Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Southern Arizona photo ideas?

I'm thinking of going to Tombstone, AZ in early April, then Las Vegas, Nevada, or vice versa. It's a fairly long drive between them, so I am wondering if there are any photogenic areas/things I should try to get to along the way? I've already done N Arizona several times, so I am interested mainly in Phoenix and southerly.

Last edited by SpecialK; 12-14-2013 at 04:27 PM.
12-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I lived in Sierra Vista for a while, and southern Arizona is a beautiful part of the state, and April is good time of year to go visit, depending on the weather the desert should be starting to bloom. Get up early to catch the sun rise as often as possible, but in April even the midday light is not too bright and harsh, so you can shoot throughout the day. MOst of the places below are less than 1.5 hours from Tombstone, IIRC.
The Desert Museum outside of Tucson is a great place to go in the late afternoon, check the hours, because if it stays open late you can hang out and get some great night shots, and see scorions under UV lights glowing green. Tucson itself offer a lot of picture ops in the old town with the Spanish influneced architecture. The Pima Air Musuem & the aircraft boneyard east of Tucson are fantastic if you like aircraft and history, , Kartchner Caverns north of FT Huachuca is privately owned and open to the public, very impressive. Carr Peak is south of Ft Huachuca might still have snow on it, the view on a clear day is amazing. Bisbee, AZ, is a cool little town any time of year, lots of hippie/artist types and a huge copper mining pit nearby. Coronado National Park offers some easy hikes, with tufa rock formations that you won't see too many other places.
The Huachuca range gets some awesome rainclouds and lightning storms, so check the weather position yourself east of there and wait for the show.
12-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #3

Definitely the Air and Space Museum and boneyard outside Tuscon...
The Desert Museum is good too...
Saguaro National Park...
Kitt Peak National Observatory...
Green Valley Titan Missile Museum... (get in on the "top to bottom" tour if you can)
Tumacacori National Historic Park south of Tucson....

FWIW, a few snaps from our last trip to Tucson are here....

Tucson - a set on Flickr
12-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know much about the area, but check out:
- Saguaro National Park in Tucson (we did Saguaro National Park West and so cannot vouch for East)
- Pima Air and Space Museum (you'll love it - large collection and amazing variety)
- Davis Monthan AMARG (boneyard). Bus tour. Worth seeing at least once in your life.

Also:
- Titan Missile Silo
- San Xavier del Bac mission.

12-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@CP140
@robgski

Thanks for the suggestions!

I started roughing up a list earlier, using my main vacation planner, Google earth, because it has the photos at interesting places.

The Pima air museum and Titan missile museum ares on my list as is Tumacacori National Historic Park, and the old service station at 4th and N Stone in Tucson :-)
I will check out some of the other noted places. The hard part is determined both the travel times and on-location times...

So far, all I know for sure is non-refundably expensive Elton John at 7:30PM in Las Vegas. April 3 :-)
12-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is also Tonto National Monument that is east of Phoenix. I just heard last week that the upper ruins are closed (may be open by April), however the lower ones are open. There are a coupe of ways to get there, called the Apache Trail (dirt and gravel road for about 80 miles) - that is also worth taking. It goes by a couple of dams and lakes.

There is also the Boyce Thompson Arboretum State Park, Lost Dutchman State Park, Tonto Natural Bridge

12-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CP140 Quote
Green Valley Titan Missile Museum... (get in on the "top to bottom" tour if you can)
I've emailed them for a reservation...only $79.99

12-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Sabino Canyon (NE corner of Tucson)
I hear tell there's nice scenery on the college campus too :-)

Jim
12-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #9

In addition to the places mentioned, If you like rock formations and hiking, Chiricahua National Monument is amazing. Madera Canyon also has a variety of birds, wildlife and is just beautiful.
12-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I've emailed them for a reservation...only $79.99
Yeah, but you get to see every level of the silo from just beneath the concrete cap at the top to the blast deflectors and drain sumps below the engines.

It really is quite informative and fascinating... It's also a small group tour, hard hats and all, that looks at everything from the standby generator to the crew quarters to the nozzles for the water deluge sound suppression to the explosive bolts that hold the missile in the launch cradle.
12-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Sabino Canyon (NE corner of Tucson)
Jim
I might actually get to that in the late afternoon, if there is time after Tombstone and 2 missions...

QuoteOriginally posted by civano Quote
Chiricahua National Monument is amazing.
Camped there when I was about 7. I only remember it being very warm, lots of trees, and shooting a fancy slingshot. It's way down in the corner, so I will probably not get to it this time.

QuoteOriginally posted by CP140 Quote
Yeah, but you get to see...drain sumps...nozzles...bolts...
I'm stoked! I hope I can get a reservation.

Last edited by SpecialK; 03-25-2014 at 06:23 PM.
12-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I appreciate everyone's help.

I have finessed it about a well as I can or want to.

Sunday Long Beach CA --> Coachella (grave marker) --> Quartzite (grave marker) --> Phoenix area (grave markers) (bldg @ 4th/N Stone)--> Tucson AZ overnight. (I decided to push on though to Tucson in one day rather than have a 3-hour drive in the morning from Phoenix. One of my photo sub-hobbies is grave markers of the famous and almost-famous.)

Monday Tucson --> Tombstone --> Tumacacori Mission --> San Xavier del Bac Mission --> Sabino Canyon, time permitting --> Tucson overnight.

Tuesday Tucson -> Titan Missile TTB Tour --> Pima Air Museum (Boneyard) --> Tucson overnight. Yay - I'm in the 5-hour missile tour. They recommend only one lens, so 12-24 it is and if possible an external flash to reach over the hood. If I can't get on the boneyard bus, I will try for first thing in the morning, perhaps.

Wednesday Tucson --> (Boneyard, perhaps) --> Kitt Peak Obs --> Ajo --> Phoenix --> Kingman Overnight. The Organ Pipe Cactus National monument is a bit out of the way to the south, so I'm passing on it. Other than eating at Mr. D's restaurant (a Route 66 landmark), I have no plans for Kingman other than a shower and sleeping :-)

Thursday Kingman AZ --> Hoover Dam/Bridge --> Las Vegas NV (Liberace museum - seems to be closed due to the economy) (Pinball museum)(neon museum?)(shark reef aquarium) Caesars Palace architecture, Elton John. Overnight. Been to the dam and the viewing area before, but it breaks up the drive so I plan on stopping. Never been to the mentioned museums, so I may kill time there. The Quad, where I'm staying, used to be the Imperial Palace and it has a huge car collection upstairs. I might do that again. An afternoon walk on the strip and around Caesars Palace, with a return to the Colosseum in the evening for Elton John. Last time, I got stuck in Friday-night Strip traffic and it took 45 minutes to go a mile or two.

I'm still up for suggestions, though.

Last edited by SpecialK; 12-14-2013 at 06:36 PM.
12-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, inside of the Imperial Palace is the Auto Collection. If you like cars, maybe check it out? Admission is $2 I think, but all four times I went I never paid because I had a coupon from their website that gets you in free of charge (One FREE Ticket - Redeem at The Auto Collections).

The Auto Collections - Las Vegas, Nevada
12-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kcmadr Quote
Well, inside of the Imperial Palace is the Auto Collection.
Yep. I went there last time for free as well. The Imperial Palace is now the Quad.
12-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #15

I hope you do make it to Sabino Canyon. It truly is a beautiful place to go. I used to go walking on the paved trails and hiking there quite frequently when I lived in Tucson. There is a tram that takes you to the top of the paved road which can be handy for those pressed for time.