Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civano Quote
Sabino Canyon...There is a tram that takes you to the top of the paved road which can be handy for those pressed for time.
I'm looking at google maps. A mile or two on Upper N Sabino Canyon Rd and I see a rock formation near Sabino Creek, with a parking lot and restroom - sort of where I planned to go :-) Right now, I am getting over a swollen knee, so hiking is not high on my list unless it gets better in the next couple months.

Last edited by SpecialK; 12-15-2013 at 08:59 AM.
12-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #17

Here is a site with more information about Sabino Canyon. If you do end up taking the tram, you can take it both ways. If I recall correctly, there are two different tram tours, one goes up Sabino Canyon and the other goes up Bear Canyon. The area around the gift shop and parking lot is beautiful too though. The saguaros, chollas, cactuses and other plant and wildlife is interesting and fun to watch. I can't wait to see your pictures. I wasn't into photography when I lived there and I missed so many wonderful photo opportunities. Tucson and the surrounding desert truly is a beautiful place especially in the spring.

Sabino Canyon Tours at Sabino Canyon, Tucson, Arizona
12-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is a site with more information about Sabino Canyon.
Ah, I was just looking at it. :-) I was thinking "aerial tram" like near Palm Springs, which I did not see :-). I did not realize there was no car traffic...
12-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #19

Yes there is no car traffic beyond the visitor's parking lot. When I lived there it was definitely a place to take my visitors who weren't hikers or into the outdoors but really wanted a flavor of the desert.

12-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just gotta go to the Center for Creative Photography at the university. I spent hours there. Where else would you see a Mathew Brady photo printed by Ansel Adams?

M
12-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bob Harris is supposed to be putting together an Arizona photographers itinerary for me, ask him if he's got it done yet.
12-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes there is no car traffic beyond the visitor's parking lot. When I lived there it was definitely a place to take my visitors who weren't hikers or into the outdoors but really wanted a flavor of the desert.
I'm adding a day at the beginning which will give me time to see this, a couple Phoenix attractions, Bio Sphere II, Casa Grande national monument, a church on a missile site, and possibly the airplane boneyard - without risking speeding tickets.

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Just gotta go to the Center for Creative Photography at the university. I spent hours there. Where else would you see a Mathew Brady photo printed by Ansel Adams?
M
This looks interesting, but even with the extra day I may be pressed for time.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Bob Harris is supposed to be putting together an Arizona photographers itinerary for me, ask him if he's got it done yet.
I will.

03-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Egads - I leave tomorrow AM.

Packing light:
10-17 - gotta have it, especially for the dozen grave markers I plan to hunt down :-)
12-24 - probably the best vacation lens - neon sign boneyard allows only 1 lens/1 camera. This is for that.
17-70 - general walk-around for Tombstone.
Canon HS500 P&S - if the K-5/12-24 is (quite likely) too big for the Titan missile museum top-to-bottom tour. (They recommend a "small" camera due to tight spaces, ladders, etc). Same for the airplane boneyard - the military is a bit skittery of bigger stuff.

I was thinking of "really" going light with just the above stuff, but figured...

15 - air museum, downtown buildings.
21 - it's small, so it is going.
30 - musical instrument museum, mob museum.
40 - it's small, so it is going. Might use for Tucson from hill at night.
70 - it's small, so it is going. Might use for Tucson from hill at night.
70-200 - it is this or the 50-200 WR.
2nd K-5 for backup (that is why I have it, I guess). I don't like shooting 2 bodies at a time, though it is a possibility.
Dolica medium tripod for Tucson at night from hill, maybe some late afternoon missions.
Netbook for backup/viewing...

Last edited by SpecialK; 03-28-2014 at 06:12 PM.
03-29-2014, 02:59 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Enjoy, and post a lot of pictures when you get back!
03-31-2014, 06:40 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The musical instrument museum had incredible quantities of displays. Biosphere II was more interesting on the outside than the inside.

Off to Tombstone!
03-31-2014, 08:49 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Tombstone and a couple Spanish-type missions today - a bit of a drive...
Tomorrow is missiles and airplanes, with not much of drive, but a lot of walking.

At dinner last night, the waitress forgot the tortillas with my sizzlin' platter. I had to remind her when she finally appeared from the back. Then she did not bring the sour cream and pico de gallo, so I had the other guy bring it. These are not extras - they are included.

Tonight, at a different location, most of the meatballs on my spaghetti were cold. The waitress and manager were apologetic and did not charge me for the coffee.

My motel room still uses TVs from the 1950s, I think.
04-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Missile museum was in-depth and exhaustive. Pima air museum was good but I just hit the highlights as my feet and legs were fading - did not get to the boneyard.

Tomorrow is Mt Kitt observatory, Ajo, Gila Bend, Wickenburg, and overnight in Kingman - lot of driving :-(
04-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are reminding me of everything that I am living in the middle of and have not taken advantage of. I think I need to get over to the MIM for an afternoon of walking around and shooting interesting stuff. I can't wait to see what you have taken. I was looking at some landscapes from Sibno Canyon down in Tuscon a bit earlier in the evening, along with some shots from Mt. Lemon and Kitt Peak.

04-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Long day today...

On the road at 7:15AM headed to Mt Kitt observatory. Arrived about 9:15AM or so, mostly deserted, though they work at night. Windy misty cold...some blue sky/white clouds.

Next was Ajo,site of a huge pit mine, and a neat little local history museum.

Up through Gila Bend and Wickenburg, finally arriving in Kingman about 8:20PM. Got a snack at Mr.D's diner.

In the continuing restaurant saga, last night the waitress did not bring the cream with my coffee, so I waited...5 minutes or so, for her to return and take my order. After the salad and creamer arrived, I chugged down my now-warmish coffee, and added the cream and sugar to the cup that would mix nicely when she poured the next cup. She brought another cup, so I poured out the old one into the new one...it went smoothly after that.

Tonight, the greeter person sat me at a booth and told me Candy would take my order. Candy (actually about 60 year old Candace) brought my coffee (and creamer). She then left, and eventually seated another man, then attended to a previous couple, then served the man after me. She had not even taken my order...I guess the manager noticed me looking over my shoulder and nudged Candy toward me. She asked if I "wanted to add a soup or salad to that" and I said "yes, the caesar salad" and pointed to the listing. She said "soup or salad?" I said "caesar salad"...it went smoothly after that.

Oh, a cop pulled me over for "not exactly choosing a lane" as I pulled out of the motel on the way to Mr. D's, though he did not give me a ticket. No doubt I was checking my GPS, not concerned if there was one lane or two...

Las Vegas and Elton John tomorrow.
04-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Pretty good day though I was fearing I was going to run out of gas - the most miles on a tank I've ever driven...

Did the underwhelming Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay, then walked around Mandalay Bay, also underwhelming.

The Neon Museum was great. The guide was good-looking so she is in some shots :-)

I'm in the Quad which used to be the Imperial Palace (with the car collection on the roof). If I tripped going out the front door and stumbled across the street, I would fall onto the Colosseum at Caesars Palace - my destination for Elton John in about 15 miniutes. Last time I was 2 miles away and it took about 45 minutes - and a wrong turn - to drive up the Strip.

I'm back. Just like the atom bomb on Hiroshima - results better than expected -) Should have a lot of good images (haven't reviewed them except on the LCD), and got on stage at the end and shot a good video though you can't take video or audio, and shook about 2 of Elton's fingers at the very end...