Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2015, 06:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Traveling to Hong Kong: Seeking Advice

I'm slated to travel to Hong Kong for three weeks in December for work. I'll be working but should have some time to move around and take pictures on the weekends and evenings. We may be pretty busy, but I want to squeeze in whatever sightseeing I can. I've never been to HK so seeking some advice for taking/using my camera and gear.

I wish I knew exactly where I will be in HK, but things are still brewing and I haven't been in the loop but for getting my expired passport fixed up.
  • Thinking I want to keep it simple, Kx, 50mm, 35mm and kit lens. That's what I took to Vegas and it worked out well.
  • I don't want to mess with a tripod (have a "The Green Pod" beanbag "tripod" I can take)
  • Anything I should look out for beyond the usual "camera-in-a-big-city-with-lots-of-people" thing?
  • Since I'm limited on tourist time, are there some "don't miss" areas I should be sure and hit while I'm there?

Thanks in advance.

11-12-2015, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm there as well then (4 days for me).....then on a Xmas/New Year cruise ending in Singapore. I too am interested in the dont miss places to see. Will be taking way too much photography stuff..... as I'm a lost cause.
11-12-2015, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Hong Kong is awesome.

If I were you I would re-think the whole tripod idea. At night in Hong Kong you can get some absolutely stellar images. I would also take some fast lenses.

Hong Kong is a photography heaven.

As for where to visit, there is a bunch of places. Just ask around when you get there. The food is about 14 stars out of a ten scale.
11-12-2015, 10:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Travel light! HK is relatively safe for photographers and their gears.

You'll be doing a lot of walking in HK. A lot. If it were me, a 20mm something, a 30ish and and an 18-135 should cover a lot of ground. Your 50, 35 and kit lens should be enough. I agree, at least bring a light tripod.

11-13-2015, 12:36 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the Peak via cable car - evening
trip on the tram , upper deck - day time
trip on the ferry - Kowloon - Island or vice versa
light show over Kowloon, watching from the Island -evening
Bird Sanctuary on the Island - day time
I usually take Sigma 18-250 Macro for daytime and Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 Macro for the evening / night time
Have the fun and good luck with the weather - 70% of my time in HK it was overcast and wet
11-13-2015, 06:51 AM   #6

Hong Kong is pretty safe with camera stuff so don't have to worry that much.

Usual places: the peak and Victoria harbour at night. Head over to the Kowloon side for more nitty gritty, street photography opportunities. Mong Kok is a good place to explore, always busy and there's several street markets. Once you're done walking, there's also a few of the popular camera shops to visit if the exchange rate is good

Though if you do have a day free I highly recommend catching a ferry to Tai O fishing village. My uncle took me there last time back, it's pretty amazing. The ferry takes an hour or so but it's somewhere most tourists wouldn't go, there's a bus too but it probably takes longer along the mountainous route.

It's an actual fishing village with a lot of history and photo opportunities i.e. Old stilt houses, families preparing fermented prawn paste and local delicacies, old fishing boats that are still being used.

Tripod: maybe? If you do night stuff
Lenses: yep, that's all you need.

Edit: typing on phone

Last edited by activeflush; 11-13-2015 at 07:03 AM.