Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-08-2015, 03:18 PM   #1
Keebler

Photographing Moose in Alonquin Park?

Hi folks,

So I'm only a few hours from Algonquin Park and I've always wanted to spend some time snapping photos of moose (and any other animals).

I didn't go in the spring b/c our winter just never stopped so I'm not sure if I'm too late?

I know going in August wouldn't be smart because their 1st rut starts coming on and I really don't want to tangle with a rutting bull!

Thinking of taking part of a weekend and heading up ridiculously early in the morning so I get there for 1st light.

Just not sure where to go exactly. Plenty of places.

I live in Ottawa so I could take highway 62 from Pembroke or sneak in another way through Renfrew?

Any ideas would be great.

I did google and found a photography guide, but I'd like to try on my own 1st instead of paying b/c I'm like to be on my own time as I fiddle with settings etc..

I'm also thinking of bringing my ATV trailer and using it to camp in if I can find a place. Might even use the ATV to get deep where I can.

Don't worry, I have a thermacell and other means to fight back against our Canadian mosquitoes and horse/deer flies

Cheers,
Keebler

06-08-2015, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Talk to normhead (try a PM). He lives near Whitney and runs photo tours into the park, and best of all, he shoots Pentax. Rather than wait for you to fiddle with settings, he'll join you in fiddling and discuss what might work best.

He even has a social group entirely for Pentaxians shooting in Algonquin Park.

Seriously, I doubt there are many other photographers, much less Pentax-photographers, with his amount of experience and insight. He shoots pine martens, so moose won't be a problem!
06-08-2015, 05:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Norm is the man you need to talk to!
06-08-2015, 09:11 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unless you mean from a car, or a canoe in deep water--forget it. The moose is the most dangerous animal in the northeastern US (I meant US+Canada). Portaging and backpacking it is the only animal I worry about.

Last edited by dms; 06-08-2015 at 10:01 PM.
06-20-2015, 08:12 AM   #5
Keebler

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Unless you mean from a car, or a canoe in deep water--forget it. The moose is the most dangerous animal in the northeastern US (I meant US+Canada). Portaging and backpacking it is the only animal I worry about.
Thanks Panoguy & Paulh - I did see Norm's website and was curious about it.
I was hoping to go alone on a trip. Love the outdoors, but he may help consolidate a trip so I spend more time shooting then traveling (although I'd love the latter too

Dms, thanks for the feedback. I've been close to moose and they didn't do anything - I had 2 twin calves run to me and stop about 20 yards away. Mama was watching from behind in the distance. Their eyesight beyond 30 yds is awful. The only time the moose are dangerous is mid-to-late August, September and October when they're rutting. They are crazy angry that time of year. Other than that, they're pretty docile and patient. Especially after this winter, they'd be more hungry than anything. I should add that on highways at night is the other time they're dangerous because their eyes don't reflect like a deer so unless your headlights pick up shadows from the reflection of oncoming vehicles, moose are hard to spot.
06-20-2015, 09:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The best way to see moose is to get up early and drive the corridor. I Often see moose on weekenders, but i also often don't. For people who absolutely want to see wildlife on a trip, I recommend at least 6 days. And there has been once when even that didn't work out.

Unfortunately right now, I don't have any room on our only planned trip of the summer or I'd send you the date, but if you're going on your own, I'd be happy to offer suggestions as to where it might be good to go, or rent gear or whatever you might need. I don't rent boats out except to people on my own guided trips, but I know everyone who does. I've never had a problem with moose, but then, if you just stay away from them you're good. Getting within kicking range is a really bad idea. I've seen one kick the window out of a car when some idiot driver was thinking "I'm just going to squeeze around him on the shoulder here."
06-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #7
Keebler

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The best way to see moose is to get up early and drive the corridor. I Often see moose on weekenders, but i also often don't. For people who absolutely want to see wildlife on a trip, I recommend at least 6 days. And there has been once when even that didn't work out.

Unfortunately right now, I don't have any room on our only planned trip of the summer or I'd send you the date, but if you're going on your own, I'd be happy to offer suggestions as to where it might be good to go, or rent gear or whatever you might need. I don't rent boats out except to people on my own guided trips, but I know everyone who does. I've never had a problem with moose, but then, if you just stay away from them you're good. Getting within kicking range is a really bad idea. I've seen one kick the window out of a car when some idiot driver was thinking "I'm just going to squeeze around him on the shoulder here."
Thanks Norm. I might just take you up on the suggestions. I appreciate it.
First, I have to pick a weekend b/c that's all I'll can get for now. Going early was my thought - I'm in Stittsville (west of Ottawa) so if I leave at what i call 'stupid o'clock' - around 2 am, that should give me a few hours to get there before 1st light which is early this time of year.

07-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

In my experience May is a good month to see them near the side of the road. In fact, I almost hit one crossing the road on May 24th long weekend years back.
I am sure that Normhead will already know all this and much more!

Randy