Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2015, 07:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

taking a tripod abroad on a plane

taking a tripod abroad on a plane

never done this before... is it likely to be a problem? I can't see it being looked upon favourably.

05-04-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if it has the spikes i would not try to take it aboard, i always added it in the suitcase i dropped off.
05-04-2015, 07:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I always travel with a tripod strapped to my carry on / camera bag. Mind you it is fairly compact and I usually remove the ball head. But I never had any issues anywhere.
05-04-2015, 07:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
I always travel with a tripod strapped to my carry on / camera bag.
Ah that's what I hope I can do then.

Its very similar to this one:

05-04-2015, 07:35 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I traveled to costa rica with a 6 pound tripod with a large ball head attached and had no problems. I had it attached to my bag.
05-04-2015, 08:10 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have taken mine when ever I am on business travel. Just packed it in my carry on luggage, and there has never been a problem. US and Canada travel.

05-04-2015, 08:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
Its very similar to this one:
My tripod is a 3 Legged Thing Eddie. It is a compact travel tripod but it is no way compact at ~1.5kg (3.3lbs) and folded height of 42.5cm (16.75") and it has a pretty big girth. I'm sure that this manfrotto is smaller so it shouldn't be an issue.

Like anything, just don't be an idiot... Like having it dangling and unfolding and falling all over the place. Make sure it is secure and no one will care if it's there or not.

05-11-2015, 05:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
Photos: Gallery
Background, I travel around the northern hemisphere for months at a whack. My Sirui tripod is small enough to fit into my carry on. However, as I get more equipment it's moving to the outside of my Think Tank Airport International.

That said, I'm running into more cases of small domestics and major international airlines holding firm to the 7kg or 10kg carry on weight limit for carry on bags. Despite it being photography gear and not insured by the airline enough, they still demand it be checked in. As a work around, my main body and lenses ride on my waist via Think Tank Photo Digital Holster or a Think Tank Photo Change Up when used a s a belt pack.

Further, I'm starting to see more security checks actually have signage and videos saying "No Tripods". I think the latest was Macau and Calgary in the past month.

Wrapping up, there's probably no trouble with sticking the tripod into or securely on your carry on bag. However, free holding it might mean it's need to be checked.

Good luck and happy travels.
05-11-2015, 06:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Read the baggage terms and conditions for your airline.
06-21-2015, 01:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by comprock Quote
Background, I travel around the northern hemisphere for months at a whack. My Sirui tripod is small enough to fit into my carry on. However, as I get more equipment it's moving to the outside of my Think Tank Airport International.

That said, I'm running into more cases of small domestics and major international airlines holding firm to the 7kg or 10kg carry on weight limit for carry on bags. Despite it being photography gear and not insured by the airline enough, they still demand it be checked in. As a work around, my main body and lenses ride on my waist via Think Tank Photo Digital Holster or a Think Tank Photo Change Up when used a s a belt pack.

Further, I'm starting to see more security checks actually have signage and videos saying "No Tripods". I think the latest was Macau and Calgary in the past month.

Wrapping up, there's probably no trouble with sticking the tripod into or securely on your carry on bag. However, free holding it might mean it's need to be checked.

Good luck and happy travels.
The Calgary one must be new as did not see it last month. I had two or three tripods in my carry on bag early May.
06-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It up in the main bag, in the hold/not-carry-on ... no problems
10-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I put mine in a checked bag - I often get a tag saying the bag has been opened when I get to my destination. Maybe the tripod shows up on x-rays or metal detectors and looks suspicious, but I've never actually had any trouble. The camera gear in my carry-on baggage is heavy enough without the tripod.