Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ash,
As I said in my earlier post, I have purchased a couple of lenses and few filters from DWI.
Cannot complain about the service - delivered within 5 days (from their Hong Kong store).
Never had any warranty claims, so I cannot comment on that part.
You have to register as a member on their web site, and they accept Paypal payments (the only way that I would pay online for anything).

04-07-2013, 02:54 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Some bad reports about DWI refusing to honor warranty repairs, such as this one, on whirlpool: DWI refused to honor warranty on my lens - SLR gear - Photography

If I buy something from a grey importer, I do it with the forewarned possibiity of not getting any warranty support at all! I've also heard that these HK grey importers send you refurbished/return stock.
MyCameraFocus in Western Australia are an actual shop I believe.. they have a technician as well. If I buy grey I'll buy from them and/or eGlobal.

PS: I believe that eGlobal are 'owned' by DWI.
04-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #33
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Vlad. I hope to get the same experience, but the risk is greater with cameras - more can go wrong.
04-07-2013, 03:13 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
MyCameraFocus in Western Australia are an actual shop I believe.. they have a technician as well. If I buy grey I'll buy from them and/or eGlobal.

PS: I believe that eGlobal are 'owned' by DWI.
Never heard of those guys before - nice find.
Perhaps a consolidated Aussie online retailer list might be worth while?

04-07-2013, 03:31 AM   #35
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that was tried before in an old thread some years ago. But I just can't remember what the thread was called.
04-07-2013, 03:33 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you find it, bung a link up here. I'm happy to go thru it and review it
04-07-2013, 03:45 AM   #37
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good one. I'll see what I can fish out.

04-07-2013, 03:59 AM   #38
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These weren't the thread I was thinking of, but they do include a number of Aussie retailers discussed over their prices and deals:

1. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/65534-australian-retai...ng-pentax.html

2. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/106302-where-d...ew-lenses.html, which goes into Ryda and Vanbar as the most competitive retailers

3. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/146549-price-matching-aussie.html, specifically for the K-5
04-07-2013, 04:14 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Ash - I can second VladM's experience in terms of Lens/Misc stuff. I haven't personally gotten a body through them, but back when the 'bag out Aus retailers for "gouging" customers whingefest' was in full swing, a few peeps here on PF got K-5 bodies from them and I never saw any follow up complaints. I even recall someone had the old String-of-Pearls issue and had it sorted out... And I know a few others around the place that have taken the leap and gotten bodies from them, with the usual rate of pentax hit-n-miss on stuff (I recall at least one had a lens release button issue that they self-repaired anyway...).

I'm considering a K-5 IIs at the moment, and was looking at DWI myself.

But Digital Camera Warehouse are worth contacting - they are an actual Bricks & Mortar store and can often be persuaded to price match or at least expand the offering to near-price match.. throw in a Lowepro or a reasonable priced lens etc.. And if you contact CRK privately, and are reasonable in your negotations, they can often be persuaded to come damn close to the price as long as you aren't trying to break their arm using low-ball fly-by-nighters as a base of negotiations
04-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #40
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the input Adrian. I'll be looking to see if DCW will price match but I gather postage to remote areas will be the sticking point. I still await CRK's response to DWI's offer on the K-5 IIs.
04-07-2013, 04:28 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Thanks for the input Adrian. I'll be looking to see if DCW will price match but I gather postage to remote areas will be the sticking point. I still await CRK's response to DWI's offer on the K-5 IIs.
If freight is the only sticking point, I can probably alleviate that for you. I'm in Canberra and have family in Melbourne (where DCW have stores) and Brisbane... so would be happy to sort something out with you. You've been around these parts long enough I know you wouldn't stiff me... PM me if you get a reasonable price besides freight and we can go from there...
04-07-2013, 04:36 AM   #42
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I appreciate your offer. It's not a deal-breaker for me personally. Probably one that I was thinking DCW would balk at. But I'll look into it some more during the week and make the decision on the retailer offering a competitive price but also one who is known for their reputation. If DWI meet this for big ticket items then I probably don't have to look any further.
04-07-2013, 04:58 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey guys - I've added an initial spreadsheet and form to OP.
Ive never used 'pubic' Google Doc spreadsheets before tho - so I *think* I have it right....
04-07-2013, 05:04 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I purchased my K-5 body from eGlobal last year. About two months in it developed a shutter issue, so I returned it to Hong Kong for their warranty repair. I was up for the cost of postage to Hong Kong, but knew that going in.
The repair did take a fair bit of time, like two+ months, and their communication response times were a bit patchy...but they did fix the camera and return it to me, original serial number. No ongoing issues with the camera. Not ideal service, but again, kind of guessed that would be the case going in and judged it worth the saving for me at the time.
Gotta say, some of the online prices from Pentax Australia for lenses look really good! Not all, but most, are pretty competitive, hey?
Cheers
Dean
04-07-2013, 05:14 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm pretty impressed with the new Pentax webstore as a whole, I gotta say. And by the time you factor in shipping (which out of the States these days, we're getting completely stooged) and the warranty risk on grey importers - it makes it even more attractive.