Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2016, 12:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Best photography stops for a cross-country road trip?

One of my friends is moving cross-country, and I have to help her drive her car across miles and miles of scenic landscapes. Shucky darns.

Do any of you have recommendations for places to visit along the way? The current plan is to start in Durango, do a clockwise semicircle through Arizona, Nevada and Utah, drive up to Yellowstone, and then head for Boston via I-90 with a detour south through Indianapolis and Columbus, because we'd rather drive through those cities than through Chicago. I imagine that we're mostly going to be camping.

We definitely want to see Yellowstone, Dinosaur National Monument, Valley of Fire State Park and Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Park in Nevada, but I'm not really familiar with what's good to see in Utah or the Four Corners region. I'm not really familiar with the Midwest at all. We welcome any and all suggestions!

02-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Arches in Utah is pretty spectacular in the eastern side on the west side of the state Zion is a great spot.
02-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Grand Staircase Escalante Utah - Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument | Visit Utah
02-02-2016, 01:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Black Hills of South Dakota is an area you will want to spend a few days visiting. Custer NP is like a mini-Yellowstone without the crowds. Devils Tower. Wild Mustang Ranch. Mt. Rushmore. The Corn Palace. And don't forget the badlands either.

Michael

02-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
start in Durango
QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
through Indianapolis
I'll give you my suggestions as long as it is understood your route is about 20 times longer than going Denver, Kansas City and Indianapolis (and straight east to Philadelphia).

When you leave Yellowstone, head for Cody, Wyoming. Both the northeast and east gates are very scenic, my preference is the Beartooth Highway to Cooke City, southeast to Cody and then #14 to Sheridan and I-90. If you want to go to Little Bighorn go directly from Cooke City to Billings and forget about Cody. Take the I-90 south and east to Moorcroft and make a side trip to Devil's Monument. Allow for a couple of days in the Black Hills, then spend the best part of a day doing Badlands N.P. and the two Minuteman Missile N.H.S. sites, the launch centre near the east entrance to Badlands has a guided tour that was the absolute highlight of my trip to South Dakota a couple of years ago.

Overnight at Sioux Falls and then then decide if you have had enough or if you want to stretch the trip out by a few more days. if you have the time, you can go northeast to Duluth and do the Upper Peninsula and come down through Flint and Toledo, then the I-90 all the way to Boston. That would mean missing Indianapolis and Columbus, not a great sacrifice in my mind. If you don't want to see Lake Superiour, head south from Sioux Falls and go through Des Moines, Davenport and Peoria on your way to Indianapolis. Des Moines is a nice city in itself, but I wouldn't plan my trip around it. I would plan a entire trip around going to Chicago, but that doesn't seem to be your style. if you are going to end up in Columbus, give yourself some extra time to make side trips in Pennsylvania on your way to Philadelphia and the mega-metropolitan mess that runs north to Boston. In my opinion, Pennsylvania is one of the most underrated states in the United States.
02-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What time of year are you going? You'll probably hit the Grand Tetons before Yellowstone, and leave plenty of time for Yellowstone, but if it is in the next couple of months check and make sure you can get in, Winter is really harsh there. The Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody is really nice, and Devil's Tower is OK.

The Black Hills in South Dakota are pretty nice, especially Custer State Park. If you can hit the Badlands in South Dakota early morning or before sundown, the wildlife is out then and the colors will be much better than during the mid day sun. If you like a good old fashioned cheesy tourist attraction stop at Wall Drug.

Between Indianapolis and Columbus is Dayton, home of the National Museum of the United States Air Force. It is the finest aviation museum in the US, and probably the world. It is large, full of aviation history, photographer friendly, and even free. You can easily spend a day there, tripod required. There are some other things in the area, if you like nature the Yellow Springs area is special. Columbus is not known as a touristy city but it has a lot of different things to photograph, street shooting along High Street in the Short North is interesting, it's an area with a big nightlife, lots of galleries and restaurants and the sidewalks are usually packed. If you go through in the Summer there are a lot of festivals. Southeast of Columbus is the Hocking Hills, a great place if you are into nature, it might be a little too far off your path, but it's worth the trip. In Pennsylvania, don't miss Gettysburg.
02-02-2016, 05:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, the time of year is an important question. If you are going up towards Yellowstone, stop in Jackson and see the National Elk Refuge.

02-02-2016, 07:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It'll be in either June or July. And thanks for all the suggestions! Keep them coming!
02-02-2016, 09:16 PM   #9

Mesa Verde, Canyon De Chelly, Monument Valley, North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion, detour to Nevada, Cedar Breaks (sunset), Bryce Canyon (sunrise), Arches, Colorado National Monument, Dinosaur, and then make your way to Yellowstone.

If you don't go through the UP but take a southern route instead, you could visit the beach at Warren Dune or St. Joseph, Michigan. Instead of I-90, you could cross the border at Detroit, go across Canada and see Niagara Falls from the Canadian side (that's how I went to Boston when I lived in Michigan).
02-02-2016, 09:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Black Canyon of the Gunnison (my neighborhood)
Moab/Arches
Zion
Great Sand Dunes
Mesa Verde
02-04-2016, 12:17 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

well you did ask
All of the above are great reccomendations....how much time do you have?
You are close to Monument Valley, another detour could take you from Monument valley to Capitol Reef NP, there is a connecting road whose number escapes me, and then pick up hwy 12 E to Moab (Arches) and then head North For Grand Tetons, Yellowstone.
That's the trouble with that area, practically every turn throws up something else.

Magnificent trip, take as much time as you can.
02-04-2016, 06:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We'll probably end up taking 8-9 days puttering around the southwest before we head east again. I'm really enjoying all the suggestions!
02-05-2016, 02:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Red rock country of Sedona, AZ.