Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2016, 03:01 AM   #1

Need advice for Namibia trip

Hello guys,

this is my first post here on PentaxForums. I've been following this Forum for years now and made buying decisions after reading tons of user reviews and opinions. So thanks for all this!

Well, back to topic. I have the oportunity to travel to Namibia this februar and I am absolutely uncertain what equipment to bring there. I am traveling in a group of 13 persons and I think there might be not enough time to change lenses and choose the right filter and so on. Unfortunately I have absolutely no money right now to buy new gear.

Basicly we will see Windhoek and Swakopmund, Walvis Bay, Samaraland, Etosha pan and the region around Otjiwarongo. I think we'll stop here and there during the transfers.

So here is the list of my Equipment:

Pentax K-5
Pentax K-01
Pentax FA 15/4 (smc version)
Pentax FA 31/1.8
Pentax DA 18-55 WR
Pentax F 70-210/4-5.6
Tamron 70-300 Di LD 4-5.6
Sirui T1004x tripod
Lee Seven5 system with 0.9 GRD hard and 0.9 GRD soft
B+W polarizer fitting for all lenses except Tamron 70-300

My first thought was:

- K-01 with 15/4, K-05 with 31/1.8 and F 70-210 in the bag as the basic setup
- K-01 with 18-55 for the cities (light and inconspicuous)
- K-01 with 18-55, K-5 with 70-210 and 70-300 for the extra reach for the etosha national park

I want to avoid coming dust to the sensor while changing lenses too often. I want to keep it simple and have the right focal length at the right time. Maybe I don't need the 15/4 that often so another lens/camera combination would be more convenient. Maybe I can leave some gear at home.

What are your suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Sebastian

01-15-2016, 04:45 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I'd go for one of the telezooms, cannot say which as I am unsure about their performance. But I'd consider the 300mm dor that extra reach... Then on the other camera either the 15 or 31...
01-15-2016, 05:19 AM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Definitely bring a tele zoom for Etosha. It's a big place, and you can't always get close to the water holes. I have used the DA55-300 and you want all the reach you can get.

Damaraland has some beautiful landscapes, and some kind of wide angle would be nice there. However, that too is a big, open place, so something longer will also enable you to get nice landscapes. I would definitely bring the 15, and the 18-55 for its flexibility. The 31 is nice, but I don't usually bring it on this kind of trip, mostly due to size (but then I often bring the FA43 instead, even though I don't use it much). The lenses I use the most on these trips are definitely the zooms.

Otjiwarongo probably means Waterberg as well? Nice place, too

Swakopmund might include some sand dune action (quadbikes, sandboarding etc) where the 18-55 will be a good choice. There will be lots of sand, though.

The sun gets very harsh in the middle of the day, and polarisers are a good idea. On that note, get up early, especially in Etosha. Get up before sunrise, get out of the gates as soon as they open. So many of my best experiences have been during that first hour of the day. "You snooze, you lose!"

Apart from some parts of Windhoek that are a bit shady Namibia is generally very safe. Sure, look after your valuables, but no need to be too nervous.
01-15-2016, 05:48 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is difficult. It really boils down to how simple do you want to make the kit. Take what I say as generic advice. I have not been there Not have I traveled with 15 people trying to do this.

Personally given the large group I would try to go with the least gear that gives the shots I want. To me that means only one of the telezoom lenses (70-300 seems to be consensus for reach) and one other lens (18-55 is the most versatile) but that leaves you without any low light lens which is why I think you might have wanted the 31.

The polarizer not fitting the 70-300 might be an issue but I'd slap it on the 18-55 and not worry. If graduated nd is a big part of what you do bring one or both and plan when to mount it ahead of time.

So I would leave the 15 and 31 at home and live with the two zoom kit. I'd select the 70-210 over the 70-300 if the polarizer is a huge deal and you are ok cropping.

One last thought. An inexpensive (screwdrive or manual focus) 1.4x TC on the 70-210 might be a good compromise if you could swing it. But you said no new gear so that's a bit out of bounds.

01-15-2016, 06:01 AM   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, if the Tamron is weak at 300mm you might be better off with the 70-210 and crop. I have not tried any of them and wouldn't know.
01-15-2016, 07:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Seb Quote
K-01 with 18-55, K-5 with 70-210 and 70-300 for the extra reach for the etosha national park

This would probably be my choice because it gives you the most coverage while keeping lens changes to a minimum. I'd opt for the 70-300 over the 70-210 just for the added length. If possible, I'd take the 15 and 31, too, for those times when you've got a chance for more relaxed shooting.
01-15-2016, 07:05 AM   #7
Seb

Original Poster
Wow! Thanks for the replies! And thanks, Savoche, for making me looking forward even more while reading your recommendation for the different places. We are traveling with a group of students so I know most of the people, but I don't always want to be the last one when the engine of the bus is yet running.

QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
I'd go for one of the telezooms, cannot say which as I am unsure about their performance. But I'd consider the 300mm dor that extra reach... Then on the other camera either the 15 or 31...
That would guarantee that I always have quick access to a tele-zoom. In terms of IQ the 70-210 is better than the 70-300 for my understanding. I will try how the cropped 70-210 compares to the 70-300. I would love to use my primes on the other Camera. The 15/4 is better than the 18-55 at 18 mm in every respect and I learned to love the 31.

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I would definitely bring the 15, and the 18-55 for its flexibility. The 31 is nice, but I don't usually bring it on this kind of trip, mostly due to size (but then I often bring the FA43 instead, even though I don't use it much).
Don't you think it might be useful to have at least one fast lens? You are right with your suggestion to use the 18-55 instead. IMHO it has some kind of sweet spot at around 30 mm so at least at bright sceneries I could cope with leaving the 31 at home.

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Otjiwarongo probably means Waterberg as well? Nice place, too
Yes

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
So I would leave the 15 and 31 at home and live with the two zoom kit. I'd select the 70-210 over the 70-300 if the polarizer is a huge deal and you are ok cropping.
That is definetly the absolute basic setup, but it would be the most convenient. The 70-210 with polarizer would be my choice when it's up to image quality. My Tamron suffers of extreme CA at 300 mm even at f8. The AF of the 70-210 is way better, too. That is difficult, as you already said

01-15-2016, 07:15 AM   #8
Seb

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
One last thought. An inexpensive (screwdrive or manual focus) 1.4x TC on the 70-210 might be a good compromise if you could swing it. But you said no new gear so that's a bit out of bounds.
That would mean roughly 100-300 f5,6-8, right? Do you have a TC that you can recommend? I think this would be some kind of temporary solution. I better stick with the things I've got. But nice thought anyway!
01-15-2016, 09:55 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That would mean roughly 100-300 f5,6-8, right? Do you have a TC that you can recommend? I think this would be some kind of temporary solution. I better stick with the things I've got. But nice thought anyway!
It would. If AF is a requirement the there are several around $100+ that could work. If not then cheaper versions may exist. Even a manual focus genuine Pentax 1.4x-S Rear converter is over $100.

I still think that using the 18-55 and maybe stitching software would work. You can add the 15 if you plan some shots where the flare resistance would be a really important feature.
01-15-2016, 11:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Having 2 bodies would be very useful to reduce lens swapping. As far a lens recommendations, I would suggest 15/31/18-55/70-210 as a good and flexible balance of quality and range plus a WR walkabout for around town.
I would avoid the Tamron 70-300 for Namibia because of the bad CA/purple fringe in high contract bright sun conditions. It becomes a purple-fringe monster of note IMHO.
The 15 will be great for the many wide vitas all around that beautiful country, while the 31 should be good for high quality normal work for people/village/markets/etc. The 18-55WR good for around town and when in the sand dunes or dolphin viewing boat.
70-210 is a little short for some wildlife, but if you go to 300 and beyond you need good quality gear as well as conditions to get those real printable memories. On the other hand, from a vehicle in a game park, you will often be fairly close to large animals, so 210mm should be fairly good.
Hope you enjoy, it is a remarkable desert touched land. And very hot in February with common afternoon thunderstorm.
01-23-2016, 09:03 AM   #11
Seb

Original Poster
Well, I've read your advices carefully and thought about the topic. Thanks a lot!

I'm pretty sure that I will leave the 70-300 at home. I never got good results wide open at 300 mm and even at f8 I was never really satisfied. I will bring two bodies to have some flexibility. Both 70-210 and 70-300 aren't suitable for polarizers as the front elements are turning... :-/

I have only one last question My girlfriend is reading a lot about minimalism in live right now and at least I felt unhappy with things in the past when the posibility of choices increased. Just hypothetical: What about choosing only the 31/1.8 on the K-01 and the 70-210 on the K-5? If I nead wide I stitch. For envorinmental protection I buy those plastic bags or build a self made construction with a transparent plastic bag and tape. I wouldn't have to change a lens. I'm aware of the pros and cons of stitching and have the software to do it (Lightroom 6).

I know that in February the appearance of thunderstorms is likely and the animals don't necessarily have to come to the big water holes, but at least we can enter the part of the park that you cannot enter as an individual tourist (if I got it right..).

Have a nice weekend!!!

Sebastian
08-26-2016, 06:23 AM   #12
Seb

Original Poster
What I finally did

Hey guys,

I followed your advice to leave the FA31 at home, but otherwise I changed my gear a little bit. I sold the K-01 and the 70-300, bought a 16-50 2.8 and borrowed a Sigma 10-20 3.5 from a friend that I bought after the trip. So here is the gear list for Namibia 2016:

- Pentax K5 --> Still very satisfied with this body, handled everything well!
- Pentax 16-50 2.8 --> especially in the Namib desert a very solid and WR tool! You will get sand on your equipment as soon as it is windy.
- Sigma 10-20 3.5 --> Great for wide landscapes
- Pentax 70-210 4-5.6 --> OK for wildlife, but not the holy grail when it comes to reach. As you all mentioned cropping in PP worked fine. The IQ of this lens allows it to some degree. It's very loud especially when the focus hunts.

Some GND filters came handy as well as my Sirui tripod.

So thanks again!

Sebastian
08-26-2016, 10:27 AM   #13
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent! I trust you had a good trip? Our trips to Namibia have really made me appreciate dry landscapes. Last year we went to the Kalahari (mostly on the South African side), and I really want to go back, maybe cross Central Kalahari and go on up to Okavango. That means we'll find someone to go with, though, as they don't recommend crossing in a single vehicle.

Sorry about the rambling Hope you will share some images from your trip!
09-02-2016, 05:24 AM   #14
Seb

Original Poster
Yes, I loved it! But as traveling in a group with a rather tight schedule I think it can be way more impressive with enough time. I haven't seen great places like Dead Vlei or Fishriver Canyon so I plan to come back someday as well!

I can post some pictures the next days.
09-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #15
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I loved it! But as traveling in a group with a rather tight schedule I think it can be way more impressive with enough time. I haven't seen great places like Dead Vlei or Fishriver Canyon so I plan to come back someday as well!

I can post some pictures the next days.
Good to hear! I have found that going on an organised (group) trip is a good way to get an overview. They give you an idea of what you want to see properly the next time. Hiring a car and traveling independently in Namibia is very straight forward. Going with a smaller group is also a good alternative, although somewhat less flexible.

The big dunes are definitely worth a visit!