icy

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The formula sounds too mathematical

Please someone likes my post!

02-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
[SIZE=4]Your activity score = L + P[/B], where L is the number of users who have liked your posts on 2/24, and P is the number of forum posts you made on 2/24 (contest time). L cannot exceed P. P cannot exceed 20 + 5L.
Does "5L" mean that each Like has a 5x multiplier for 5 points?
02-22-2014, 10:00 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Does "5L" mean that each Like has a 5x multiplier for 5 points?
I'm at work, but I can explain it, complete with break points. You'll have to wait until I get everybody tucked in for the night. Unless someone else comes along with the full explanation.
02-22-2014, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #19
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Is the forum really lacking in posting activity that it needs posting/likes contests like these?
No, but the contest has brought out a lot of users from being lurkers to active posters. Sure, there has been a lot of trivial posting, but there has also been a lot more discussion and picture posting from a wider group of people. I'd call that a success.

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I would like to see a contest based only on "likes". Anybody can churn out posts, but you really have to earn "likes", usually by being especially helpful and/or funny. It is perhaps the best indication of how much an individual contributes to the community here.
Likes are given for all sorts of reasons. At one stage, when the caption contest has a new entry every 3 days, I worried that it was distorting the likes for trivial posts rather than highlighting users who had made valuable contributions. So if anything, this contest has balanced things out a bit.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
e Pentax DA 50mm F1.8 lens as a grand prize (brand-new, boxed lens).
Nice prize - but who doesn't have one (ten) (fifty) 50 mm lenses in their kit - especially if you lump in the 55 and 58 mm variants. If I win on Monday, it's because I'm gunning for another rocket blower for my collection from the monthly contest prize pool.

02-22-2014, 11:04 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
Easy........ Use the formula to take out the opposition if they have more likes than posts
02-22-2014, 11:41 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Bonjour,

In case you have never thought about this one, PF members in the Western Hemisphere have a rather large competitive advantage in this contest since its "24 hour time clock" is centered around US Mountain Standard Time zone, I believe. (GMT-6)

I will definitely be in bed during the "peak hours" of activity on Monday for the forum (in the US where it is based) and especially in the end hours of the contest when it starts to play itself out.

That's really no problem for me, just the reality of the situation. I am not going to whine about the fact that due to living in the Eastern Hemisphere (France) there are fewer PF members to interact with during my waking hours and that we cannot interact with majority of the PF members in the Western Hemisphere because they are still in bed and have not woke up, etc. and then those members will be off to work in their mornings/afternoons and not posting until Monday evening when we Easterners are all sleeping ... etc., etc.

Such is life and I will compete for the fun of it as always ... it's not like I desperately need another Pentax lens (especially a 50mm, but an AF one would be nice ) ... Ladies and gentlemen, to your "posting" starting blocks and good luck to all.

Salut, J
02-23-2014, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Note to self - don't let dansamy, manishved, Boris_Akunin, mikemike, Racer X 69, j2photos, MSL, pearsaab, zztopd, ramseybuckeye, savoche, Kerrowdown or Jean Poitiers enter.

Then I'll start to have a chance!!

---------- Post added 02-23-14 at 07:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour,

In case you have never thought about this one, PF members in the Western Hemisphere have a rather large competitive advantage in this contest since its "24 hour time clock" is centered around US Mountain Standard Time zone, I believe. (GMT-6)

I will definitely be in bed during the "peak hours" of activity on Monday for the forum (in the US where it is based) and especially in the end hours of the contest when it starts to play itself out.

That's really no problem for me, just the reality of the situation. I am not going to whine about the fact that due to living in the Eastern Hemisphere (France) there are fewer PF members to interact with during my waking hours and that we cannot interact with majority of the PF members in the Western Hemisphere because they are still in bed and have not woke up, etc. and then those members will be off to work in their mornings/afternoons and not posting until Monday evening when we Easterners are all sleeping ... etc., etc.

Such is life and I will compete for the fun of it as always ... it's not like I desperately need another Pentax lens (especially a 50mm, but an AF one would be nice ) ... Ladies and gentlemen, to your "posting" starting blocks and good luck to all.

Salut, J
I agree, I mean my 'Monday' starts in less than 5 hours! I guess it's hard to be fair to everyone.

---------- Post added 02-23-14 at 07:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Nice prize - but who doesn't have one (ten) (fifty) 50 mm lenses in their kit - especially if you lump in the 55 and 58 mm variants. If I win on Monday, it's because I'm gunning for another rocket blower for my collection from the monthly contest prize pool.
Don't worry, MSL, there's a simple solution - OH and this applies to everyone in MSL's situation - just don't post and let me, who doesn't have many lenses, win. Easy!

02-23-2014, 01:50 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ausmoose Quote
Note to self - don't let dansamy, manishved, Boris_Akunin, mikemike, Racer X 69, j2photos, MSL, pearsaab, zztopd, ramseybuckeye, savoche, Kerrowdown or Jean Poitiers enter.

Then I'll start to have a chance!!

---------- Post added 02-23-14 at 07:23 PM ----------

I agree, I mean my 'Monday' starts in less than 5 hours! I guess it's hard to be fair to everyone. ...
... I agree with most of your list, except for that last named crazy "Frenchman" ... and "oui", it's not possible to be fair to all, especially when this is a truly active international forum. (Comment hoping to please Adam and the powers to be ... ) J
02-23-2014, 02:07 AM   #24

Another one

Whatever, I know I don't....?
02-23-2014, 02:11 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Bonjour,

Salut, J
Agreed, I'm in th UK so my time zone is way out for forums normal 'working' hours so I'm out. Not moaning though as I have a F 50/1.7 in the post heading my way! Good luck everybody
02-23-2014, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #26
Forum Member

omg, here we go again....
02-23-2014, 02:22 AM - 2 Likes   #27
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
It's a great offer of a free lens, I don't know of any other places that do that... Pentax Forum Rules.

I'm in the very lucky position that I really have enough kit, so it's good luck to all those after this prize
02-23-2014, 02:27 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth Quote
Agreed, I'm in th UK so my time zone is way out for forums normal 'working' hours so I'm out. Not moaning though as I have a F 50/1.7 in the post heading my way! Good luck everybody
I agree, I compete for fun...
02-23-2014, 02:33 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by guus giesbergen Quote
omg, here we go again....
Ah oui ... the "Post-a-thon Sprint Day" !!! On your marks, get ready, ... wait for it ... now, wait for it ... (go)

---------- Post added 02-23-14 at 10:35 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
It's a great offer of a free lens, I don't know of any other places that do that... Pentax Forum Rules.

I'm in the very lucky position that I really have enough kit, so it's good luck to all those after this prize
Agreed, enough kit for me, too ... I will "play", but not really to win ... if it happens, it happens. Good luck to everyone ... J
02-23-2014, 03:50 AM   #30
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
but not really to win ... if it happens
Donate the prize to someone else, who could use or need it then.
Closed Thread