Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2015, 05:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Outer Banks - What Lenses? ND Filter?

In a few weeks we'll be going to the Outer Banks for the first time, we'll be there about 4 days. Right now I'm planning to take these lenses:
DA 18-135 F/3.5-5.6 - The all around lens
Pentax SMCP-DA* 300 f/4 - Possible trips to wildlife ares
HD Pentax DA 15 f4 - It's the 15

I also have these lenses:
Pentax DA 35mm F2.4
Tamron SP AF 10-24mm f / 3.5-4.5 EDIT - NOT AVAILABLE
Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8
Cosmicar 28mm f2.8
Pentax-A 50mm f1.7

I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything, having not been there before. I'm not buying any lenses, so it has to be from this group. We are driving so I can probably sneak another lense or two in if needed. I will probably also take a tripod and maybe two bodies.

One thing I don't have is an ND filter, I will probably pick up a filter or two. 2x, 2x, 10x? I can see using these early morning, or late evening, maybe daylight?

I appreciate any thoughts here.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 05-16-2015 at 07:52 PM.
05-16-2015, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an ND8 works pretty well for smoothing water . Have you considered a CP filter?
05-16-2015, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep it simple, you don't want to be changing lenses in a sandy area.

I assume the 18-135 will be your "on the camera just in case" lens, it's got the most versatile range.

ND filter is not a bad idea, 10x, assuming it's a sunny day you'll want to be able to change apertures and shutter speeds instead of relying on f22.

I always bring polarizer anywhere there is water.

I'd leave the 300 at home and use the 70-210 for wildlife, unless you know you are going to sit in one spot where you can watch the wildlife congregate.

I like the 10-20 option, no better way to capture sea, sky, and a broad expanse of beach than with a 10mm
05-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I have an ND8 works pretty well for smoothing water . Have you considered a CP filter?
I didn't mention, but yes, I will be taking CP filters, thanks for the suggestions.
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Keep it simple, you don't want to be changing lenses in a sandy area.

I assume the 18-135 will be your "on the camera just in case" lens, it's got the most versatile range.

ND filter is not a bad idea, 10x, assuming it's a sunny day you'll want to be able to change apertures and shutter speeds instead of relying on f22.

I always bring polarizer anywhere there is water.

I'd leave the 300 at home and use the 70-210 for wildlife, unless you know you are going to sit in one spot where you can watch the wildlife congregate.

I like the 10-20 option, no better way to capture sea, sky, and a broad expanse of beach than with a 10mm
Yes, I definitely won't change lenses at a beach, nor in any wind there, which I assume is pretty constant. After reading your suggestion on the zoom, I realize that's a good idea, but also remembered that my oldest son will be taking that with him the day before we leave, he is taking a group of his History students to Europe, he took it last year and it was perfect in the narrow European streets, so that lens is out. Do you stack a polarizer with an ND filter? Thanks for the suggestions.

05-16-2015, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd stack a polarizer with an ND but I don't know any better and like yo throw out the rulebook. As I understand it, an ND is like a pair of sunglasses that restrict the amount of light, whereas a circular polarizer restricts light from a certain direction, that's why you can get a reflection off a window or water, then turn it 90 degress and see through the transparent surface to what is beyond. I swear by polarizers, I've only started using ND recently, but I like the options it gives in scenes that are too bright , and also with a dark ND filter it allows you to use a longer shutter speed to make a crowded beach or street appear almost empty, or to smooth out water and waves.
05-16-2015, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Do you stack a polarizer with an ND filter?
I never have ,but because mine are different sizes and I just got my step up adapters.

---------- Post added 05-16-15 at 08:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I'd stack a polarizer with an ND but I don't know any better and like yo throw out the rulebook. As I understand it, an ND is like a pair of sunglasses that restrict the amount of light, whereas a circular polarizer restricts light from a certain direction, that's why you can get a reflection off a window or water, then turn it 90 degress and see through the transparent surface to what is beyond. I swear by polarizers, I've only started using ND recently, but I like the options it gives in scenes that are too bright , and also with a dark ND filter it allows you to use a longer shutter speed to make a crowded beach or street appear almost empty, or to smooth out water and waves.
I read where others have combined them and seen shots taken combined. . I am hoping to be able to get some time to try it out myself in the near future.
As for the rule books I read everything .....but rule books
05-16-2015, 07:32 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Brooke Meyer

In a few weeks we'll be going to the Outer Banks for the first time, we'll be there about 4 days.

I appreciate any thoughts here.
Tripod, the 10-20 and the 70-200. Birds take time, so the the 300 is a maybe. Keep it simple.

Hatteras Light ( as long as there are no blockages on NC12) is always open. Pre dawn on the beach at Hatteras Point, the Park Rangers patrol but if they see you with a tripod, you're fine. You'll be alone and you'll need a flash light.

Where ever you are on OBX, take a half day and drive NC 12 to Hatteras, just to explore. Plan your shoots from that.

Figure on spending a full afternoon at Jockeys Ridge, walk the trails to the sound side, besides climbing the dunes. Osprey boxes there.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 11-05-2015 at 09:37 PM.
05-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Tripod, the 10-20 and the 70-200. Birds take time, so the the 300 is a maybe. Keep it simple.

Hatteras Light ( as long as there are no blockages on NC12) is always open. Pre dawn on the beach at Hatteras Point, the Park Rangers patrol but if they see you with a tripod, you're fine. You'll be alone and you'll need a flash light.

Where ever you are on OBX, take a half day and drive NC 12 to Hatteras, just to explore. Plan your shoots from that.

Figure on spending a full afternoon at Jockeys Ridge, walk the trails to the sound side, besides climbing the dunes. Osprey boxes there.
I didn't mention we are staying at Kill Devil Hills, it might be a stretch to get to Hatteras Light before dawn, it's over an hour away. No problem for me but not the rest of the party, I'll have to play it by ear and hope to try. Jockeys Ridge is pretty close. You probably missed the earlied post where the 10-24 is not available. Thanks for those tips and sharing those fantastic photos!
05-16-2015, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #9
Brooke Meyer

I didn't mention we are staying at Kill Devil Hills, it might be a stretch to get to Hatteras Light before dawn, it's over an hour away. No problem for me but not the rest of the party, I'll have to play it by ear and hope to try. Jockeys Ridge is pretty close. You probably missed the earlied post where the 10-24 is not available. Thanks for those tips and sharing those fantastic photos!
Just get up before everyone else, take the car and get some coffee at the 7-11 where you'll find guys buying boat gas & ice. Or just get up early and go out on the beach at KDH. Haven't been for awhile but this used to be there, was near the house we rented.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 11-05-2015 at 09:37 PM.
05-17-2015, 05:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brooke. Those are some really nice shots. you posted.
Tom. I look forward to seeing what you capture on your trip.
05-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote

these are beautiful. ill have to check that out. i live in charlotte. and still havent been to the banks! gotta grab that 16mm samyang!
05-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gorgeous shots, I need to go down the shore this year, Eastern Shore or Jersey shore most likely, hopefully Cape Cod after tourist season is over. I've been to Myrtle Beach and Brookgreen Gardens, but I still haven't made it to the Outer Banks.
05-18-2015, 01:30 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions!
05-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You definitely need to make the drive down to Hatteras before you leave and sunrise is the best time to be there. You should also check with the Rangers to see if any beach areas down there are closed due to turtle hatchings. I don't think it's this time of year but they do close beach areas for other reasons at random times as well.

I think you'll find the DA 15 and the Tamron 70 - 200 will be your most used lenses of the ones you have available to you.

And this time of year you might begin to run into a few humid days along with a lot of sun in your car, so if you use the air conditioning a lot make sure to let your camera warm up a little to avoid condensation. An old trick I use is to get one of those small, collapsible, insulated bags to keep your camera in. That also helps keep it cooler in the direct sun than a dark colored camera bag will and it helps protect your camera blowing sand when you aren't using it if you don't want to take all your gear out on to the beach area.