-Frame poster out the front with a deal on the k-r...
Pentax K-R w/ 18-55mm Lens
$349 with a 18-55...
Just for interests sake.
Cheers
Dean
04-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Well, I didn't know that. One can only hope they get a good one in the first instance.
Yeah, I made the mistake of buying my K-x from overseas and the e-dial started playing up pretty much from the outset.
I see you're in Goondi Ash. I'm only two hours north west in St George. I've got a mate in Dirranbandi two who shoots Pentax. Must get him onto this site.

04-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #20
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brisboy Quote
Yeah, I made the mistake of buying my K-x from overseas and the e-dial started playing up pretty much from the outset.
I see you're in Goondi Ash. I'm only two hours north west in St George. I've got a mate in Dirranbandi two who shoots Pentax. Must get him onto this site.
Yes, you must! Your friend wouldn't have many like minded people out at Dirranbandi. We get a fair few people coming to our medical centre from there. And you being in St George, well if you even do pass our way, be sure to give a heads up to meet up with you.

Last edited by Ash; 04-05-2013 at 02:14 PM.
04-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi guys,
FYI: I have purchased from DWI what I consider "low risk factor" items (couple of lenses and filters). They deliver from their warehouse in Hong Kong. I have not had any issues with them.
However, for "high risk factor" items like bodies, I stick with Australian stores. Got my K-01 yellow brick on-line from Leederville in Perth about 6 months ago.
There can be good deals found locally, just have to do research and keep an eye on specials offered by local stores.
Cheers,
04-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #22
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The challenge is finding the big ticket items in a B&M store at a comparable price to that of online retailers. Anyone seen a K-5 IIs priced around $950 in a store?

04-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #23
Veteran Member

You have to factor in the cost of warranty as the distributor charges in advance for that. Also, there's only so much a local tech can do and your item may have to go back to Pentax for repair. Last year I sent my 1st DA*55 and DA*50-135 to CRK for repair and they went to Melbourne and on to Japan because they just couldn't do the job in Melbourne - they were away for 4 months. Imagine the cost of doing that yourself... ..if you could. I'm not sure Pentax Japan would even accept a repair gig from an individual so I'd rather pay 200-300 more for big ticket items knowing that I can just walk into the offices of CRK here in Adelaide and hand over my gear and they'll do the right thing by me.

MyCameraFocus in WA deals in 'genuine' and parallel imports and some of their prices are better than the Asian prices floating around the ether and they have their own tech's I believe (to cover warranty). But for Pentax stuff there's really only one way to buy here now and that's the Pentax Australia Online Store... not everything is prices right just yet but I have heard they are getting to it.
04-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You could always ask CRK if they'll price match?
It's been done before.
04-06-2013, 05:30 AM   #25
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm waiting on Pentax Australia to give me a price match on the K-5 IIs that DWI are offering for $950
04-06-2013, 05:58 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I'm waiting on Pentax Australia to give me a price match on the K-5 IIs that DWI are offering for $950
Once they add in the shipping that will take it over a grand and then they'll add GST (and maybe duty)... ..so, unfortunately, I can't see them doing that.
04-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hard to say really, especially considering the bee in CRKs bonnet with companies like DWI.
04-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Some bad reports about DWI refusing to honor warranty repairs, such as this one, on whirlpool: DWI refused to honor warranty on my lens - SLR gear - Photography

If I buy something from a grey importer, I do it with the forewarned possibiity of not getting any warranty support at all! I've also heard that these HK grey importers send you refurbished/return stock.
04-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Once they add in the shipping that will take it over a grand and then they'll add GST (and maybe duty)... ..so, unfortunately, I can't see them doing that.
Photographic gear = no duty. So GST + customs processing charge of $48.85.
04-07-2013, 02:03 AM   #30
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Anyone here buy from DWI? Good product? Bad product? Warranty experience?