Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Places Near Seattle WA to Visit for Pictures?

Hi All,
Going to visit my son near Seattle WA between Nov 18 and Nov 27th, and wonder if there are suggestions on places to hike to, or visit in town for some great picture ops?

Have been to the fish market last time, it was neat, and some of the local trails, but it was years ago so I couldn't say which trails..

Thanks!

11-15-2015, 11:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A lot of it really depends on what you want to do and how much time you have,

We are having a very wet fall, after a very dry summer. Bring your favorite rain gear if you plan on being outside much during this stay, between now and Dec 15 is our historic wettest time of the year. Not very cold by your standards though, if you can stay dry, you generally will be warm enough too, unless you head up into the mountains.
We are getting lots of snow in the mountains now, if the sun ever came out there could be lots of scenic opportunities.
The local orca pods have moved into the south sound from the San Juans, and can be seen from shorelines and the state ferry runs (no guaranteed sightings though), you can also get whale watching cruises from various ports around the sound.
We don't get (I don't think) great fall colors like you do in the east, and what there is will be pretty well done by the time you get here.

If you can get over to the Olympic Peninsula, the rain forest areas are quite nice, and the ocean beaches can be spectacular this time of year, especially with some of the storms coming in. Port Townsend and Port Gamble on the east side of the Olympic Peninsula are neat old towns, with Victorian era buildings, some interesting stores and restaurants in them. You can make a long day trip to either of them from the east side of the sound, by the Edmond-Kingston Ferry.

Snoqualmie is an interesting town, with a railroad museum,and a spectacular waterfall, not to far up into the mountains, it can get some snow in town this time of year.

The Boeing Museum of Flight at Boeing Field has a great static collection of historic aircraft, and there is Paul Allen's smaller collection of flying relics at Paine Field in Everett.
Hope you enjoy your stay,

Last edited by K-Three; 11-15-2015 at 11:38 AM. Reason: added Snoqualmie
11-15-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The skyline is really nice, especially at night. There are many places to go to get great shots but I don't remember the names of them. Maybe google it? Also great street photography.
11-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
A lot of it really depends on what you want to do and how much time you have,

We are having a very wet fall, after a very dry summer. Bring your favorite rain gear if you plan on being outside much during this stay, between now and Dec 15 is our historic wettest time of the year. Not very cold by your standards though, if you can stay dry, you generally will be warm enough too, unless you head up into the mountains.
We are getting lots of snow in the mountains now, if the sun ever came out there could be lots of scenic opportunities.
The local orca pods have moved into the south sound from the San Juans, and can be seen from shorelines and the state ferry runs (no guaranteed sightings though), you can also get whale watching cruises from various ports around the sound.
We don't get (I don't think) great fall colors like you do in the east, and what there is will be pretty well done by the time you get here.

If you can get over to the Olympic Peninsula, the rain forest areas are quite nice, and the ocean beaches can be spectacular this time of year, especially with some of the storms coming in. Port Townsend and Port Gamble on the east side of the Olympic Peninsula are neat old towns, with Victorian era buildings, some interesting stores and restaurants in them. You can make a long day trip to either of them from the east side of the sound, by the Edmond-Kingston Ferry.

Snoqualmie is an interesting town, with a railroad museum,and a spectacular waterfall, not to far up into the mountains, it can get some snow in town this time of year.

The Boeing Museum of Flight at Boeing Field has a great static collection of historic aircraft, and there is Paul Allen's smaller collection of flying relics at Paine Field in Everett.
Hope you enjoy your stay,
QuoteOriginally posted by joip Quote
The skyline is really nice, especially at night. There are many places to go to get great shots but I don't remember the names of them. Maybe google it? Also great street photography.
Thank you very much for the reply! My wife and I arrive on Thursday and I am looking forward to taking lots of pics. She has a KX and I use the K3, lol, bet I know what K Three uses...

I am considering finding a camera shop during the Black Friday week and seeing what bargains I can score.. Not guaranteed I want to buy another K3 yet, for my wife. The KX is good up to a point, but I can get better low light pics, and much better AF, better ISO performance and weather sealed in a K3 for her.

I looked up the Port locations, and we are definitely going to spend some time on the Pacific coast, and I really want to do some night, long exposure shots for a city.

Take care

11-16-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only store in the area I have found Pentax on the shelf is Kenmore Camera at the north end of Lake Washington.
They are a little off my beaten path, so I have only been to them once and that was over a year ago. A very impressive store if you have time to get to it. I end up using B&H for most of my camera shopping.

Yes, I have a K3, but my user name is more related to my family situation, I'm the third K, out of four, we can't come up with many different names in my family. Have to wait until my son has a son, so I can give him my K5.
Enjoy your stay, we may get some sun over Saturday and Sunday if the forecasters are right.
11-16-2015, 09:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter

THE BOEING MUSEUM!!!

And post pictures please!
11-16-2015, 09:39 PM   #7

Gas Works Park

11-16-2015, 10:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Pike Place Fish Market, Snoqualmie Falls, Beacon Hill, Kerry Park.
11-16-2015, 11:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not much Pentax gear in stores around here.

As far as places to go, so many choices... If you want night shots of Seattle, go over to Alki and set up across the bay. There are several ferry rides that can give great photos, as well as getting you across the Sound. There are beaches, both in the Sound and out on the ocean coast. Mountains both east and west. A few lovely volcanoes, which have just been blanketed with a fresh coat of snow, if you get nice days where you can actually see them. Waterfalls and rivers all over, of course.

A lot depends on whether you will be in Seattle proper, or north or south in our smaller cities. Believe me when I say that getting *through* Seattle is a royal PITA because of traffic. Easier to pick destinations that lie on 'your side' of the metro region...

Hope you bring us some nicer weather, it would be nice to see that bright glowy thing again!

Jim