Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aussie (Syd/Melb) Pentaxians; need your advice!

I'm planning a trip, mostly work related but hopefully with some time available for relaxation & photography, in February/March 2016. About 5 days in Melbourne (depending on what Canadian weather does to flight schedules); 1 day in Sydney at the end. What I need to know is, are there any options in either CBD for purchase and rapid (1hr) development of colour film, and are they available on the weekends? Bonus if they scan to CD or other media at high-res. I am considering bringing an ME or MX as my primary camera instead of the usual K5, but would rather not take undeveloped film back with me in case the airport security machines do the worst.

Also, what are the best places to find manual K-mount and M42 glass in both cities?

I am loath at this stage to suggest any sort of meet-up, as travel traumas (i.e. weather related delays and cancellations) have eaten my free time in Melbourne on previous occasions and there would probably not be time in Sydney due to a fairly tight schedule.

Also, what DO other pentaxians do when they want to take high speed film abroad with them (i.e. 3200) and don't want to put it through the X ray machines (which usually rated as safe for 1600 or less IIRC)? If I can find some in a decent camera store, I might take a broad selection back with me.

11-06-2015, 09:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not from Oz, and I envy you your trip. I suggest you see if you can find a lead lined pouch. We used to use them all the time with film. You end up being hand searched, but that is not a bad thing. Allow an extra few minutes.
11-22-2015, 12:04 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I've moved to digital. However here are some film options:
Vanbar: on-premises processing, burning to CD
PHOTO LAB - Vanbar Imaging
Just outside, & N of the CBD. I think they've now sold most of their new Pentax gear.

This is a pretty comprehensive resource, lots of detail:
The Melbourne Film Shooter's Guide - urbanlight

---------- Post added 22nd Nov 2015 at 17:41 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
... find manual K-mount and M42 glass ...
There are a couple of shops that spring to mind in town (Melbourne)
Camera Lane, &
michaels
& to the East
Camera Exchange
Croydon Camera House

In Sydney, check out Mainline.
11-22-2015, 05:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Camera Exchange is offering a 645N (body only) for SIX HUNDRED AND FORTY FIVE DOLLARS???

Pentax Used

They have GOT to be joking. Please tell me they're joking. From where was this stolen?

11-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The Camera Exchange is offering a 645N (body only) for SIX HUNDRED AND FORTY FIVE DOLLARS???

Pentax Used

They have GOT to be joking. Please tell me they're joking. From where was this stolen?
No joke. I've just rung Camera Exchange, and it's legit: bought at a good price. Apparently a "very clean" example, and separately priced 45 and 75mm lenses. These guys have been in the business for decades, and are an invaluable resource to any working photographer in the state. As some larger private studios clear out their "older" gear, some good deals can often be found.