Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
San Francisco

I am planning a 7-8 day trip and wondering what I am missing.

Taking 4 zooms previously suggested by others as LLL (lowell's lens list) franging from 10-200 mm and a 2xTC

Aside from fishermans warf, golden gate bridge, a giants game (if possible) Telegraph hill, sonoma, Point Reyes National seashore, What Am I missing.

non mainstream ideas welcome

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 07-17-2008 at 04:06 AM.
07-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
Damn Brit

It depends on where the smoke from the fires is unless they have got them all under control.
Here are a few suggestions: Monterey Bay and Aquarium, Napa Valley. There are some nice regional parks across the bay on the Oakland side : Sibley, Huckleberry, Redwood (Oakland) and Tilden (Berkeley) are all within about 15 minutes of each other. Lake Chabot is just outside Oakland. Lake Merrit is in Oakland. Chabot Observatory.

Hope some of these tickle your fancy. Let us know what your schedule is and maybe a few of us can get together. There are a few of us around the bay.

Now I know where that idea of yours came from.
Gary

Last edited by Damn Brit; 07-16-2008 at 01:57 AM.
07-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
gary

Not to sound anti social or ungrateful, but I will be travelling with less than fanatical photographers, i.e. my wife and 14 year old son.

The idea of the travel planning forum, was to share travel ideas, but not to plan get togethers as there was already a forum for that, and not all travellers are as interested in photography as the forum members.

This is an "accomodation" of my hobby within family travel plans.
07-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Might think about Golden Gate Park, the Presidio, short trip of GG Bridge to Sausalito (Marin County).

07-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Maybe a climb up to Twin Peaks (for the great view of The City), and a walk in Buena Vista Park ?
07-17-2008, 03:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your family will enjoy Chinatown, and so will your camera.

Where are you staying there? That is probably relevant to where you should go. I usually stay in Union Square, and I try to walk (or trolley) as much as possible. Will you have a car?
07-17-2008, 04:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Staying Close to union square and the cable car turn around. Plan to get pne of the passes for muni and cable car and not get a car until we go out of the city.

China town is on the list. I was in NY this year for chineese new year, and caught the parade there a little.

07-17-2008, 06:40 AM   #8

Stanford University may be something to check out, if that sort of thing interests you
07-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
It depends on where the smoke from the fires is unless they have got them all under control.
Here are a few suggestions: Monterey Bay and Aquarium, Napa Valley. There are some nice regional parks across the bay on the Oakland side : Sibley, Huckleberry, Redwood (Oakland) and Tilden (Berkeley) are all within about 15 minutes of each other. Lake Chabot is just outside Oakland. Lake Merrit is in Oakland. Chabot Observatory.

Hope some of these tickle your fancy. Let us know what your schedule is and maybe a few of us can get together. There are a few of us around the bay.

Now I know where that idea of yours came from.
Gary
Interesting. I had not thought much about going across the bay into oakland.

Monteray is probably out, as I don't intend to drive south of the city at all, just north along the coast and loop over to sonoma
07-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
what about angel Island?

ANy value in spending time there hiking? aside from the trails what is there to see/do on the island?
07-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If you're heading up from the SF , you might want to stop by Petaluma . Great little historic downtown . Jack London State Park in Glen Ellen (Sonoma) is a very cool hike

Fort Point , next to GG Bridge , is worth a look . You can get a view like this

And then the Sonoma Coast (Bodega , Jenner) will reward you with this

Have fun

Tran
07-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #12
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
gary

Not to sound anti social or ungrateful, but I will be travelling with less than fanatical photographers, i.e. my wife and 14 year old son.

The idea of the travel planning forum, was to share travel ideas, but not to plan get togethers as there was already a forum for that, and not all travellers are as interested in photography as the forum members.

This is an "accomodation" of my hobby within family travel plans.
You're right Lowell, you would have mentioned it if you had wanted to meet up with anyone. Sorry for being presumptuous.
Gary
07-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Gary

No harm done.

I am glad that I see others posting things also, and that there have been many responses to my first posting.

SOme I can and will do, some I am not so sure about, but I intend to post a review, good vs bad of where I have been when I get it all sorted and done.
07-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #14

Some SF ideas

Hi Lowell,

Some good visiting tips and additional links at this site.

I would consider an Alcatraz Island tour.

Definitely a visit to Fort Point (free), cruise/walk around the Presidio and Crissy Field and then walk across the GG Bridge but remember your sweatshirt. These are all in same area and will make a nice outing. Temps can easily be in the low 60's or lower with fog.

Scootcar Rentals, San Francisco's only Thrill Ride!Maybe you can rent a scooter? We always see tourists running about in these and they look like great fun plus a really easy way to see sights. Follow the waterfront from the Embarcadero, along Fisherman's Wharf (tourist trap) along/through the Presidio/Crissy Field to Ft Point.

From Ft Point head out to Lands End / Cliff House area.

Walk along the newly finished Lands End Trail - fantastic scenery on a clear day.
Some reviews Yelp is also a good site to poke through for local restaurant ideas and reviews.

From the Cliff House, scoot down to the Beach Chalet along the Great Highway/Ocean Beach for a burger. You can head east from Beach Chalet into GG Park.

Have fun and remember to layer! Temps from Downtown/Embacardero to the coast can vary by 10-15 degrees or more.

Cindy
07-27-2008, 07:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Have Fun Lowell - I just got back from San Fran, unfortunately it was a work thing, still I had Saturday and Sunday. I hooked up with Frank on Saturday. I would recommend as others have said Fort Point - some really good shots of the City and Golden Gate Bridge - bring a telezoom - city is quite a ways away - bridge on other hand is right there.

The Aquarium at Fisherman's Wharf is kinda cool. There is a surprisingly large variety of sea life in the Bay. A Harbor tour or a tour of Alcatraz is cool as well. Try and pre-book the Alcatraz trip if interested they sell out quick and there is no standby anymore.

I liked North Beach as well. Might be a reasonable sport for the family. You can get some more landscape pictures (Bridge included) and the family can go swimming.

On previous Trips I also went to Muir Woods. This is a nice nature walk. However having also been to Stanley Park in Vancouver I prefer the later. However there are no Red Woods in Stanley Park.

A game at AT&T Park is a must if you can. The park is beautiful - I am happy to say I have seen 4 Giant games over the years at this park. And I think it had 4 different names.

There is a Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum just down the street from Fisherman's wharf. If is $15.00 to get inside and the 14 yeah old might like it. The wife may be able to shop as there are hundreds of small shops along The Embarcadero

I would have loved to get a shot of Lombard Street I have seen it before but had no camera with me; I don’t think it is an easy place to get to but a wicked street.

Cable car ride (Hyde and Powell) is very cool. Think that goes right downtown ends up at Union Square (it was 2003 when we took it can't remember)- the other end is walking distance from Fisherman’s Wharf.

Santa Cruz is a neat place as well - drivable - amusement park on the beach it is where the movie Lost Boys was filmed. All of these are very mainstream tourist spots , but I enjoyed them all.

I hear ya on accomadating - heck if I drive to the coast it takes me almost twice as long cause I want to stop every 10 miles Hope you have fun.

Last edited by daacon; 07-27-2008 at 07:30 AM.