Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2014, 12:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Coast-to-Coast Photo-Op Suggestions

Hi all,

My wife and I are taking a road trip from Oregon to New Hampshire and back. We'll be leaving in just over a week. I'm looking for suggestions of interesting places to stop & shoot along the way. It's been about 20 years since I've done this route, so I can't rely on my memory.

We're planning to head east on I-80 until somewhere in the midwest, where we'll drop down to I-70 to bypass Chicago and head into Amish country, then north into New England. We'll be there for about two weeks before returning.

The trip east doesn't afford much time for going far off the beaten path. We've scheduled six days - but the return trip is wide open.

What are your favorite places? The more unusual, the better. Thanks!

06-16-2014, 03:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Head over to the Apple App Store or the Google Play store and look up Stuck on Earth. It is from Trey Radcliffe and it links to photos from many sources mapped anywhere on earth. Gives you photos of what others have photographed along your route. It is a great resource.
06-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Head over to the Apple App Store or the Google Play store and look up Stuck on Earth
Thanks, Trev - great suggestion. Is there some trick I'm missing, though? The app is painfully slow and crashes often. It shows me a Google map that I can drag around, but only finds THREE photos in the entire U.S.A....
06-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I-70 is better scenery in Colorado and plenty of 19th C. abandoned construction still exists. !-80 is more scenic in Nebraska. I-70 is dead flat boring across Kansas and narrow and congested across Missouri (the Missouri stretch is the oldest section of Interstate highway in the country and hasn't been upgraded to modern standards yet).

You don't say whether you want to stop and photograph urban things such as the Gateway Arch in St. Louis.

One suggestion is to PM member Racer X 69 - who is curerntly a cross-country Wide-Load specialty freight hauler. he can certainly give you more advice than you really want.

06-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Thanks, Trev - great suggestion. Is there some trick I'm missing, though? The app is painfully slow and crashes often. It shows me a Google map that I can drag around, but only finds THREE photos in the entire U.S.A....
Zone in and more photo locations are loaded. Select a photo and then others within that location shown can be scrolled too. As for stability I can't comment as mine works fine on the iPad.

I zone into a nothing town I go to often and every photo I have geo tagged in Flickr shows up and that's lots. This is in Australia.

Let me know a location you are interested in and I'll check mine version.
06-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #6

If you come across MO on 70, then you have to stop and get a few pics in St. Louis of the Arch. The St Louis Transportation Museum is a great place to stop if you like to shoot trains, and you also have Grant's Farm witch is cool. And don't forget about the Anheuser-Busch St. Louis Brewery and free it's tours, there is some very cool stuff there. And if you don't mind a little side trip take state highway 79 north from O'Fallon to Hannibal. It's a section of the great river road and there are lots of good places to shoot the Mississippi river and then when you get to Hannibal you can hit up all the Mark Twain stuff. From there I would run over into IL on I-72 to Springfield for the Lincoln stuff and continue on to Decatur where I-72 turns back into US36 and either take that to IN or cut cross country back to I-70.