Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Travelling in the US from Australia....

what should I take? I am planning on my 50mm 50-150? or 24-70? Travelling in May to Kansas city but other than there no plans set in stone. Dont want want a tripod as it is too heavy and then thought about battery chargers? I think our power points are different? Must see areas?
cheers
Jan

06-19-2015, 03:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
USA is 120V and 60Hz. You can get plug adapters to make everything fit. Check your power supplies. Usually, they are universal these days and accept 100-220V and 50/60 Hz. (100V is Japan, btw.)

USA is a big place. You have to choose an area and then limit yourself to that. Potential candidates:

1) Nature:
- Grand Canyon
- Yosemite
- Yellowstone
- Utah parks: Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Zion, and Capitol Reef

2) Cities
- New York (no nature near it)
- Los Angeles and San Diego
- Las Vegas -- Zion is only 3 hours from here and the Grand Canyon, part of it, is only about 5 hours, so this is a good springboard place
- San Francisco - Yosemite is 4 hours or so from here

3) Famous attractions:
- Disney World
- um...
06-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mad..I could travel to those place from Kansas or on the way to Kansas? I have stared at a map but have no clue how it works Can you tell this is a first for me lol......I looked at a train ride in the rocky mountains but it may blow the budget .....so I will investigate your suggestions....except Disney......
cheers
Jan
06-19-2015, 04:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You pretty much have to fly anywhere. Trains are not common here, except on the east coast, where they can be very convenient (Boston, New York, Philadelphia, even Washington DC).

Southwest Airlines may be your friend here. They operate a bunch of nonstops from Kansas City; everyone else will connect at a hub far away. They are a no frills airline but very popular. I don't prefer them but when they have the right route, I'll take it. My NASA colleagues swear by them because they operate out of the closer airport to the Space Center (20 minute vs. 45 minute drive away in Houston traffic). Possible destinations from KC:

Albuquerque, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago–Midway, Dallas–Love, Denver, Fort Lauderdale, Houston–Hobby, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Nashville, New Orleans, New York–LaGuardia, Oakland, Orange County (begins November 22, 2015),[20] Orlando, Phoenix, Portland (OR), St. Louis, San Diego, Tampa, Washington–National

Southwest doesn't run all their nonstops every day and usually they only do 1-2 per day, unlike most other domestic airlines. You might check the schedule for days you can travel and see what is available.

Meanwhile, KC itself isn't really near anything. The most famous attraction in Missouri is probably the Gateway Arch; that's on the other side of the state in Saint Louis. It's a good ~4 hour drive to STL.

06-19-2015, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Then again, Kansas City does have some attractions on its own, and a lot of history. Top 30 Things to Do in Kansas City, MO on TripAdvisor: Kansas City Attractions ? Find What to Do Today, This Weekend, or in June.

Outside the city, this is a great place to grab a really good craft beer and some great food while listening to some fine music. Weston Brewing Company

If it's too hot outside, O'malleys Pub is underground and always cool: O'Malley's 1842 Irish Pub

Keep heading west a few miles and check out the wildlife along the Missouri River Weston Bend State Park | Missouri State Parks

Further west, cross into Kansas and check out Leavenworth, history and good babecue. Historic Fort Leavenworth - Leavenworth, Kansas
I enjoy visiting the carousel museum there, and the downtown area is like a walk back in time.

Back in KC, I recommend the Herford House for steak, bring an apetite.

The others are right, the US is huge, you have to pick a few places, you can't see it all even if you live here your entire life. The good news is that KC is central to the rest of the US, there are a lot of flights, and most of them are less than three hours long.

I'd recommend as wide as lens as possible, the midwestern US is known for big skies and broad horizons. IF a tripod is not in your plans, consider a beanbag, you can usually find something to prop up your camera, but a bean bag is nice for levelling and stability. US Cities are big on neon and lights, and nightlife, especially in the summer, so long exposures will be common.

Enjoy your trip!
06-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by janstew Quote
what should I take? I am planning on my 50mm 50-150? or 24-70? Travelling in May to Kansas city but other than there no plans set in stone. Dont want want a tripod as it is too heavy and then thought about battery chargers? I think our power points are different? Must see areas?
cheers
Jan
The US is a big country with a lot of different things to see and photograph. Depending on how much time you have, you could drive several places too. What do you normally like to shoot, or do you want different things? I've lived in the US all of my life and there are still hundreds of places I want to visit. If you like nature, KC is about a thousand miles from Yellowstone. It is one of the most fascinating places in the US. It has beautiful river valleys flush with wildlife, geysers, hot springs, powerful waterfalls, and just beautiful scenery. Just south of that are the Grand Tetons. I don't know much about KC or even Missouri, hopefully some more people on the forum do. You're not that far from cities like St Louis, Memphis, and even Nashville. Nashville is very photogenic city, I've heard good things about St Louis and Memphis also.

I think the lenses you have so far will be pretty good, if you do wildlife a longer lens would be helpful. Have fun!
06-19-2015, 08:00 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Missouri and Arkansas are interesting
06-19-2015, 08:42 PM   #8
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by janstew Quote
cheers
Jan
Bring both the 24-70 and 50-150. You will use them.

06-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Many many thanks people...madly looking at maps planning planning
06-21-2015, 02:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Let us know where you decide to go, and post a lot of pictures when you get back.
06-23-2015, 07:33 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd be taking something more wide angle than 24mm if you are shooting on APS-C gear. Something that will get you down to at least 20mm and preferably somewhere in the 16-18mm range. There's lots of sweeping visas in some of the rural areas and in the cities, you often can't get far enough back to take in an interesting building even with a sub-20mm lens let alone 24mm.

I've been to Yosemite just for a couple of days down in the valley floor area. Just stunning. I was too late in the season though to go up on the high plateau. It can be got to from San Francisco by combination of Amtrak train and local bus reasonably easily (alight from the train at Merced). And that raises a point worth mentioning. Depending on when you will be travelling in May, the attractions in the higher parts of the Rockies may be transitioning from winter to summer activities which could restrict what you are able to do/see in places like Yosemite and Yellowstone, so check that out carefully.