Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 05:10 AM   #1

Backpacking for a year...What lenses to bring ?

Hey folks. new to this forum, new to Pentax world, new to digital photography.

I recently purchased a K50, which I found was the best camera for my need (price VS features VS ergonomics VS room to grow).

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip around Asia for at least a year. Very different landscapes. Mongolia, Western China, Tibet, but also big cities, and remote jungles in New Guinea.

So I am limited for space, and do not want to restrict my type of photography (I like portraits, landscapes, wildlife, and city shots). So far, this is what I have and am thinking of bringing:

1) Pentax WR18-135-mm-f/3-5-5-6, which I think will be my walkaround lens, as it is weather sealed and so far produces nice results.

2) Pentax SMC AF 80-320mm f/4.5-5.6 for next to nothing, which impresses me considering the price I paid. I am aware of its low light limitations, and it is a noisy thing, but it's got reach, weighs almost nothing, and is pretty compact. I am planning on the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 later, but it would be too big, I think, for this kind of trip.

3) Sigma ex dc hsm 10-20mm f/3.5

4) Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4

Now, I am open to suggestions.

1) Change my mens lineup ? Keep it as is ?
2) Which mini (and I really mean mini) tripod to bring?
3) How did fellow backpackers pack their gears. I will be doing lots of horseback travels (Mongolia), walking-trekking-hiking in Tibet-jungles, buses, train in the city, etc. ?

Finally, my girlfriend will also carry a camera (she's the creative one with a bachelor in fine arts-photography), I am the geeky one. We wil also sometimes do different travel areas.
We are debating between the Olympus Stylus 1S, which has a great 35-300 zoom, constant f2.8, The Canon Powershot G7x markII, Sony CyberShot RX100 II or III, Panasonic Lumix FZ300, or Fujifilm X30 Any suggestions ?

02-25-2016, 05:39 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would have probably went with the Pentax 55-300 WR, but I think you should be good to go.
02-25-2016, 06:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdesfosses Quote
Except if it really fits your style, I wouldn't bring the Sigma UWA. It's a big lens and would serve limited purposes, for me at least. For the erst I think you've got most bases covered. Maybe swap the Sigma for a DA15 if you wish for wider than 18mm.

Do you mean tabletop, or compact travel tripod. For the former, there are many, many models. Panoguy made a comparison review at DPreview. If you want a full-size, travel tripod, I think you can't do better than the Sirui T-025x.

3) How did fellow backpackers pack their gears. I will be doing lots of horseback travels (Mongolia), walking-trekking-hiking in Tibet-jungles, buses, train in the city, etc. ?
I've never traveled for so long. What I did however was to select the bag first (obviously, some would say), then select which quick-access compartment to use for gear, and find an insert which fits perfectly in it. I went for an Ape Case Cubeze, which I like, but your selection should be based on dimensions, to get a good fit.

If you intend to travel a lot with your backpack on and your camera out, a regular strap won't cut it. I recommend the Op/Tech system, because it's modular, and includes clips that attach to shoulder straps on almost any backpack. That way the bag can bear the weigth of the camera, and you can convert to a sling strap, neck strap, etc, as required. Inexpensive and so convenient.

We are debating between the Olympus Stylus 1S, which has a great 35-300 zoom, constant f2.8, The Canon Powershot G7x markII, Sony CyberShot RX100 II or III, Panasonic Lumix FZ300, or Fujifilm X30 Any suggestions ?
My choice would be the Sony, but they are all capable cameras.
02-25-2016, 06:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just for weight reasons I would take a couple DA Limiteds - 15 and 70 instead of the 10-20 and 50 1.4. In fact I would not even take the 80 320 or anything longer than the 70 but that is my experience when traveling - I never end up using long lenses. Instead I would get a DA 35 2.4 which I find invaluable in indoor situations - and it weights next to nothing.

---------- Post added 02-25-16 at 08:31 AM ----------

A couple more things... For her I would suggest the Panasonic LX100. And for you I recommend not forgetting to pick up the battery adapter for the K50 with some rechargeable AAs. The battery life of the K50 isn't that great.

02-25-2016, 06:54 AM   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey folks. new to this forum, new to Pentax world, new to digital photography.

I recently purchased a K50, which I found was the best camera for my need (price VS features VS ergonomics VS room to grow).

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip around Asia for at least a year. Very different landscapes. Mongolia, Western China, Tibet, but also big cities, and remote jungles in New Guinea.

So I am limited for space, and do not want to restrict my type of photography (I like portraits, landscapes, wildlife, and city shots). So far, this is what I have and am thinking of bringing:

1) Pentax WR18-135-mm-f/3-5-5-6, which I think will be my walkaround lens, as it is weather sealed and so far produces nice results.

2) Pentax SMC AF 80-320mm f/4.5-5.6 for next to nothing, which impresses me considering the price I paid. I am aware of its low light limitations, and it is a noisy thing, but it's got reach, weighs almost nothing, and is pretty compact. I am planning on the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 later, but it would be too big, I think, for this kind of trip.

Now, I am open to suggestions.

I see nothing wrong with that. My lineup would have been a bit different, but that's mainly because I have other lenses:

- I would definitely bring my 18-135. Just the perfect travel lens IMO.
- I would bring my 55-300 for tele use, but your 80-320 will do the job just fine.
- For wide I would bring my DA15 over the Sigma. The reason is simply size and weight. 10mm is a lot wider, though.
- The FA50 should cover your low-light needs, although my preference is something a bit wider (FA43 or DA35 would be my main alternatives)

QuoteQuote:
Lots to choose from. I usually bring a Gorilla Pod for its versatility. For travels where I can bring more luggage I bring the full size (but still very light) Sirui T-025x.

QuoteQuote:
I pick a good backpack, then add a bag insert for the camera gear. I still haven't found a camera centric backpack that is anywhere near as comfortable as a "proper" backpack, and also has room for other stuff.

QuoteQuote:
Finally, my girlfriend will also carry a camera (she's the creative one with a bachelor in fine arts-photography), I am the geeky one. We wil also sometimes do different travel areas.
Hard one. I know I would prefer a relatively large sensor (RX100, G7x, Panasonic LX100), my wife would want large zoom coverage and close focusing - which means small sensor. Two very different approaches, but none of them wrong.

My pick would probably be an LX100, though.

Just one more thing: Don't forget to use your eyes as well. A trip like that shouldn't be experienced all through a viewfinder. Enjoy your trip and don't forget to be there. It will be a fantastic experience.
02-25-2016, 07:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The 10-20 and 18-135 should cover it. If you had a second body (instead of other lenses) you could have them both ready to go.
02-25-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Sounds amazing!

QuoteQuote:
Personally, I'd probably opt for the 16-85mm as a base, but good choice nonetheless. I've read here that some people who hike a lot like the 20-40mm for its small size.

QuoteQuote:
If you really need something long, I guess. Not sure I'd bring something in that range - I have the HD DA 55-30mm WR - but if you're into wildlife shots, it could be very useful... Personally, I'd probably bring a macro lens instead.

QuoteQuote:
That lens is very large. Maybe look at the F/4-5.6 version? Little bit smaller and lighter. Also, don't forget to bring an ND filter for it, IMHO. As for myself, I have the 10-20mm F/4-5.6 plus a Sigma 17-70mm, and I really like that I just need a 72-to-77mm step-up ring and a 77mm ND filter and I'm covered for doing daytime long exposures from 10 to 70mm. I personally would NOT give up having 10mm at the wide end by bringing a DA15 instead. If you enjoy shooting really wide, there's a huge difference between 10mm and 15mm...

QuoteQuote:
I'd throw in the DA35 and DA50 plastic fantastics instead.

QuoteQuote:
Someone else mentioned the Sirui T-025x, and it will do the job and is very light. One thing to note is that in my experience the head (C-10X) becomes pretty much inoperable in very cold weather (below -10C), so caveat emptor.

QuoteQuote:
Worth considering having the two cameras cover different ranges. So if she's got something that goes long (e.g. FZ1000), then you can forgo the 80-320mm. Of if she's got wide covered (e.g. the new Nikon DL18-50 - very interesting camera), then you skip the 10-20...? Just a thought.

02-25-2016, 08:00 AM   #8

I would also recommend a second Pentax body if you don't already have one. Makes life traveling together hassle free and all the more harmonious when being able to share lenses with each other. Just my 2c.

Also I think you've got your focal ranges covered so far. That 18-135mm is a great lens for what it offers.
02-25-2016, 09:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I have been honing my travel kit for several years now. When I started...and it still remains...my goal is to carry everything in one bag. Keep it light. My criteria was/is to carry a camera bag and a backpack while still being able to comfortably drive a scooter.

There are several options to get there but right now for my upcoming trip my kit is a 16-85 zoom for its weather resistant features and it's a flexible zoom range and it's actually quite sharp. I will also carry the 3 amigos. That's it.

I do have a small tripod if I want to take that too. It all depends what and where I am going.

If I am taking a day trip on a boat I might leave the primes at home locked up. It all depends...but those lenses are all I will take for the most part.

I do have a 70-200 but I won't be carrying it around alot.
02-25-2016, 10:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Just a thought - your wife could get a K-S1 and the HD 18-50 retractable lens - small and portable, and better than any compact

If budget is an issue, my usual recommendation is a K-r with the DA 35 2.4 lens. If she's an arts student, I think she would appreciate the single normal focal length for its "true to what the eyes see" view, or what Cartier Bresson thought was a painter's view. The K-r can be had for about 150 dollars and the DA 35 for about 100 new - you just can't beat what 250 dollars can bring you - and it's a very light setup. Plus she could use one of your lenses if she decided she wanted a tele or wide shot, basically meaning you would be doing the heavy lifting for her .
02-25-2016, 10:13 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First I am officially jealous

Some of this is just personal style. But if I was going on an extended backpacking trip I would take the DA15, the DA21 and the smallest 50 macro lens I can find (probably the M or A 50 macro). For telephoto in this type of scenario, I have been looking at the latest 50-200 WR kit lens. I don't have one yet but it looks like a pretty decent lens, pretty compact, weather resistant and cheap. But your 80-320 looks like a great choice also and offers more reach.

Would your girlfriend consider carrying a DSLR? I believe the Pentax K-X is one of the smallest they have made. Another even smaller option is the K-01. Then you can share lenses (and she can help carry lenses )

As far as backpacking with a camera I did some of this in the 70's and 80's. The only camera case I carried was a little padded belt case for an extra lens or 2 and the camera stayed around my neck most of the time. I used old socks and plastic bags to protect the lenses and just wrapped the camera in a shirt and a plastic bag when it went in the pack. I have been looking at the inexpensive neoprene camera and lens cases for this situation.

I am sure whatever you pick will work just fine and you will make great pictures. Have a great time!

---------- Post added 02-25-16 at 11:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Just a thought - your wife could get a K-S1 and the HD 18-50 retractable lens - small and portable, and better than any compact

If budget is an issue, my usual recommendation is a K-r with the DA 35 2.4 lens. If she's an arts student, I think she would appreciate the single normal focal length for its "true to what the eyes see" view, or what Cartier Bresson thought was a painter's view. The K-r can be had for about 150 dollars and the DA 35 for about 100 new - you just can't beat what 250 dollars can bring you - and it's a very light setup. Plus she could use one of your lenses if she decided she wanted a tele or wide shot, basically meaning you would be doing the heavy lifting for her .
More good options, ChristianRock and I are thinking similar. Another thing to consider is the DSLRs that take AA batteries (Your K-50 does) in case you run into problems being able to charge your batteries. And maybe a battery charger that can operate from a car.

Last edited by KC0PET; 02-25-2016 at 10:29 AM.
02-26-2016, 05:32 AM   #12

Original Poster
Well this has gotten me thinking. Thank you for the replies.

Although I already have all of the lenses listed above, I just thought of going a very different way...

Stuff the following lenses in an insulated water bottle holder:
Pentax SMCP-DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited
Pentax SMCP-DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited AF
Pentax SMCP-DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited AF
Pentax smc Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro Lens
Water Bottle Parka? | Outdoor Research | Designed By Adventure | Outdoor Clothing & Gear

That could be an interesting set, and would all fit into the Nalgene...

As for the Tripod, I am gearing towards the Gorilla. For the backpack, if I go with the setup I just listed...top of my current 65l backpack.

Thoughts ?
02-26-2016, 01:53 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That would be quite the primo backpacking lens config.!! You would hardly know you were carrying it and a lot of great IQ all in one little bag. Not to spend your money for you () but add a little 1.4x teleconverter and you can get some more reach out of the 100.

I really like the water bottle holder idea, I believe I will get one of those for carrying lenses.

I carried a medium sized tripod back in the day when backpacking. I have a Cullmann that is probably 30+ YO that I still use that seems like a good balance of size and weight (but it is not compact). But perhaps with the high iso performance these days and depending on the type of shooting you do it may not be that big of a deal. I shot a lot of Kodachrome 64 back then (and later Velvia).
02-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I don't know if I'd go with a bottle holder... what if the lens I want is always in the middle of the others and I'm walking around a trail with the camera swinging from my neck and something else in my hand and I don't want to risk dropping a lens or two while I'm tryign to reach for the one I want?

I think I'd much rather have something like a small side bag... like this... http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Passport-Sling-Camera-Mirrorless/dp/B009H2LZQ0...ing+camera+bag
02-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd skip the big zoom too. Body, DA 15, 18-135, and maybe a fast prime. You'll use the 18-135 most of the time I bet.
I have an Ultrapod II for use with a KS-2 and it's just enough. It can be used free standing or attached to a tree or pole. Very light weight.