Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2015, 12:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Best places to visit (and photograph) in Japan?

My wife and I will be in Japan for about a week (flying into and out of Tokyo) in mid January. What are some great places to visit and photograph while there? We don't mind traveling to other islands and we're more interested in seeing zen gardens and soothing scenery than densely populated urban areas.

12-26-2015, 02:15 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just spent 4 weeks based in Osaka. Places to see in Kansai include Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Kobe. For me the two highlights were Nara and Naruto:

- Nara: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/310144-abstract-nara-japan.html

- Naruto whirlpools off Awaji Island (almost opposite of Kansai airport) - Best seen from both ends of bridge, and from a boat (http://www.hyogo-tourism.jp/english/spot/147_swirling.html) - Highly recommended

In previous trips I visited many nice places. Two come in mind. The Ise shrine is superb (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4301.html). Accessible mostly by car or bus. Mt Fuji is a must-see if you have nice weather. You do not need to climb (although spectacular),Viewed from around, Fuji-san is really impressive on a nice day.

Hope that the comments will help.

Last edited by hcc; 12-27-2015 at 03:37 AM.
12-26-2015, 06:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go to rural areas and photograph the Japanese people's shocked expressions at seeing an American
Also, buy some nice Pentax gear in the cities. I hear you can get some stuff for good prices, lots of used stuff, and some special editions that were only available there (like DA 35mm in all sorts of colours).
I doubt you will run out of stuff to photograph
12-26-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Go to rural areas and photograph the Japanese people's shocked expressions at seeing an American
Also, buy some nice Pentax gear in the cities. I hear you can get some stuff for good prices, lots of used stuff, and some special editions that were only available there (like DA 35mm in all sorts of colours).
I doubt you will run out of stuff to photograph
That won't be hard, I'm 6'3" and very caucasian!