Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
New Social Group: Paddlin' Pentaxians (kayak/canoe related)

Hey all,

It may not seem like it but spring and summer will be on their way soon, and that means kayaking and canoeing. I wanted to start this club for those of us who partake in the sport for whatever reason whether it be for relaxation, exercise, etc... Think of it as a good way to show off your pictures that you take on your paddling outings, and as a possible resource for finding fellow paddlers that may be local to you for activity excursions in your area. It is also a good way to let others know about good paddling accessories/gear such as drybags, etc.

05-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My husband is almost done building me a wooden 15' kayak and I intend to spend a lot of time this summer out on the water. I recently purchased a well used k-10 and 18-55 WR lens specifically for use in the kayak..until I get used to the new boat i don't trust myself with my newer camera bodies and lenses. Hope to be posting many images from the water....I am in CT and we will mostly be doing lakes and rivers. Where are you located?
06-02-2015, 11:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pbancr Quote
My husband is almost done building me a wooden 15' kayak and I intend to spend a lot of time this summer out on the water. I recently purchased a well used k-10 and 18-55 WR lens specifically for use in the kayak..until I get used to the new boat i don't trust myself with my newer camera bodies and lenses. Hope to be posting many images from the water....I am in CT and we will mostly be doing lakes and rivers. Where are you located?
I'm in Southwestern PA. Sorry for the lack of response, I had forgotten to check it (and almost gave it up for lost since nobody had shown interest when I made it). I have yet to get my kayak out on the lake. It's either raining here, or the weather cools down again so the water doesn't warm up. I did however, just place the new launch permit stickers on the kayak yesterday and I am awaiting a new lens so that I can go out with a 2 lens setup.
06-03-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a photo of my first time out in the kayak my husband built. Future photos will be with a Pentax...this was just a waterproof Canon point n shoot...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot D10  Photo 
06-08-2015, 11:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice 'yak. I was thinking about taking my kayak out on wed.... that was until I got sick via a co-worker. Figures....
06-08-2015, 05:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

wow! nice boat!
06-09-2015, 06:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Nice 'yak. I was thinking about taking my kayak out on wed.... that was until I got sick via a co-worker. Figures....
Thanks. Looking forward to seeing your photos....

---------- Post added 06-09-15 at 09:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
wow! nice boat!
Thanks.

06-14-2015, 09:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, they're calling for t-showers all this week, so between that and my work sched. it looks like I'm not getting out anytime soon.
06-19-2015, 12:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Should be getting out on the lake today.
06-19-2015, 08:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Huzzah, I have spent over 6 hours on the water in my 'yak today. Didn't get many shots... many are the same/similar... most are blurry to some degree.. but I got out and shot on the kayak today. Sunny and overcast was the weather, with a fairly high humidity rating. Nice breeze, not nearly as bad as the winds they had called for.

Anyone have a clue what the heck this waterfowl is? It's not a heron, or a goose... or a duck. The end of its bill was raptorlike, and it had no qualms diving beneath the water.

One last look at the waterfowl as it swam away...

Sorry for the blur, I had the sigma 75-300mm DL on and didn't boost the iso so it shot at 1/15 of a sec... what with the porcupine and the kayak moving I'm surprised it turned out even this well.

Last shot of the day from the kayak before heading back to my launch point. I had been in the kayak for over 5.5 hrs at that point and needed a stretch. I really liked that sky for some reason.

Now I'm off to xpost these all over the forums.
06-20-2015, 04:51 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Huzzah, I have spent over 6 hours on the water in my 'yak today. Didn't get many shots... many are the same/similar... most are blurry to some degree.. but I got out and shot on the kayak today. Sunny and overcast was the weather, with a fairly high humidity rating. Nice breeze, not nearly as bad as the winds they had called for.

Anyone have a clue what the heck this waterfowl is? It's not a heron, or a goose... or a duck. The end of its bill was raptorlike, and it had no qualms diving beneath the water.

One last look at the waterfowl as it swam away...

Sorry for the blur, I had the sigma 75-300mm DL on and didn't boost the iso so it shot at 1/15 of a sec... what with the porcupine and the kayak moving I'm surprised it turned out even this well.

Last shot of the day from the kayak before heading back to my launch point. I had been in the kayak for over 5.5 hrs at that point and needed a stretch. I really liked that sky for some reason.

Now I'm off to xpost these all over the forums.
Looks like a successful paddle! Could the bird be some kind of cormorant? Good eye spotting the porcupine!
06-20-2015, 10:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like a successful paddle! Could the bird be some kind of cormorant? Good eye spotting the porcupine!
The porcupine stuck out like a sore thumb on the shoreline. I had a chance later in the day to get him again with better light, but he was on edge after some chipmunks spooked him so he wanted no part of my shenannigans a 2nd time and wandered off quickly. I have no clue as to the waterfowl.... I'm half tempted to call it a dodotross. I would have gone back out for more paddling after dropping off the camera equip. at the car, but since it was the first outing of the year I didn't quite have the stamina left.
06-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How do you carry the camera while you're out on the water? I'm going to be taking out the k10 or k30 and don't quite know how I will manage the camera...want it easily accessible....but relatively safe and dry...
06-20-2015, 07:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How do you carry the camera while you're out on the water? I'm going to be taking out the k10 or k30 and don't quite know how I will manage the camera...want it easily accessible....but relatively safe and dry...
I have an NCR 20L Dry bag and a small dry box. One lens mounted on cam, other lens in reserve in bag, small accessories in drybox inside drybag. I also keep another small drybag for my wallet/keys/phone, etc... Camera goes into the drybag between my legs and sealed while paddling, once I stop to take a picture or if I'm taking a break and drifting I'll take the camera out of the bag and remove the lenscap. I won't take it out if the boaters are zooming past me creating a large amount of wake or if there are a lot of squalls from the wind. Other than that, an inordinate amount of care and awareness, and I never let the camera body go past the confines of the kayak's cockpit lip, so if I were to drop it, chances are it would go into the cockpit and not into the water.

I have an 8' sundolphin aruba 8 ss sit-in recreational 'yak, so I'm very limited on space, comfort, and stability. This is my 3rd year on the waters of the lake, and I've learned how not to move/distribute weight, etc... to avoid tips, as well as what conditions get water in the cockpit and roughly how much, so I'm fairly aware of the things I have some form of control over.
06-22-2015, 05:49 PM   #15
Pentaxian

cool! good for you man....as ya been itching to get out on the water