Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2015, 07:07 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Photography tours in Hawaii?

I'm fortunate enough to be going to Hawaii for work. It's only a short trip, however, and I can only manage an extra day or two to sightsee and take pictures. Since it's my first time to Hawaii, I want to find an efficient (yet inexpensive) way to see some sights. I ran across a photography tour company called Blue Hawaii, which has good reviews on TripAdvisor. Has anyone taken a tour with this company or another on Oahu? Any recommendations? I'm not sure if I'll have a rental car.

Thanks!
Kriss

03-29-2015, 07:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like a good way to get all the shots everyone else has taken. I think I would rather find them myself, being half the fun.
03-29-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I lived in Hawaii for about 4 or 5 years. When I get home I can give you more ideas...(I'm on my phone now)

But I would skip the tour company. Just rent a car. Depending on where you go and what you like you can spend years taking pictures there.

For me taking a tour isn't going to be the best option.
03-29-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The Arizona memorial at Pearl harbor, the Punchbowl (national cemetery of the Pacific), the Pali lookout (highway over the mountain behind Honolulu) Makapuu point (w of Diamondhead crater), Pipeline/Waiamea/north shore surf spots, and the west coast landscapes.

03-29-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
Sounds like a good way to get all the shots everyone else has taken. I think I would rather find them myself, being half the fun.
I agree, Rimfiredude, but I don't want to spend my time getting lost.
03-29-2015, 01:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Here is something kinda cool for you to look at while you are planning.

Sean Davey Exclusive Interview - Photography | PentaxForums.com

Tell me though, what kind of things do you want to shoot? The tourists usually run around and shoot pictures of Waikiki and your general tourist destinations. The locals get up really early and get in and out of places before the crowds arrive. Also shooting at 'events' is a big deal. By events I mean anything from the surf coming up to a contest to whatever.

For the best results plan on getting up really early (like before the sun comes up) and shooting into the late evenings. Make note on where on the island you are and pay special attention to shadows and how they will move. Use the middle of the day to relax, chill out, and maybe while you are doing other stuff scout out locations. Not saying you can't get good shots during the day, but it all depends on what you are shooting.

---------- Post added 03-29-15 at 03:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kriss Quote
Once you get out of Honolulu it's pretty easy to navigate. There is one road. You either go left or right. Both lead back to Honolulu.
03-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kriss Quote
The islands are not that big.

04-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The Arizona memorial at Pearl harbor, the Punchbowl (national cemetery of the Pacific), the Pali lookout (highway over the mountain behind Honolulu) Makapuu point (w of Diamondhead crater), Pipeline/Waiamea/north shore surf spots, and the west coast landscapes.
Thanks! I'll look into those.

---------- Post added 04-02-15 at 07:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Here is something kinda cool for you to look at while you are planning.

Sean Davey Exclusive Interview - Photography | PentaxForums.com

Tell me though, what kind of things do you want to shoot? The tourists usually run around and shoot pictures of Waikiki and your general tourist destinations. The locals get up really early and get in and out of places before the crowds arrive. Also shooting at 'events' is a big deal. By events I mean anything from the surf coming up to a contest to whatever.

For the best results plan on getting up really early (like before the sun comes up) and shooting into the late evenings. Make note on where on the island you are and pay special attention to shadows and how they will move. Use the middle of the day to relax, chill out, and maybe while you are doing other stuff scout out locations. Not saying you can't get good shots during the day, but it all depends on what you are shooting.

---------- Post added 03-29-15 at 03:08 PM ----------

Once you get out of Honolulu it's pretty easy to navigate. There is one road. You either go left or right. Both lead back to Honolulu.
Thanks, alamo5000, for the tips. I normally shoot landscape and architecture...and do like to try to find different types of shots at the beach. I don't plan on limiting my shots on this trip, however (even though my free time will be brief). I'll probably experiment with a lot of different types of shots.

I usually like to sleep in when I'm not working (I normally get up at 3 a.m.!) but I think I'll pass on the extra sleep to take advantage of my time there. I anticipate going back again (maybe with my husband next time) so will probably save a lot of the touristy stuff for then (e.g., Pearl Harbor). I'll only be on Oahu.

Very cool article! Nice job! (I'm a writer as well.) Thanks for giving me the link......Sean's photos are fabulous. Maybe I should pass on my own pics, go to his studio to drool over his work, and buy a print or two.

Thanks for all of the info!
Kriss
04-02-2015, 06:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Kriss, if you have some free time I might be able to arrange for you to shoot with Sean for a couple hours. I don't know if it would be 'free' but he might go for it if I ask. I can ask if you want. I will see if he will do a 1 on 1 landscape workshop with you.

PM me if you think you would be interested.