Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2015, 10:36 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Toronto and Manitoulin island

My wife and I will be heading to Toronto and Manitoulin (and points in between) for 2 to 3 weeks and would like some suggestions for places to stay and things to do. We kind of like off the beaten path activities. There are so many cottages, hotels, and B&B's I don't even know where to start! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

03-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
My wife and I will be heading to Toronto and Manitoulin (and points in between) for 2 to 3 weeks and would like some suggestions for places to stay and things to do. We kind of like off the beaten path activities. There are so many cottages, hotels, and B&B's I don't even know where to start! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Look over this thread...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/290244-asking-pho...p-toronto.html

As for Manitoulin, if you're there on the August 1st weekend, the Wikwemikong Pow Wow is one of the best. I've only ever been on the island for a Pow Wow, and I rented a teepee for the occasion, so not much help with the rest of it.

Wikwemikong, Manitoulin Island
03-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Toronto Old town Holiday Inn is nice. It's not fancy, but the price is right and the location is great if you like the look of Old Town.
We have stayed there two years in a row.
Toronto Hotels: Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown Hotel in Toronto, Ontario

Last edited by UncleVanya; 03-10-2015 at 12:22 PM.
03-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #4

Are you going to go up via the Bruce Peninsula, taking the Chi-Cheemaun ferry to the Island? That would be spectacular. Schedule time to explore the peninsula. On your return trip it is worth doing the loop back through Sudbury (way more interesting than you can imagine, check out the Big Nickel Mine) and down Hwy 69 through the French River area, hitting Provincial parks like Killarney and Killbear. Awe-inspiring landscapes. At this point Algonquin Park is also within easy reach. I assume Norm could tell you more about that than I ever could.

It's been a while since I've visited the island. Get ready to slow right down; everyone is very relaxed. And friendly. Usual stops were Bridal Veil Falls (see the spawning salmon at the right time of year), Cup and Saucer trail, Gore Bay, Meldrum Bay. So much more, but the memory grows fuzzy. A grocer in Little Current sells a local map of the island that was well worth having. Just ask around for a copy of the "Turner Map" and any local will steer you in the right direction.

You might pop in on my old advisor who has retired on the Island: Manitoulin Natural History - Home. He could, and will, tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the area and much more.

03-10-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sinjin Quote
Are you going to go up via the Bruce Peninsula, taking the Chi-Cheemaun ferry to the Island? That would be spectacular. Schedule time to explore the peninsula. On your return trip it is worth doing the loop back through Sudbury (way more interesting than you can imagine, check out the Big Nickel Mine) and down Hwy 69 through the French River area, hitting Provincial parks like Killarney and Killbear. Awe-inspiring landscapes. At this point Algonquin Park is also within easy reach. I assume Norm could tell you more about that than I ever could.

It's been a while since I've visited the island. Get ready to slow right down; everyone is very relaxed. And friendly. Usual stops were Bridal Veil Falls (see the spawning salmon at the right time of year), Cup and Saucer trail, Gore Bay, Meldrum Bay. So much more, but the memory grows fuzzy. A grocer in Little Current sells a local map of the island that was well worth having. Just ask around for a copy of the "Turner Map" and any local will steer you in the right direction.

You might pop in on my old advisor who has retired on the Island: Manitoulin Natural History - Home. He could, and will, tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the area and much more.
Ya, what he said. ^

Killarney is along way in off the road but, the natural white quartz rocks are worth the drive. But like the sinjin, it's been almost 30 years since I've been up there, the memory goes, if only you'd asked me 30 years ago. But that circle drive is worth the trip. Also just north of Manitoulin on the Birch Island reserve is Dreamers Rock, a famous north American Indian fasting and pow wow site. At the band office they'll give you an hour permit to walk up meditate for a half hour and walk back. ( You have to give them 24 hours notice, someone has to go unlock the gate for you.) One of the few Native American fasting/meditation/vision quest sites still in use in NA. It's worth going up even if you don't plan to spend anytime meditating.

Last edited by normhead; 03-10-2015 at 12:27 PM.
03-10-2015, 08:47 PM   #6

Original Poster
Wow! Great responses already! Sinjin - our rout will be Niagara, Toronto, then north to Sudbury(with suggested / impulse stops along the way), down to Manitoulin, ferry to Bruce, then follow the coast South back to the states. Norm, we will definitely ck out Dreamers Rock. Thanks again for all the great suggestions guys. If there are any more ideas out there keep them coming!
03-11-2015, 06:49 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
Wow! Great responses already! Sinjin - our rout will be Niagara, Toronto, then north to Sudbury(with suggested / impulse stops along the way), down to Manitoulin, ferry to Bruce, then follow the coast South back to the states. Norm, we will definitely ck out Dreamers Rock. Thanks again for all the great suggestions guys. If there are any more ideas out there keep them coming!
Yep, that will be a trip to remember. I'm envious. Hopefully you'll share some photos here.

Have a great trip!
03-11-2015, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My 2 cents, it's a great place to visit.

If you enjoy hiking and biking, there are many wonderful trails to explore.

Check out the following biking site;

Home

One of my favourites for swimming is Providence Bay.

Enjoy your vacation!

03-11-2015, 07:41 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the link. I do love the water and am always amazed at the clarity you encounter with locations along the great lakes.