Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cuba Ho

We will be visiting Cuba - Varadero & Havana late August this year. We are visitors to Canada and have carried only 4-Lenses for the K-5: Pentax 18-135 WR, the F 1.7x AF Adapter, Tamron 17-50/2.8 and the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6.
We had a very bad experience in Europe with its narrow streets, tall spires, churches and sprawling buildings which the Pentax AF 20-35 f4 AL could not capture as it was not wide enough.
My Camera bag can carry the K-5 with lens + one extra lens along with the Flash + some Filters, the transfer cable, extra cards, batteries, lens brush, micro fiber cloth and an emergency polythene carry bag. I may be able to coax my wife to carry a lens in her hand bag.
Request the lens of choice considering the scene in Cuba.
My photographic interests are: street life, quaint houses, monuments, squares, markets, general travel shots, people, churches - inside and out, beaches & sunsets.
Any general advice pertaining to Cuba as a Photographer is welcome. Or something I must photograph.
Thanking my Pentaxian friends in advance.
Nanhi.
camp: Thornhill, Ontario.

07-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
Brooke Meyer

Wide, like your 10-20. DA 12-24 St Philips At Night

Plus the 17-50 with the 1.7x attached.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 07-30-2014 at 09:16 PM.
07-30-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

no experience in Varadero but spent week in Havana. Old Havana seems to be where most people shoot. Lots of old buildings in semi and complete ruins. Very narrow streets, not a lot of shops. Find the squares - there are 4 of them and that is where a lot of the nicer buildings are, including the major churches. At Parque Central, you can catch a double-decker bus for a guided 2 hour trip out to Revolutionary Square and the Old Cemetery among other things. Its a cheap ride - about $5 but only in convertible Pesos. There are stops along the way and you can get off and catch another bus later. Just make sure to get the transferable ticket. Change all the money you will need as other currencies are not accepted. About 75% of the cars are from pre-1960; some look great, some not so much. Not a lot of night shots to be had - street lights are at a premium. Never had a concern about being mugged, more a question of the hole I was going to fall into or the piece of falling concrete from a building or whatever came out of those pipes from under each balcony. At least during the day, you could see things. oh yes, at least one sunset along the Malencon which is the seaside starting from Old Havana and going west for 7 km. The fort "El Morro" from the Malencon at the base of El Prado.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M5  Photo 

Last edited by hsteeves; 07-30-2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: addition
07-31-2014, 02:05 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the narrow streets, your wide angle is going to be somewhat limited. Stitch, even with the 10-20 and put them into a pano when you get home. Stitching works incredibly well (in portrait orientation) even with a WA.