Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Italy trip, need your advice

I am heading to Italy late April to early May, a total of 7 days in two cities, Roma and Firenze. It will be my first time in Italy. Below are my questions, if anyone could give me some advice?
  1. how many GB should I carry with me?
    I plan to have 32GB with K-5 and another 32GB with K-01. then do file transfer to two small tablets which have around 40 GB of free space in total + another 16GB on a thumb drive.
    Total, I should have around 120GB. Is it enough? I will shoot in RAW, few video, but mainly image.
  2. Any file manager apps recommend for iTouch?
    I want to be able to copy file from SD card to iTouch via SD card reader. On android, it quite simple, but I have never done it on iOS without using a computer, and this trip I will not carry a laptop with me.
  3. how is weather in Rome and Firenze during Apr 26 - May 4?
  4. lens selection, well.. I do not have many lens to begin with. I only have DA15, F28, FA35 and 100WR.
    I think I will have the 15 and 28 with me. should I take 100 with me too? Anyone think I should take 35 instead of 28?
  5. Should I be worried about earthquake in Italy? I hope not.
    the reason I ask because it is shaking right now while I am typing .
  6. any good tip and recommendation, please add in.
Thank you in advance.

03-29-2014, 11:05 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I recently spent two weeks in Italy, had a blast, shooting every day and used less than 80 gb. Shot in raw, no video. But I also had plenty of extra cards on hand just in case.

I don't have any experience with iTouch but have used the Mobi Wi-Fi cards successfully. They send images to your device wirelessly if you can't wait to get home to start sharing.

As for weather, it can't be that hard to look up average temperature and precipitation history online, if you're that worried about it. Earthquakes... seriously? How often do those happen and how would you prepare for one anyway?

You're taking both cameras? In that case put a standard zoom on the k5 and take the 15mm and 100mm primes for the K-01. That will give you lots of options without having to change lenses all the time. The 28 is pretty close to the 35 and if it's raining, you'll be glad you have the weather sealed kit lens on a weather sealed camera covering both those focal lengths and more.

I'd just take one camera (and several lenses) but that's me, I prefer to travel light and fast..
03-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

When faced with a similar problem I resolved it by buying a high-quality bridge camera, which at the time was a Canon S3IS. No messing about with lens choice; small, light convenient and I didn't care too much if something happened to it. It was a Canon after all
03-30-2014, 07:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

When you shoot with primes, having two cameras is really handy, plus you will have a backup camera if something happens. You'll also have an extra battery, since they are interchangeable, and the K-01 body is relatively compact and light. I.e. defintely both bodies IMO.

I would bring the 15, the 35 and the 100. The extra stop on the 35mm is useful, and the 28/35 is close enough that you probably will not miss it. Can't imagine not having a tele with me, so defintely the 100 too. Get a small bag (I like back packs) that can carry the extra camera and lens, plus a few other things like water etc.

You probably have enough storage. Unless you do a lot of high speed shooting, or a LOT of bracketing, you are probably find. In a pinch you can switch to JPG and/or do some purging. Having said that I always end up bringing extra

Enjoy your trip!

04-01-2014, 11:24 PM   #5

Hi,
I think you'll really enjoy that.
Here are my advices:
Storage) bring as much as you can and keep a spare sd card as well. This won't kill your budget. Im not generally happy with file transfer otg, so even if i copy everything on a fly drive, i keep the sd card copy as well until the safe backup has been done. I have 8x16gb card + 2×32.
Weather) it will be stunning and you'll find yourself taking the same picture at dusk and down and noon... anyway k5 won't have problem. Earthquakes won't hurt.
Gear) I would not leave any lens home you'll need them all and the saving in term of space is negligible; maybe I'll use one gear only (except if the second one is for you partner). A light tripod ir recommended, since night shot are a must. I would recommend a sling bag as well to be kept always on. Italy is not the safest place and robbery may happen. This will hurt more than earthquakes.
Once in Rome, plan an early mornig and late afternoon visit visit to the Giardino degli Aranci as well as Piazzale Michelangelo in Florence and enjoy your 15mm.
Enjoy yor trip.
Alessandro
04-02-2014, 04:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Many good advice here. thank you very much.
I will probably give up trying to offline connect my iTouch with another devices, but will take more 32GB card with me on the trip.
04-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One more question here:
as "alessandro.k5" mentioned about night shot, and early morning.
Now I am planing to do so, any places you guys can recommend (to go / not to go) for such walk in Roma and Firenze?

04-11-2014, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

More memory cards than you think you need.
By iTouch, you mean iPod Touch? Using something like EyeFi will work, but be slow. I would do backups when you get back at the hotel and not expect it to work while you're out and about. (slow and eats lots of batteries).

Unless you're there to take images you want to sell as prints over 20" wide, my personal choice of lenses is an 18-135mm and the DA* 16-50. I almost always left the 18-135 on, and the 16-50m was good for night shots up close or inside buildings where it would benefit form the f2.8.
Of course, I was on one of those whirlwind tours, we carried everything in one bag and walked from morning to night. We felt every ounce we carried by evening.
Take what you feel you can carry for the day or the week.

One tip... look out for "cardboard kids". I never heard of them before I went to Italy, but kids will come up with a large sheet of cardboard. They block your arms while kids come from the back and pick-pocket you. I saw several in Rome, but always walked to the other side of the street.
As with any big city, keep your wits about you. Another reason to not carry enormous loads of camera gear.
04-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know what connector your iPod has but I use this kit from Apple with my iPad

Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit - Apple Store (Australia)
04-12-2014, 07:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@amoringello, yes, iPod Touch, and thank you a lot for the heads-up on "cardboard kid" .
@p38arover, I will check it out. thanks

Last edited by pakinjapan; 04-12-2014 at 07:19 AM.
04-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you will definitely need fast wide lens for narrow streets , 17mm or 10mm or 8mm
I would not worry about earthquakes much in Italy, just enjoy your time , Japan, New Zealand or California are much more on my mind while visiting them
05-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just came back from the trip this morning. Answering my own questions in-case it might help another people.
  1. How many GB…,
    Not sure yet, I guess it was around 80 GB for 7 days-trip. 70-75 % of that was used in Roam + Vatican.
  2. File manager for iTouch,
    I gave up on the iOS. Since I already have OTG connector that work with Nexus, I use only Nexus 7 to transfer file to usb thumb-drives and dropbox at the end of each day. It works very well.
  3. Weather,
    Many website said end of April to May will mostly warm dry, but in fact it was raining every day, lol. Anyway the rain wasn’t that bad. It rather interesting to me. Some time it rain a few minutes then switch to nice sunshine and switch back to rain again 2-3 times in a single day. Anyway, I wish Pentax add wr to its limited prime.
  4. Lens selection,
    I only use one prime a day, switching between DA15 and F28 depend on where I go for that day. Too lazy to carry and change lenses outside. In most museums in Roam, I always use DA15 + 1/10 to 1/30 shutter speed at iso 100 to 800. It handles low light museum shooting very well.
  5. Earthquake,
    as many mention to not worry about it, no earthquake in Italy during my trip. However it was a magnitude 6 quake and the center was very close to Tokyo less than two hours before I land at the airport this morning!
  6. Tips,
    tip1: if you stay in the cities more than 3 days, get the RomaPass (32 €) and or Firenze Card (72 €). At first I thought they are overpriced especially Firenze Card, but when I see the lines? I think it is a good decision getting the two cards. b/c not only I get free and or discount access but I can also skip the line.
    tip2: offline google map is a must! save every place you want to go to your map and make sure you can use the map offline. turn on the GPS and it can helps save you a lot of time.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 05-05-2014 at 07:30 AM.